PDA

View Full Version : International Gateway

jclightchasr
07-03-2014, 11:55 AM
My Family and I will be staying on Disney property for the first time ever this coming up September at The Beach Club. We could of course just walk to international gateway. However, its been years since we've been to Disney and two of my kids were too young to remember our last trip. We will only be going to Epcot 1 day. My question is this: does entering through international gateway lose some of the Disney Magic versus the anticipation build up of going in through the front entrance? If so, I can certainly drive over the the main entrance. We will have a rental car and there won't be a parking charge. We would be going in an hour early with EMH on Sept. 30th.

miltimo5
07-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I am not sure about the magic experience, but i would check the times...since you would be entering into World Showcase, and they dont open until 11... does the gateway open at 11? do you want to do anything at future world? you are coming in at the other side of the park so will have to walk all the way around to start. worth a phone call to disney to find out

faline
07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
I am not sure about the magic experience, but i would check the times...since you would be entering into World Showcase, and they dont open until 11... does the gateway open at 11?

The International Gateway is always open during normal park hours to allow entry to folks who are staying at Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin. Until 11, folks can go as far as France to the right (as France is open for breakfast) or walk through United Kingdom and Canada to access the rest of the park. The shops and restaurants in this area will not be open until 11 a.m.

SBETigg
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
The International Gateway entrance opens at the same time as the main entrance. You simply walk through World Showcase to Future World. And in fact, the bakery in France is open for breakfast service at that time (usually 9 am).

I don't find it any more or less exciting to use the International Gateway. Especially if you would be coming in from the parking lot for the main entrance. I do think it's pretty special to whisk around in the monorail first, but not special enough to park near the MK and take the monorail in when the International Gateway is right there, an easy walk from Beach Club. It's also much quicker and easier to just breeze in from the International Gateway, without the lines of the main entrance. And walking through World Showcase without crowds is pretty special, too. So, each entrance has advantages, and I don't think you're missing any big moment by going in the back way, so to speak.

DizneyRox
07-03-2014, 12:36 PM
The only thing better than the Epcot Entrance Music is the Innoventions Background Music Loop. If it's been a while, I'd drive up front. You can leave via International Gateway though, so I'd actually consider (if you have time) bussing to MK and take a couple of monorail rides over. You're eating a lot of time, but I do think there's a bit of magic by walking through the entrance plaza to Epcot and under Spaceship Earth that makes it much more special than International Gateway. As a seasoned veteran, I'd walk, but if you're there for the experience, use the front entrance.

Edit: Oh, I see EMH, that might make using Disney transport harder. Maybe drive and have someone move the car 1/2 through the day if possible.

DisneyGiant
07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
It's definitely less magical to walk in through the International Gateway - but it's also less crowded!

We usually will see the front entrance when we go to Spaceship Earth or sometimes we'll take the monorail back from the MK to Epcot - then walk through Epcot to get back to our resort. Then we get the front entrance view.

Have fun!!!

jclightchasr
07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Great Advice from all thank you so Much!!

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
07-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I think it is quite a bit more magical to walk in through the International Gateway. The front entrance to Epcot is nothing special, and, in fact, I prefer avoiding it due to the "masusoleum" between the entrance gates and Spaceship Earth. I find the International Gateway entrance area and walk from there to Future World to be very pleasant and serene (and, as other posters have said, not nearly as crowded). Not only do I not think that it is worth the time and effort to go around to the front, but I think that it is much better entering through the International Gateway. Don't forget - this is Disney. It isn't like you are entering through some back alley. It is a real entrance with theming, music, etc.

Sylvia
07-04-2014, 01:35 AM
The front entrance to Epcot is nothing special

I disagree, although the International Gateway is a great welcome to World Showcase, Spaceship Earth is the perfect welcome to EPCOT. There is nothing more special than the first sight of SSE, similar to the first sight of the Castle at MK. After all these years, I still get the same magical feeling when I see SSE, stop to take yet another photo before walking under it, and listen to the entrance music, which has always been one of my favorite pieces of Disney music.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
It is neat to see the park icon when you walk in. However, since they added the "mausoleum" between the entrance gates and SSE, I think that feel is ruined. Until the mausoleum is removed and something more appealing is put in its place, I will strongly prefer the International Gateway entrance.

Nevertheless, all of this goes a bit further than the question posed by the original poster. The question seemed to me to be a cost-benefit analysis of going out of the way to use the front entrance, if it is far more spectacular than then International Gateway, versus the convenience of the International Gateway. I have made clear that I prefer the International Gateway entrance. But even putting aside my own preference, I think that the inconvenience of driving around to the front entrance far outweighs the benefit of seeing the park icon and hearing the entrance music at the front entrance, even for those who prefer the front entrance. The International Gateway is nice and is such a benefit for those staying at an Epcot Resort.

texas211
07-05-2014, 02:37 PM
We did the same thing last year (stayed at the Dolphin).

It was nice taking the boat, but yeah, did lose some of that magic and seeing the great SE when you first walk in, the landscaping, the sounds.

Plus, if you get there before 11, you are kinda ushered towards FW, which is a bit of a walk right off the bat. Course, we were there for the food and wine festival, so we went to Soarin, then came back to eat/drink.