PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorms and waterparks

tsantillo
07-15-2014, 09:36 AM
So I was hoping against hope that my family would not get rained out next week at the waterparks. It's not looking so good, though. I should have known better, since I was born and raised Floridian. :mickey:

We are planning to get the FL Res Waterparks after 2 passes, since they are such a good price and the teen doesn't care to get up early every day. :alarm:

Can anyone walk me through a typical Central FL afternoon at the waterpark with thunderstorms approaching? Do they just shut the rides down for lightning or does any threat call a halt? Does everyone just hang around and wait for the all clear? At what point does the park shut down completely? :confused:

Any insight would be appreciated. In the meantime, I guess I'll make a backup plan. :unsure:

Strmchsr
07-15-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't remember the exact distance, but when lightning is detected within a certain radius (I think it's 10 miles, but again I don't remember for sure) the park is shut down until lightning is past. No lightning, no bother, but during the summer it's going to be thunderstorms and that means pretty intense lightning. Generally they form in the 2-5 pm time frame and will impact the water parks anywhere from 1-2 hours. The storms are not very big, then tend to move pretty quickly, but they are quite intense when they're over you. Lightning kills more people each year than tornadoes and hurricanes combined, so it's a very real concern. As for next week, thunderstorms will form every afternoon but nothing out of the ordinary. It's about a 50-50 shot whether one will come over your location. Just keep a check on the weather forecast thread for any changes.

SBETigg
07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
From past waterpark experience, they know before you do that a thunderstorm is coming and they issue loud warnings of what is about to come, and then it sometimes becomes a mass exit situation. Which isn't as bad as it sounds, with multiple buses coming for a crowd that spreads out between multiple destination options, and there are always some stragglers who think they are going to wait it out.

At the waterparks, they are very prepared when it comes to storms. I would go and enjoy my time and let them worry about it, knowing I will have warning and time to leave if it becomes necessary.

chefmickey3
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
We have been at TL during storms - two years in a row - the park tends to clear out and then you have the slides to yourself! I wouldn't worry about what might happen especially if you can get the tickets at a decent price. We had rented a cabana and still felt like we got our money's worth despite the storms. Some of our favorite family memories!

missymouseworld
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't remember the exact distance, but when lightning is detected within a certain radius (I think it's 10 miles, but again I don't remember for sure) the park is shut down until lightning is past.

We were just on vacation at WDW and at the resort pool, the lifeguard told us that when a strike was within 6 miles, they have to shut down the pool for 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes for each strike after the first occurs until the coast is clear. I don't know if that is the same for the waterparks, but that was the rule at the GF resort.

Strmchsr
07-15-2014, 02:40 PM
We were just on vacation at WDW and at the resort pool, the lifeguard told us that when a strike was within 6 miles, they have to shut down the pool for 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes for each strike after the first occurs until the coast is clear. I don't know if that is the same for the waterparks, but that was the rule at the GF resort.

That's probably the same limit for the water parks, too. 6 miles is reasonable. The basic rule of thumb is if you can hear the thunder, the lightning can hit you.

AgentC
07-15-2014, 04:08 PM
I know over here in the Tampa area most places do 5-10 miles and the 1/2 hour rule.

One thing I did find interesting is that Legoland uses 25 miles or at least that's what they told us when we where there last month. We are used to being careful with lightening but it was pretty disappointing to have rides closed when the sky was bright blue. :(