PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Way to Vancouver?

DisnIse
07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
We booked an Alaskan cruise for next summer. I'm so crazy excited....

BUT, we are trying to keep travel costs down so we can spend a little more on excursions. We have a Southwest VISA, and we have a ton of points, but I am not sure if/how we could get from Seattle to Vancouver in the most cost effective way. Is it possible to rent a car and cross the border?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Chicago-to-Vancouver route?

marlyn
07-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Yes, you could rent a car and drive from Seattle. It's about a 3 hr drive straight up the I-5. You could also fly from Seattle.

DisnIse
07-23-2014, 07:58 AM
I think the rental car from Seattle makes the most sense, if we do this. I wasn't sure if it turns into more hassle than necessary, you know?

Just checked the weather for the upcoming week since it's one full year until our possible cruise and it's RAINING EVERY DAY. Hmmmm

marlyn
07-23-2014, 09:14 AM
It rains in Alaska....lots. You'd never hit a week without some rain. This is definitely not a "hang out by the pool" cruise! It can be quite chilly too. Dress in layers!

Janmac
09-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Is there a fee for one way for the car?

Trip Advisor has some tips for driving from Seattle to Vancouver, like a radio station to tune into for border wait times. (You'll have a passport?)

Amtrak has service from Seattle to Vancouver, either by rail or bus. Each is less than $50 per person, one way.

Jan