PDA

View Full Version : Are these things really accurate

Urbss
07-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone, we are taking our first cruise in a few months and I have a couple of questions about things i recently read about DCL. Can anyone verify if these two statements are true?

1. You must bring your prescription medication in the original prescription containers. (not a pill planner or something)

2. Children that are not potty-trained CAN NOT use any of the swimming pools, just the water play areas.

Both of these things really bother me. I would think a swim diaper would suffice and as for the medication, some of my original containers would take up a lot of room in my packing - I always pack however many days I need in a weekly pill planner (or zip lock bags separating morning and evening pills.)

Thanks for you help!!

BrerGnat
07-13-2014, 06:38 PM
1. Not accurate. I always hand carry my medication bag and I always just use one large bottle for three different prescription migraine meds. I have never had to justify my meds to anyone, nor has anyone ever looked at them.

2. Unfortunately, this one is true and there is NO leeway on this rule. It is actually not Disney's rule but a health regulation that every cruise line must follow. The issue is the the pools onboard do not have filter systems and cannot be "shocked" after being contaminated. The process is to drain the entire pool and scrub it down with disinfectant. This is time consuming and impacts too many passengers to have to do regularly. Swim Diapers will contain solid waste but will not prevent water contamination. They are best used in natural bodies of water. DCL enforces this policy very strictly.

The toddler water play areas onboard used filtered, chlorinated water and they are where diaper aged children must stay. Luckily, they are very fun areas.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-13-2014, 08:27 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the pools on most cruise ships (and DCL) aren't all that great. The play areas are super fun, and I think will be more enjoyed than the pool would be anyways.

My Mom brings her pills in a weekly pill container, and no one even looked at them at all.

BrerGnat
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the pools on most cruise ships (and DCL) aren't all that great. The play areas are super fun, and I think will be more enjoyed than the pool would be anyways.

My Mom brings her pills in a weekly pill container, and no one even looked at them at all.

I agree! My kids are older but my 6 y/o (at the time) still loved Nemo's reef on the Dream, more than either pool. We weren't sure if he was allowed in there because it is designed for the little ones, but we asked the crew member overseeing the area and were assured he was welcome to play as long as he was mindful of the little ones. It's a really fun area and in the shade so it stays cool and no sunburn risk.

1DisneyNut
07-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Just an FYI, it is actually illegal in many states to transport prescription medication outside of it's original prescription containers with the prescription label. You could actually be detained and possibly arrested if caught with many prescription medications in other containers.....in particular narcotics/pain killers. Even in the states that it is not specifically illegal to carry them in other containers, you must carry a copy of the prescription to prove you have a valid legal prescription for the medication. How else can law enforcement or customs tell the difference between someone who just bought some illegal pain killers on the street for their recreational use and those who have a valid reason and prescription? So it is for legal reasons that policy is in place.

As for the second rule. That is in place because kids have accidents in pools, even with swim diapers. Once a pool dumpling gets set free, they have to drain, clean, refill and treat the pool. Then you have a lot of upset guests because the pool is out of order for possibly days or maybe the rest of the trip. So that policy is for both health safety as well as expense and customer satisfaction.

BrerGnat
07-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Just an FYI, it is actually illegal in many states to transport prescription medication outside of it's original prescription containers with the prescription label. You could actually be detained and possibly arrested if caught with many prescription medications in other containers.....in particular narcotics/pain killers. Even in the states that it is not specifically illegal to carry them in other containers, you must carry a copy of the prescription to prove you have a valid legal prescription for the medication. How else can law enforcement or customs tell the difference between someone who just bought some illegal pain killers on the street for their recreational use and those who have a valid reason and prescription? So it is for legal reasons that policy is in place.

As for the second rule. That is in place because kids have accidents in pools, even with swim diapers. Once a pool dumpling gets set free, they have to drain, clean, refill and treat the pool. Then you have a lot of upset guests because the pool is out of order for possibly days or maybe the rest of the trip. So that policy is for both health safety as well as expense and customer satisfaction.

Thanks for this information. I was not aware of this. It seems like TSA has similar rules. I'm glad to learn about this since we are traveling to the caribbean later this week. I will bring my meds in their original bottles. Thanks!