PDA

View Full Version : Crowd levels in April/May

MargaretMessler
07-28-2014, 08:27 PM
How do the crowds run generally in late April to early May? Similar to WDW? What day of the week is generally less busy?

We're planning on getting two day two park passes. Spending most of, if not all, the first day in the HP worlds. Then the second day checking everything else out, and maybe another swing thru HP. I want to give ourselves the best chance at a slower day/time. And we plan on being there prior to park opening.

Strmchsr
07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
I found Universal Crowds in May to be a little lower than WDW. More like WDW used to be. There's definitely folks there, but the crowds weren't horrible. Especially if you're staying on site and can use the early admission and express pass it's very doable (though you can't use the Express Pass at the HP rides).

Mfarquar
07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
I found Universal Crowds in May to be a little lower than WDW. More like WDW used to be. There's definitely folks there, but the crowds weren't horrible. Especially if you're staying on site and can use the early admission and express pass it's very doable (though you can't use the Express Pass at the HP rides).

Agreed!

Also, staying on site will also most likely allow you to enter the HP areas an hour earlier than the public, regardless of it being exempt from the FastPass.

Otherwise and especially if you are staying off-site, try to avoid Saturdays - they always seem much worse crowd-wise.

It is too early to tell at this point, but going on the historical data of sorts - the original Hogwart's area is usually much more manageable by around 3pm. First time visitors make a beeline for this area first thing in the morning. By 3pm, they've tuckered out and by the September after the original opening, we were finding 35 - 60 minute lines in the afternoon, which were totally doable. If you did the Single Rider Line at that time, you were looking at only about a 10 minute wait.

The same may be true for Diagon Alley by the time you visit. I'd keep my eye on trip reports to see if an somewhat afternoon lull starts to occur :)

MargaretMessler
07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. We were thinking a weekday would be best. Staying at WDW, so we can't take advantage of early entry, but totally willing to head out early. I experienced the same with the afternoon lull in Hogsmeade, we actually rode FJ four times in one day. Morning 2x and then afternoon 2x. I think the longest wait was 30 minutes - this was September last year.

Mfarquar
07-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I think your plan for a weekday visit is a very good one.

Here's to hoping you'll have a very nice lull in the afternoon for Diagon Alley and Gringott's! :)