PDA

View Full Version : Stay with kids at Grand Floridian?

acts
07-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I heard that they put in a new water feature play area at the GF. Is this true? Going with my sisters and their kids (total of 4 kids, ages 3-9). Is this worth the money?

Don't want to stay at the Poly due to construction. We stayed at the Contemp last summer. We wanted to stay a monorail hotel. Please offer any suggestions. Perhaps we should consider the WL too?

Thanks for your help!

Katzateer
07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
I have friends that always stayed at GF until. #4 and 5 came along, then couldn't stay in standard rooms. The kids loved saying there ( and I will admit, I was jealous.)

SBETigg
07-01-2014, 05:33 PM
We stayed with our kids at the GF well before the water feature came along and they loved it. There are two great pools, one of them zero entry with a fabulous slide, good shops and restaurants, lots to explore in the lobby. I think it's a great resort for children. But then I've never found it stuffy or uncomfortable either, as some people do. The Poly is the favorite for my two, admittedly, and now they're grown up, but they have been quite happy at the GF, too.

Now that the water feature is there, there's even more reason for kids to enjoy. It's Alice in Wonderland/Mad Tea Party themed, and very cute. Looks like a lot of fun.

Kairi_7378
07-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I would certainly stay at the Grand Floridian with children. (Even without the water feature.) I think that the architect hit a very nice balance of elegance without stuffiness. I particularly liked watching children dancing in the lobby to the live music. You would be in a fantastic location.

I enjoy the theming at the Wilderness Lodge as well... Just don't feel that you have to stay there because of the kids. Both resorts have great appeal to families, IMO.

Pirate Granny
07-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Just back with two 7 yr olds, a 5 and 4.. They loved the splash feature...more than the pool, even though the oldest boy (at 7) was too tall to go down the slide...he could play in all the other features, just not the slide and he still had a ball. I love and own at VWL, but alas, no kiddie area, except the cement bottom kiddie pool :(. And no zero entry :). So, I vote for GV if you can afford!

Bruegge
07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Just got back last week. The water area you speak of is neat.. It's just adjacent to the big pool.

I have kids 10 and 15. they were more interested in the big pool with the long slide. . The little kids looked like they were having a ball... It wasn't very crowded either.

Is it worth it?? I vote yes, you could get spoiled.

We are Foodies, with Citricos, Narcoossee's, Victoria and Alberts all on site... and California Grill nearby on the monorail, we ate like kings. Pool bars with great items bruschetta, sushi, crabcakes etc.

I'd
Watch for discounts on rooms and/or Packages but its really nice. A great break from the often maddening parks.

One other small point... in the rare case of a total rainout day (we didn't have one luckily) can you think of a nicer place to spend you afternoon than hanging out eating, shopping or just lounging in the Grand Floridian lobby?

The rooms are nice enough to be stuck in for a while if need be... Full 24 hr room service, Just my 2 cents... I vote go for it...

acts
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks Everyone! We went ahead and booked. The monorail is our favorite feature of the hotel, tho we just found out that they are servicing it or something, so it will only be avialable from 830am to midnight - which kinda defeats the whole purpose of us staying there (to get to park early and easily) but OH WELL right?! Have to make the best of in :)

rjmdds
07-11-2014, 02:20 PM
We love the Gf. We will be there next month. You will love and your kids will love it. We've stayed there since our daughter was 3 and she is now 12. We stayed at the CR last trip and it just didn't compare in our opinion. We just love the place.

missymouseworld
07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
We were there from June 26-July 5th and it was our first stay there. We really liked it a lot. The pools were great, and the main pool had some great pool games in the afternoon for our DS12....we spent the mornings/early afternoon in the park before it got too HOT and spent the afternoons at their pool and it was really nice. My son was too big to use the slide at the water feature...the lifeguards make sure that the kids aren't too big especially with the little ones around.

The lobby is beautiful and the piano player is a great touch. The grounds are immaculate and all the Cast Members were great.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Love this hotel, wish I could stay there one day. Sorry nothing to add to help with your question just a little:envy:

Susan A
07-18-2014, 02:23 PM
We didn't stay at the GF, but we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.
My daughter (8), calls it the Mary Poppins hotel. You do feel immersed in Mary Poppins era. It is magical.

acts
07-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Love this hotel, wish I could stay there one day. Sorry nothing to add to help with your question just a little:envy:

Thanks! :) And to make you even more jealous, my Mother (ie Grandma) is paying for the club level. She and I had visited last year and were complimentary upgraded to Club Level. It was the best experience ever. So this time with the grand kids (and my sisters) there was a decent deal on the club level for FL residents. If you ever have the chance, do it! :) So nice!:mickey: