PDA

View Full Version : Magic Band.....can I make it a necklace?

DunkinNut
07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I REALLY don't wear much jewelry. I especially don't like jewelry in hot weather. And that "sticky" feeling MB did not appeal to me in June. I was considering cutting off that straps, leaving the reader/Mickey head in tack....home punching it, and wearing it as a "necklace" on a light weight lanyard. Any reason Disney would oppose? Thoughts? TIA

Pirate Granny
07-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Son in law put his on his belt loop...

John
07-02-2014, 10:37 PM
I REALLY don't wear much jewelry. I especially don't like jewelry in hot weather. And that "sticky" feeling MB did not appeal to me in June. I was considering cutting off that straps, leaving the reader/Mickey head in tack....home punching it, and wearing it as a "necklace" on a light weight lanyard. Any reason Disney would oppose? Thoughts? TIA

I don't think they'd "oppose" per se - the key part is that the RFID reader is in tact but I would think the whole convenience thing would be out the window. Anyway, it might be worth a shot. Maybe they'll get an idea from you ;)

I just want a watch integrated into it - so a) I can use it after I'm done with the parks and b) so I don't have to wear a watch...

DunkinNut
07-02-2014, 11:04 PM
What a terrific idea a watch is!!! Also....the typos in my post are horrifying. It had to be said! LOL

Pirate Granny
07-03-2014, 06:34 AM
That'll be a lot of bending as the Mickey heads to scan are stationary and on poles about 3-1/2 feet high. Or you will have to take it off each time for FP+, twice normally for each ride. I NEVER wear jewelry and didn't find it bad, I kept it lose and we were there for two hot weeks in June.

Katzateer
07-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I REALLY don't wear much jewelry. I especially don't like jewelry in hot weather. And that "sticky" feeling MB did not appeal to me TIA

I don't wear jewelry either but the band did not bother me as much as I thought it would. I did take it off in the parks a few times and put it in my bag.

buzznwoodysmom
07-03-2014, 12:17 PM
OP, if you carry a purse in the parks it's really easy to attach it to the strap of your purse and just slide it to where you need it at attractions, park entrances, or your room.

My son couldn't wear his band for more than an hour or so. He would develop a light rash where the manic band was. I would attach his to my purse strap to hold for him and it was very convenient. I take a Disney Dooney and Bourke letter carrier bag into the parks. The straps of the bag are thin enough that the magic band slides easily into place when you need it.

kakn7294
07-04-2014, 08:48 AM
I just want a watch integrated into it - so a) I can use it after I'm done with the parks and b) so I don't have to wear a watch...

I second this! I wore mine in place of a watch. I can't tell you how many times I checked my Magic Band for the time only to remember that it was not my watch.

yankeesfan123
07-04-2014, 11:15 AM
I second this! I wore mine in place of a watch. I can't tell you how many times I checked my Magic Band for the time only to remember that it was not my watch.

Fitbit should release their own line of Magic Bands.

yankeesfan123
07-04-2014, 07:08 PM
So, how do you "bump" it up to the Mickey activator or room door?

I can think of a way but it's probably not family friendly.

vallerii
07-07-2014, 05:45 PM
I am so with you on this idea. I hate wearing bracelets when it's hot (esp. that type of material) and am brainstorming more creative ways to wear/attach it like a necklace.

It's be nice if they'd come out with some sort of lanyard pass option.

#1donaldfan
07-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Would cutting it open let moisture in and ruin the chip ?? It does sound like a good idea though.....:thumbsup:

Imalismom
07-08-2014, 05:34 PM
I put it on my purse strap - had no problem with it being there.

PopPhan
07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I am so with you on this idea. I hate wearing bracelets when it's hot (esp. that type of material) and am brainstorming more creative ways to wear/attach it like a necklace.

It's be nice if they'd come out with some sort of lanyard pass option.

Maybe you could coat the back of the MB with baby powder to try to keep it from getting too moist......Just a thought.

Janmac
07-09-2014, 05:24 PM
My son couldn't wear his band for more than an hour or so. He would develop a light rash where the manic band was.

I'm sorry, Denise. Your typo above was great, considering the topic. :blush:

Anyway, I thought I read somewhere that guests don't have to have a band but can opt for a card instead?

Jan

DunkinNut
07-20-2014, 12:37 PM
THANKS EVERYBODY. I have an old band i'll experiment with. Would have to cut far enough from the center to not expose the workings for sure. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-20-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, Denise. Your typo above was great, considering the topic. :blush:

Jan

Ha! I hadn't even noticed! I've also heard them called tragic bands. Lol.

SBETigg
07-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Is it possible you could still opt to use an RFID key card instead of going with the Magic Band? It seems like they would offer this option as long as it had the technology embedded.

WDWCrazyKaren
07-21-2014, 11:01 AM
I use a small cross-body bag, and it worked great on my purse strap. I wore it on my wrist most of the time, but sometimes it would just annoy me out of the blue, and at that time, would just slip it on my purse strap. If you carry a bag, it is an option anyway.

yankeesfan123
07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Ha! I hadn't even noticed! I've also heard them called tragic bands. Lol.

Oh yea. I've heard Tragical Express for years, too.