PDA

View Full Version : WL vs AKL

Luv4WDW
06-27-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm trying to decide between WL Club Level and AKL Club Level for our trip the second week in November. I've only ever stayed Club Level at the GF, so I really don't know a ton about the other resorts. I like that the WL has boat access to the Magic Kingdom as we will be attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and we do spend much more time at the MK than at AK. My only other concern is that the main pool (with the slide) will be closed during this time. It is just my husband and I, so we don't have any kids, but we're concerned the smaller pool that will remain open will be too crowded for us to enjoy. Does anybody have anything to offer on this subject? Thanks!

Donald
06-27-2014, 08:28 PM
That is a difficult decision.

Wilderness lodge is beautifully decorated for the holidays and is very convienient to the Magic Kingdom. The club selections for food are normal fare....but delicious!

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is also very beautifully decorated for the holidays. It is a distance from most parks. The club selections for food are very unique. African influences/spices....very delicious!!! And you have got to love the animals just outside of your balcony!

I don't envy your decision...but you cannot go wrong with either one.

By the way, the pool at Animal Kingdom was very nice. I liked it better than Wilderness. I was not a fan of ducks swimming in the pool.

faline
06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
If pool time and access is important to you I'd select Animal Kingdom Lodge given the situation with the Wilderness Lodge pool. Otherwise, I'd select Wilderness Lodge. I've never done concierge level at Animal Kingdom but have done it a couple of times at Wilderness Lodge and liked it very much,

garthbarth1
06-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Is the WL pool being closed for refurb?? When does this start :)

marlyn
06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Is the WL pool being closed for refurb?? When does this start :)

September 3rd it starts.

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2014, 10:20 AM
I see someone mentioned the holiday decorations. Please keep in mind that neither hotel will probably be decorated that early in November. I think WL wasn't decorated until around Nov. 19th or 20th last year. And in our experience AKL doesn't decorate any earlier.

I have never stayed club level at either resort, but I would pick WL over AKL. I think AKL is a beautiful, unique resort, but I always feel so far from everything each time we stay there. I much prefer the location of WL, especially if you plan to spend more time at MK. The bus ride to MK in the mornings is only about a 5 minute ride, and taking the boat back for an afternoon break or at the end of a park day is so relaxing!

There is also a boat that goes from WL to the Contemporary that gives you easy access to the monorail resorts for meals and shopping.

To me WL is a much more cozy resort. And unless I planned major pool time I wouldn't worry too much about the main pool being closed. If it were a summer trip and I had my kids in tow yes, but for an adult only, November trip I would think the quiet pool would suffice.

SBETigg
06-28-2014, 10:54 AM
My choice would be AKL. It's such a lovely resort and the uniqueness impresses me more than the WL, not just of the surroundings, but for food choices. But I do like to be close to the MK and I can see that being a determining factor. Except for me, making the AKL choice would be to enjoy the resort surroundings and the buses wouldn't bother me once I'd decided to go that route.

And being at WL might make me wish I'd chosen a monorail access hotel which also have boats back and forth. It's so close, the WL... and yet so far. And the WL theming isn't really my favorite. And since I would have to bus everywhere else anyway... I would choose AKL. Which doesn't mean you should. It depends on what you want out of your vacation, and how you feel about both resorts.

Pocahontas
06-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I have stayed at both resorts (not club level) and voted for WL due to location. I loved AKL and the restaurants there, but really didn't like the distance/time traveling to most of the parks. If not for the location, AKL would have been my pick.

Either choice is great!:cloud9:

lawgirl
06-28-2014, 09:52 PM
I've never done club level at either...was considering it for our upcoming trip, but then opted for BLT. I've always wanted to go to the AKL club area. It looks gorgeous. I've heard great things about WL club level too. What a hard decision! I do love AKL the best though, so my heart is always there. I don't really care for the pool area at WL. To me, AKL is the best. Either way, I'd say you'll have a great time!

thejens
06-29-2014, 01:43 AM
I guess it depends on whether you prefer the covnenience to MK or the ambiance of AKL. We really love the unique African ambiance of AKL, Love the animals, the restaurants, the lovely pool area, and gorgeous lounge and gift shop. On the other hand being a boat ride away from MK and the monorail is quite nice. No bad choice here.