PDA

View Full Version : Drive from Pittsburgh to Disney World

Jeff T
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
In a few weeks we will be making the annual drive to Disney World. We travel I-79, 19, I-77, 26, I-95, and finally I-4. Has anyone made the trip recently down I-77 through Virginia, NC, and SC, as well as I-95 from SC to Daytona, FL? Interested in any major construction delays.

dvcmember83
06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I live just south of Pittsburgh and just made the drive to St. Augustine, Florida and back (Jacksonville area) last week. No major construction along the way that I can recall. There were a few places that were getting ready to start construction as I went through. I drive through the night since we have little ones, so we didn't have any trouble. Through the day it might be different. Most of what little construction that we ran into was in Virginia on I-77, I do believe.

dvcmember83
06-18-2014, 11:24 AM
There is also a good bit on I-26 in South Carolina. There are still 2 lanes, but it definitely makes for some tight spaces. Had some trucks get a little careless a time or two that made me nervous on that road.

kakn7294
06-18-2014, 04:18 PM
We're doing the drive on Friday! Hoping for smooth travels.

Jeff T
06-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear no major roadwork along the route to Disney.

We make this drive every summer, typically leaving the Pittsburgh area at 5:00 AM and stop for the night in Savannah along I-95. Then leave by 8:00 AM the next day and arrive at our Disney resort just after lunch.

azcavalier
06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
We live in Southwestern VA on I-81 and drive much of the same route. Just did it about a month ago. Didn't encounter any delays. More than once we saw some huge stoppages from accidents, but not really any construction delays.

kakn7294
07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
The only major areas of construction were along the western end of 26 on the trip to WDW. It was a hot mess for about 1/2 of the trip on 26. That said, it only slowed us a little bit.

CanadianWDWFan
07-06-2014, 03:04 PM
The only major areas of construction were along the western end of 26 on the trip to WDW. It was a hot mess for about 1/2 of the trip on 26. That said, it only slowed us a little bit.
Thanks Kathy! :thumbsup: Good to know. Glad to hear that construction won't be a big issue. We will be stopping in Columbia SC on a Saturday night and hitting the 26 stretch first thing Sunday morning so I think we will miss the really bad traffic times.

mudpuppysmom
07-06-2014, 08:40 PM
We came down June 27 and I did t hit anything major. I did t hit any delays or stops. The inky thing that did happen was I met the "Welcome Wagon" in VA just as I entered.....came out of the tunnel that starts in WVA and ends in VA....passing A tractor trailer and was sliding back into the right lane and there he was.....my first speeding ticket in over 20 years!!! So BE CAREFUL there!! In fact in ALL of VA....I was one of 9 people pulled over in just about 30 miles!!!