PDA

View Full Version : First time flying to WDW - any helpful hints appreciated!

Briansmom
06-21-2014, 12:11 AM
We have been to WDW every year for the past six years but have always driven. This year we decided to give flying a try so I need to know any helpful hints for packing, etc. There are three of us flying Southwest so we could technically bring six bags if need be. That is a lot as we will only be using ME for our arrival. Our daughter will be taking us to the airport for our flight home. My husband says I usually take the whole house with us (I do not :nope: ). So I thought I'd put the question out there to the experienced. Our DS16 has autism and this will be his first flight ever. I will def have to bring his ipad/DS on the plane with us. Not sure how to handle the possible ear problems as he wont keep a stick of gum in his mouth for more that a minute or so.

TIA! :mickey:

MargaretMessler
06-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Not sure how to handle the possible ear problems as he wont keep a stick of gum in his mouth for more that a minute or so.

TIA! :mickey:

As for the ear problems, if you anticipate him having them, upon the advice of a doctor, I take Sudafed for several days before flying to open up my ears (I used to have EXTREMELY bad issues flying), and it works wonders. Its a thought if that's something that's an option for you

faline
06-21-2014, 12:00 PM
It can be difficult to keep the packing in check. What time of year are you going? That also makes a difference - if you're going in winter you need to be prepared for all eventualities. Start with a good packing list. There's one here on Intercot. I use one that came with my computer and adapted it for my own use. Even though I have packed many times for trips, I still refer to my packing list to be sure I don't overlook a necessity and can check off what I've already packed so I don't have to remember whether I've done it or not. Most airlines have a 50 pound limit on luggage. One of our best investments was a portable luggage scale. I typically want to be sure that my bags do not weigh more than 45 pounds just in case the airline scale differs some from my own. Thus far, it's been pretty much right on!!

Briansmom
06-21-2014, 03:30 PM
As for the ear problems, if you anticipate him having them, upon the advice of a doctor, I take Sudafed for several days before flying to open up my ears. (I

That is a great idea. He is on allergy medicine but the sudafed would def help make sure there is no fluid in his ears that would cause a problem. Thanks!

It can be difficult to keep the packing in check. What time of year are you going? That also makes a difference - if you're going in winter you need to be prepared for all eventualities. Start with a good packing list. There's one here on Intercot. I use one that came with my computer and adapted it for my own use.

We are going the end of September/first of October. I have my list that I have used for our previous trips but I'm thinking I may have to do some trimming. I wonder if our good digital bathroom scale would work as well for weighing the luggage? We take our bathing suits of course but not usually a jacket because what they consider 'cool' down there, well that is just perfect weather for us from NC....lol.

We already do Garden Grocer so we don't have to bring food for the room. I usually bring a slew of stuffed animals(they ride in the rear window of the car :blush: ) to put in the hotel room window (and for my son to have a choice of what to take to the park each day), so I'm sure I will have to limit that and maybe decorate the window with Disney clings instead.

RoyalDuchessofDisney
10-06-2014, 09:46 PM
As far as packing goes, I'm a big fan of making a list of everything you think you want to bring, and then crossing off anything you can live without.
For the ears issue on the plane, I know they used to make little earplug type things ("earplanes" I think they were called?). From what I can remeber they eliminated some of the discomfort, if that's what your worry is...hope this helps:blush: