PDA

View Full Version : pin questions

Hog
07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
When trading pins with cast members do they just have to trade with you no matter if they want what you are trading? Yesterday it was my first ever trade and I traded a 2000 anniversary pin for madame mim. I just kinda said " I want that one" and my wife asked after what if she didn't want mine? I never thought of it. What is the etiquette? Also does anyone have a good way to keep the pins on lanyards? My daughter almost lost 2 pins using those cheap rubber mickey ears.. why did they ever switch from the metal backs?

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Yes, if you are trading with a CM, they have to trade with you, unless you are offering them a pin they already have on their lanyard.

DD is the pin trader in our house, and I can't think of a time she's ever had an issue at all with a CM taking the pin she is offering.

We've bought some locking backs, since we had the same issue with loosing pins, but they are a pain when trading. We do find that new Mickey backs are much better than one on a pin that has been taken off a number of times.

BrowncatP
07-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Yes, they have to take the pin that you give them. It is only the cast members that have pins that are trading pins with the guests. You can also try to trade with the other guests if they are willing.

Capt_redshirt
07-16-2014, 10:39 PM
The only exception to that rule is those with the child only lanyard. I think they are green in color. Tho its been my experience that if you are super polite those with the child only lanyards will let you trade.

kbean
07-17-2014, 07:58 AM
On ebay you can get a bag of 25 locking backs for like 15 bucks. So much cheaper then disney. But your already there. Disney sells a bag of 10 for 8 bucks i think. If your looking to put pins on backbacks and bags when your home, invest in a bag off ebay.

Ms. Mode
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I've purchased locking backs on Ebay for only a few dollars, but you have to watch because sometimes they come off the lanyard too. Also, when trading keep your back!

paymerich
07-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Semi-sneak suggestion follows:

I have purchased big lots of legitimate pins from EBAY for the kids to use for trading. I have paid roughly $1 a pin and then the kids trade them for what they really want.

I use only reputable sellers for my purchases btw.

BigRedDad
12-29-2014, 06:05 AM
My DD, DW, DS, and DM are the pin traders. I am the pack mule. My DD trades in volume. Buying lots of legal trading pins only makes sense. She is not trading to get that rare $500 pin that would not be on a CM anyway.

CMs are required to trade a pin with you except in a few minor exceptions:
1. You cannot trade a pin that they already have on their lanyard. This is partially circumvented if you only have one pin to trade, they will swap with another CM close by.

2. You are trading a non-Disney or unofficial trading pin. Pins are stamped on the back "Official Dinsey Trading Pin" or something else to that effect.

3. Teal or green colored lanyards are only tradable with kids 12 and under. I don't know the reason behind this, but it is. Respect it and don't get upset if you are an adult.

Capt_redshirt
01-15-2015, 12:35 AM
3. Teal or green colored lanyards are only tradable with kids 12 and under. I don't know the reason behind this, but it is. Respect it and don't get upset if you are an adult.

I think it has a lot to do with the reason i as an adult would trade vs a child might trade. If you were to look at some of the pins that are on there a pin shark would be chomping at the bit to get them. A child wouldn't care if its limited edition as long as they are happy to trade it for another pin that they really want

Minnie97
03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
The Disney Cast Members will trade any p