PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club: Less Than Magical Honeymoon Issue

SBETigg
07-11-2014, 04:35 PM
My sister and her husband are currently at the Beach Club for her Disney Honeymoon. They're doing a split stay. Had a few days at the Poly first despite construction because it's her favorite. The construction was a bummer, but the club level staff was fantastic, went above and beyond.

Now she's at the Beach Club for the remainder (until next Friday). They paid for Club Level, but she's surprised at the room. It's standard club level, but super tiny, like closet sized, with only one bed that looks like a double bed. Her husband is 6'3 and she's 5'11. They're average weight people, but fitting both of them in that bed comfortably is not easy. She told them she was willing to move, change rooms, change resorts, anything they could do. The concierge told them everything was full and they couldn't do a thing for them. Also, the Concierge just handed them their packet and said he was too busy to show them around or go over anything. I find this less than magical, and somewhat unacceptable. I recommended she try again, maybe speak to a supervisor.

But I'm also considering that she may have gotten what she paid for. I want her to have the most magical honeymoon ever because she's my kid sister, but maybe she's expecting too much? Can anyone tell me, is that an acceptable standard club level room? Does she have just cause to expect more? What do you all think? Any recommendations?

VWL Mom
07-11-2014, 04:54 PM
So the description of the room states:

Views of Rooftop or Parking Area:
2 Queen Beds and 1 Day Bed
or 2 Queen Beds
or 1 Queen Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair and 1 day bed
or 1 King Bed

It sounds like she may have gotten the one queen bed arrangement which is what they paid for.

When we stayed at Poly CL two years ago I did on-line check-in and experienced the same type of service from the concierge. They were pleasant but just handed us our things and sent us on our way.

I hope she can see through the rough start and enjoy the rest of her stay.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Doesn't sound like club level service to me:(

SBETigg
07-11-2014, 05:00 PM
So the description of the room states:
It sounds like she may have gotten the one queen bed arrangement which is what they paid for.

When we stayed at Poly CL two years ago I did on-line check-in and experienced the same type of service from the concierge. They were pleasant but just handed us our things and sent us on our way.

I hope she can see through the rough start and enjoy the rest of her stay.

They may be calling it a queen, but she sent me a picture and that is no queen bed. Though, pictures can be deceiving I suppose. I would have to be there to see. And there is no other furniture in the room that would qualify as a sleeper chair or day bed. Just the one bed.

She's a very optimistic woman. I've rarely heard her complain about a thing. She's always sunny and upbeat. So having this upset her made me upset on her behalf. But I know she will make the best of it, whatever happens. That's what she does. Thanks for the information, Lynn.

BrerGnat
07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
I would recommend going down to the front desk. Ask for a manager. Explain the unhappiness with the room. I doubt the entire resort is 100% occuoied. There are always rooms available for contingencies. They can be moved to a different room on another floor but still keep the CL access. It's worth a shot. The BC at one time DID have a few rooms with double beds. It was well known. They were supposed to have gotten rid of them during the last refurb but I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck them randomly into the smaller rooms at the BC (and yes, there are some smaller rooms at that resort. It is odd in that not all rooms are the same size.

SBETigg
07-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Very Magical Update!

Natalie, that's exactly what I told her to do, go to the front desk and speak to a manager there. I told her to be sweet and patient (natural for her) and just explain why the room was less than magical for them and see if they had any options. I also recommended that she offer to pay for an upgrade to lagoon view if that's what they had available. She took my advice. And...

The manager was helpful, apologetic, and moved them right into a lagoon view room with a balcony and king bed at the Yacht Club, club level. View upgrade, no extra charge. She's over the moon. I'm so glad they worked with her to make sure she was happy. My sister and her new husband were not expecting something for nothing. They simply wanted what they requested and felt they paid for, and in the end, Disney went above and beyond. YAY!

Extra note: It's his first time at WDW and he was humoring her, not expecting to love it. He was less than impressed with the construction at the Poly. He really likes the atmosphere over on the Epcot side of things. I think he's more Epcot and she's more Seven Seas Lagoon. But the main thing is that she impresses him enough to return, because she's such a Disney lover. I think now she stands a chance. :)

faline
07-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Good to hear. I will say I have found Disney quit willing to work with folks if things are not working out. We once booked a king bed room at Port Orleans French Quarter. Due to changes in our reservation - some of which were my fault for not checking more completely - our reservation was switched to a room with double rooms. They had no more king bed rooms available but did offer us a queen bed room at Coronado Springs - not as good as king but something I can manage with. Once we moved over to that resort, we had an excellent trip - better than we had expected.

Mickey'sGirl
07-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Your poor sister, Sherri! I'm glad they worked it out! We stayed in the Club Level at the Beach Club two years ago, and though we really enjoyed our stay, we weren't overly impressed by the Club amenities there. Glad they were moved successfully!

VWL Mom
07-11-2014, 07:37 PM
So glad it worked out for her.

BrerGnat
07-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Yay! Great ending.

brownie
07-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Glad they were able to get it worked out!

yankeesfan123
07-12-2014, 12:40 PM
While I don't necessarily think that the room issue was any if the resorts doing, the concierge definitely could have been more helpful with the ins and outs of the resort (especially at club level) and also could have directed them someplace else who might've been able to help with the room.

A concierge is a dying bread. They are, at this point, completely unnecessary and are only a luxury (especially at Disney with MDE). They should realize that and go above and beyond to give the illusion that they are useful or else they'll all be jobless in a few years.

AgentC
07-13-2014, 12:56 AM
I'm so glad it all turned out great for them. It sounds like their original room was smaller than the non club level rooms I've stayed in. I hope the rest of their trip is great/

hauntedmansiongirl
07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks goodness it all worked out!!! I hope that the rest of their honeymoon is perfect!!:mickey:

Checkers
07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
So happy for them! And, I definitely expect more from concierge than just handing me a package, too.

Hope the rest of their honeymoon is magical!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Glad it worked out:mickey:

kakn7294
07-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Glad it all worked out! When you pay for club level, I would expect that Disney would do all that they can to make a stay magical at those prices. I've had nicer experiences at the values with long lines of people waiting to check in.

SBETigg
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
They also asked the concierge, mid-vacation, if they could add Water Parks and More to their Magic Bands, and he told them they could not because they had a split stay. That sounded off to me. I told her to try the front desk, but they ended up heading to Guest Relations at Typhoon Lagoon and working it out there.

yankeesfan123
07-15-2014, 03:27 PM
They also asked the concierge, mid-vacation, if they could add Water Parks and More to their Magic Bands, and he told them they could not because they had a split stay. That sounded off to me. I told her to try the front desk, but they ended up heading to Guest Relations at Typhoon Lagoon and working it out there.

Well I'd hope that one not-so-well-trained concierge wouldn't ruin their honeymoon...

SBETigg
07-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Well I'd hope that one not-so-well-trained concierge wouldn't ruin their honeymoon...

Absolutely not. They carried on anyway, as I said. Just expressing my surprise (not real surprise, I know it happens) that the CMs don't always know. I always expect the service to be there, even though I know it sometimes isn't. But it's never even close to a vacation killer.

pixiesmimi
07-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Our last trip I booked the Club Level at BC with Lagoon view because my DH was coming home from Iraq and it was my birthday. I wanted something special. It was 4th of July week. We were greeted when we got out of our car at the front door by a CM and taken straight up to the Club Level. I was impressed. I had requested a balcony room. The room we were given was way, way down at the end of the last hall, far away from the lounge and was the last room on the end. It was very quiet and private but a long way from the lounge. It had a balcony, a one person balcony that you could only stand on and it overlooked the roof and if you leaned out and looked could see the lagoon. :( The room was large with only one bed but don't think it was a King. I told my husband I was very disappointed for what we had paid and we walked back down to the desk and asked if we could have another room. The CM was very helpful but said there wasn't anything else. Then she said she found another room and put us in one closer to the lounge but still a long walk. It did have a balcony and overlooked the swimming pool and lagoon. But the room was smaller and had a queen bed. Rather than move again, I just accepted this as fine. Little did we know, it was right next to the service elevator (well hidden from the hall) and that banged up and down all night with people coming and going. It was very hard to sleep. Now I know why the room was available. They probably don't put anyone there unless they have to. I wished later that we had just kept the first room and dealt with it. For what we paid for this room, I was very upset but we just lived with it. We decided we would not stay at Club Level at BC again and waste that money. It was nice having the Lounge but that wasn't worth what we paid. I tried to get a BC standard room this trip to compare the two but none were available so I took one at the Yacht Club to compare. Now just hoping we don't have to cancel our Sept trip because it was hard to get a room with the Wine and Food Festival going on but DH is scheduled to ship out to Iraq again and may not be here for our trip that has been scheduled since May. :(

SBETigg
07-24-2014, 12:16 AM
I think I stayed in that first room you mention when I was at the Beach Club, but it was definitely a king bed so maybe not. It did overlook YC rooftops and it was a long walk. But what a bummer, two disappointing rooms. And when your DH was home from Iraq and going back again? I'm sorry. Our heroes deserve the very best, and thank you to your family and to your DH for his service.

pixiesmimi
07-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Thank you, Sherri! Yes, I guess we should have been happy and kept the first room. Hindsight. I just found out yesterday that DH leaves next week to go back to Iraq. So I guess I will be cancelling our anniversary trip in Sept. :( If anyone is looking for a room at the Yacht Club, one will be available for the week of Sept 20-28. I tried to find someone else to go with me (wouldn't be the same but at least we would be going) but no luck. So....But I am glad they extended the military discount through next year. Maybe when he comes back... :)

BriarRose0708
07-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Thank you, Sherri! Yes, I guess we should have been happy and kept the first room. Hindsight. I just found out yesterday that DH leaves next week to go back to Iraq. So I guess I will be cancelling our anniversary trip in Sept. :( If anyone is looking for a room at the Yacht Club, one will be available for the week of Sept 20-28. I tried to find someone else to go with me (wouldn't be the same but at least we would be going) but no luck. So....But I am glad they extended the military discount through next year. Maybe when he comes back... :)

Sorry you had to cancel :( I hope the time he's away goes by quickly and your husband returns home safe!!

pixiesmimi
07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Thank You! :) I'll be dreaming of the next trip sometime next year hopefully. :)