PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Airlines problem

Jessietoystory2
06-23-2014, 06:51 PM
After researching airfare, we chose Spirit Airlines. After I booked and paid for the tickets, the next screen came up with seat choice ( which I have done in the past) but now you have to pay to choose your seat. I had no choice but to do this because I am traveling with 3 children and did not want them separated from my husband and I. This added expense, made our flight more than Delta(which I would rather have gone on). I feel duped. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what can I do about this? I thought airlines had disclose all fees up front.

faline
06-23-2014, 07:00 PM
I've never flown Spirit or even looked at them before but, when I just went to their site to check them out, this message came up:

FLIGHT AVAILABILITY
Our fares are fully unbundled. A ticket with us gets you and a personal item from A to B. We call this the Bare Fare. Additional charges for baggage, advance seat assignments and any changes apply only if you add these options. Fares listed are per person, are non-refundable and include all taxes and fees.

VWL Mom
06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
If you just made the reservations you may be able to get a refund if you call right away. I know most of the carriers will refund with 24 hours of making the reservation. Outside of that you could plead your case but I'm not sure how far you would get.

John
06-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Best check their baggage policies as well - if you are checking bags, you need to do it in advance or your fee goes SKY HIGH. And when I say sky high, I'm not exaggerating.

Also, you can't carry on big bags like other airlines - check the carry on restriction as well.

And leg room - fugetaboutit....

Spirit is good if you know what you are getting... but everything costs. Even drinks and snacks.

Basket Mommy
06-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I've never used Spirit personally, but it sounds a lot like the model Allegiant Air uses. We've never pre-booked our exact seats, even though we have 4 kids and I, like you, didn't want to sit separately from them. We always just check in early at the airport, and they put us together (if we can't be near one another, they at least put 2 kids with one adult). It's always worked out for us.

BriarRose0708
06-24-2014, 07:41 AM
We just went through this with Allegiant Air. They have the same pricing model. DBF was not pleased, but in the end for the four of us to fly it was still cheaper than other carriers (even though we will likely have to pay for drinks inflight or at the airport since we have a direct flight from NY to FL). He's a little spoiled since he is a frequent flyer and is used to rewards from airlines.

However, I think that it's absolutely ridiculous that if you are flying with kids you're essentially forced to choose your seats and have to pay for that because of their policy that the kids can't be separated. Even though Spirit and Allegiant are up front about their "unbundled" approach, which is annoying, this part feels like a money grab more than anything.

John's right about the bags, too. Check their policy. Allegiant makes you pay not only for checked luggage (which is the norm on most carriers now) but for anything in the overhead compartment as well. The only thing that you're allowed and don't have to pay for is a small bag that fits under the seat. And if you change your mind and want to check bags or carry something on in addition to the small personal bag everything at the airport is $50.