PDA

View Full Version : FP+ Cancellation

Jeddie
06-24-2014, 08:06 PM
I got an email the other day from Disney Destinations stating that they had to cancel our FP+ for Voyage of the Little Mermaid on 8/19 at 2:25PM due to "an unexpected change in the operating schedule", but in lieu of that, they are giving us a FP+ for our choice of select rides in DHS for whenever we want for that day, which also included VotLM if it was available. I checked the refurb schedule and don't see anything on there. Does anyone know why that one day, and particularly, VotLM is an issue? Is it overbooked? Also got me kind of nervous that they (Disney) can just do this type of cancellation w/o warning. They better not touch our Anna and Elsa :D

Imalismom
06-25-2014, 06:58 AM
I asked my inside source at WDW and this is what they said:

It's possible that might close it for refurb or cancel that one show.

so, at this point, at his level of cast member(ship), they have not been told.

DizneyRox
06-25-2014, 07:23 AM
I thought VotLM was due to close as well, but then a few years back they did a little refurb. With the Mermaid ride at MK, I thought for sure it was a goner. However, with MGM now a 1/2 day park, I'm not sure they can afford to close it.

You see, live performers are expensive, Disney has been cutting entertainment for years, this could be probably the next step.

Jeddie
06-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Very interesting, thanks for the insight.

Fangorn
06-25-2014, 11:24 AM
You see, live performers are expensive, Disney has been cutting entertainment for years, this could be probably the next step.

Not all performers at WDW are paid well. Most are not. DS was a performer for 5 years at WDW, including VotLM, Jedi Training Academy, and Dream along with Mickey. Only a slight "show pay" bonus over his barely above minimum wage, and only for the actual time doing the show. There are a few (very few) Actor's Equity (union) performers that are paid well, but most of Disney's entertainment cast members are not paid any more than other CMs.

As for Disney cutting entertainment; absolutely.

Steve

DizneyRox
06-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Not all performers at WDW are paid well. Most are not. DS was a performer for 5 years at WDW, including VotLM, Jedi Training Academy, and Dream along with Mickey. Only a slight "show pay" bonus over his barely above minimum wage, and only for the actual time doing the show. There are a few (very few) Actor's Equity (union) performers that are paid well, but most of Disney's entertainment cast members are not paid any more than other CMs.

As for Disney cutting entertainment; absolutely.

Steve
Anything above minimum is expensive for Disney. This whole Fastpass+ nonsense is also a big cost cutting measure. They are able to control staffing by only distributing what they want well in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started using fastpass distributions to better predict attendance and then close attractions based on popularity day to day so they don't have to staff them 'just in case'. Open attractions have a bearing on park capacity and if they don't need certain attractions open to fit the expected crowds, it makes sense to just shutter what they don't need to optimize profits day to day.