PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been thinking of doing, could use some help!

savafan
07-10-2014, 12:05 AM
I'll try to break this down as succinctly as possible. This November, my wife and I will be taking the 2 kids for a trip to Walt Disney World, for the first time as a complete family. This will be the third consecutive year she and I go in November, having previously celebrated our 2nd and 3rd wedding anniversaries at Walt Disney World. This year, due to scheduling, we'll be down there the week before our 4th anniversary, but I still hope to make it a special trip.

Which brings me to the back story. When we got married, we did it in a fairly rushed fashion. There wasn't really a proposal on my part, just an agreement by the two of us to get married. Having just started a new job after being out of work for a couple months, I didn't have money for a ring, and she wore a $20 clearance prom dress that she found at Macy's. We had a private ceremony in a one room chapel with only the kids and our parents present. Over the last several years, she has commented on how she now wishes she would have had that romantic proposal, and gotten to wear a beautiful dress, and have that big party.

The last year has been particularly trying for us. We went through a child custody battle for her daughter, which we won, and then ended up having our son evaluated and diagnosed with ADHD following a difficult first year of school.

From a financial standpoint, I'm in a much better place than I was 4 years ago, as I now oversee the entire office that I had just started working in shortly before we got married. We're not rolling in the cash, but we're now able to move up to moderate resorts after staying at the values over the last couple years. Disney World has become a very special place for us and our family over the past couple years, and I know she loves the fairy tale euphoria of it all. She's my real life princess, and I would like to finally do right by her, and give her that proposal that she's always dreamed of, asking her to do a reaffirmation ceremony in one year's time for our 5th anniversary, where she can finally have the type of wedding that she had once dreamed of.

So, here's where I need your help. How do I best go about pulling off this type of proposal at Disney World? I'll be more than happy to share any details and answer any questions any of you may have that can help to come up with the perfect plan for making her dream come true.

faline
07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Perhaps you can go on a horse drawn carriage ride and propose along the way - you could ask the assistance of your driver.

With all the construction going on in the Center of the Magic Kingdom, it might be a while before that becomes a lovely place to propose again.

There are some lovely garden areas in Epcot which might be perfect for a proposal.

You could have dinner at Cinderella's Castle and make arrangements with cast members there to bring the ring to your table at the end of the meal - I don't know if they still do it but I have heard of folks having a ring delivered in a glass slipper.

Perhaps you can arrange a photography session at someplace like the Grand Floridian and propose while in the midst of the picture taking - make arrangements with your photographer to assist.

BriarRose0708
07-10-2014, 08:25 AM
If I were to ever be proposed to at Disney here's what I might envision:

During fireworks at the Magic Kingdom or even IllumiNations at EPCOT

Over a romantic dinner at one of the signature restaurants like Artist Point or Jiko. If you can time it right and work with the staff maybe try for a late reservation at California Grill and propose during Wishes, they pipe in the music and you can go on the observation deck to watch. Like Linda said, you can ask the staff to bring out the ring with dessert. If a dinner won't work, go watch Wishes from the beach at the Polynesian and propose there.

Arrange with the Disney florist for a nice floral arrangement and chocolates to be placed in your room so when you come back after a fun day touring the parks she's totally surprised and wondering who set that up, and then you can swoop in and propose. The in room safe would be a good place to store the ring while you're out and about, I'd be so nervous about keeping it with me all day.

Hope that helps. I am now fighting the urge to copy that and send it to my boyfriend, lol!

Mickey'sGirl
07-10-2014, 08:33 AM
What about a Fireworks cruise? It would be more private, and still spectacular!

minnie04
07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Does she have a special place in any of the parks that is a must see or do when you go. that might be a good place or maybe at DHS go to fantasmic and (arrange of course ahead of time) they are always playing games and doing things with the crowd before the show starts. Maybe they can help you pull it off. That would be really cool. I honestly think any where you do this, she is going to love. You could also just go with the flow of the day and when the time is right (you will know when it is) then just make it happen. I know I would be surprised no matter what it was and this way you won’t have to worry about plans ahead of time and rushing to make it happen. :mickey:

RedSoxFan
07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Hope that helps. I am now fighting the urge to copy that and send it to my boyfriend, lol![/QUOTE]

Want me to send it to Jamie via FB? (LOL)

BrerGnat
07-10-2014, 06:03 PM
What is her favorite spot at WDW?

savafan
07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
You could have dinner at Cinderella's Castle and make arrangements with cast members there to bring the ring to your table at the end of the meal - I don't know if they still do it but I have heard of folks having a ring delivered in a glass slipper.

I haven't been able to snag a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table, but we do have a reservation at Akershus.

savafan
07-10-2014, 08:04 PM
What is her favorite spot at WDW?

If I had to guess, basing off of her previous reactions, her favorite spots are BOG at MK, Captain EO (don't laugh, she's a big MJ fan), Japan in World Showcase, and meeting Pocahontas at AK was her childhood dream come true when we went there the first time.

savafan
07-10-2014, 08:06 PM
If a dinner won't work, go watch Wishes from the beach at the Polynesian and propose there.

That's an interesting idea :mickey:

BriarRose0708
07-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Want me to send it to Jamie via FB? (LOL)

Hahahahah Tracey, so tempting!

faline
07-11-2014, 07:55 AM

With all the construction going on at the Polynesian, this might not be the best location at this point in time.

Japan in Epcot has some lovely, and often secluded gardens. If you could get a Be Our Guest reservation, you might also be able to have staff there help you!

savafan
07-11-2014, 08:57 PM
If you could get a Be Our Guest reservation, you might also be able to have staff there help you!

I've been checking for this every day, 3X a day. No luck yet, but I will not be deterred.

faline
07-12-2014, 01:12 PM
I've been checking for this every day, 3X a day. No luck yet, but I will not be deterred.

Yes. Keep trying. We got our last reservation there well after our 180 day booking window had passed. Guess I just hit it lucky.

SBETigg
07-12-2014, 01:21 PM

No, don't plan anything near the Polynesian now. Construction is a mess over there. It would be the least romantic setting at this time, until well into 2015.

Japan is a beautiful setting. I'm a private person and a quiet proposal in the gardens of Japan would impress me. But if she likes attention, perhaps the princesses at Akershus would help you out a little with your plans. And of course, if you can't get BOG ADRs for dinner, you could always plan an afternoon proposal over a BOG counter service lunch.

Janmac
07-14-2014, 03:47 PM
She's your princess, Akershus seems like a good idea. Especially if you'd like to surprise her.

I'm thinking Belle might be one of her favorites? Maybe something can be arranged during the photo op?

Are you the person who does the checking in at the podium? Makes it easier to say, I'm the guy with the special request.

Whatever you plan, good luck and let us know how it worked out.

Jan

Pirate Granny
07-16-2014, 08:11 PM
I've seen a couple of proposals at the wishing well to the left side of the castle looking towards Main Street. It's in a little alcove walking from behind the castle towards cosmic rays. Need to go before the fireworks as I believe they rope it off.

I also saw a proposal at the very end of the night, where they were getting photo pass pictures at the front of the castle and the guy went down on one knee and the photo pass gal just keep taking pictures of the proposal, answer and other family members joining in. It was quite special.