PDA

View Full Version : Very Bothersome...

GMRO
06-17-2014, 09:32 AM
So guess we'll see how long it takes Disney/DCL to put a stop to this.

Being in this industry I find this very disturbing as it is not safe at all to be doing any of this type of R/C flying over commercial/populated areas. Nor transporting the batteries, LI-PO's, on a ship. There is way too much to risk. And unfortunately any fool with $1K on his credit card can get one of these flying models and put many innocent folks safety at risk.

I hope Disney/DCL acts on this.

[Removed outside links]

BrerGnat
06-17-2014, 10:08 AM
How can they put a stop to it if they don't know who is doing it? I know for a fact that the DCA flyover is illegal, but say you see one of these drones up...how do you know where on the ground to look for the controller? You can watch it land, but by the time security gets over there, the pilot is long gone.

The ship one...eh...I wouldn't say the ocean is a "populated area," particularly where that drone flew out to. It was just open water.

GMRO
06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
I'd hope their roving security force would be able to keep a watchful eye on parking lots etc for the person(s). UNLESS they are flying FPV with goggles where as the person controlling the craft could be a far distance away and not on property.

The ship is populated. They took off from the deck and returned to the deck. PLUS as much as a risk of flying the model comes the power for the craft - battery. IF and it happens - one of these LI-PO batteries goes off and catches fire for a malfunction reason or a previous crash damage they burn over 1000 degrees and need no other type of fuel around them to keep on burning. Only a Class D estiguisher puts them out. They smoke badly and clear a deck or bank of staterooms quick. Smoke is thick and stinks.

Point is the model and battery should NOT have been permitted on the ship at all. None of this is safe and IF it continues it will only be a matter of time before someone gets hurt or a fire occurs on the ship.

YES - I'm in the industry and have enjoyed it and helped create various flying R/C models in the past 28 years. AND I know better to try a stunt like this in either place these videos were shot. They have no insurance for this nor permission for it. And YES they do crash - gravity always wins. Problem is we seldom know when or where they will crash.

Just'say n'... Stop it before it happens more often and someone gets hurt. Its a recipe for disaster that won't taste good.

BrerGnat
06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I agree that it should not be allowed. But, I doubt it's a rampant problem.

Terra
06-19-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm totally lost without the link. Can someone fill me in please.

BrerGnat
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm totally lost without the link. Can someone fill me in please.

You can probably find it by Googling "drone flight over castaway cay"

GMRO
06-19-2014, 02:32 PM
My mistake on posting outside links. They are not permitted. SORRY for posting the links. A mod removed them.

I should have read that links from outside sites are not allowed.

BUT if you go to THAT site as mentioned above I'm sure you'll see thru an easy search airborne videos that were done by non-authorized persons via R/C flying "quads". Hence the thrust of the post in the first place.

Hope to not offend but just bring to light a subject that is concerning for safety.

Terra
06-25-2014, 11:36 AM
You can probably find it by Googling "drone flight over castaway cay"

My mistake on posting outside links. They are not permitted. SORRY for posting the links. A mod removed them.

I should have read that links from outside sites are not allowed.

BUT if you go to THAT site as mentioned above I'm sure you'll see thru an easy search airborne videos that were done by non-authorized persons via R/C flying "quads". Hence the thrust of the post in the first place.

Hope to not offend but just bring to light a subject that is concerning for safety.

Thank you. I will look it up and read about it.

Main Street Jim
06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
As an avid R/C racer myself, and looking up and reading some stuff on this story, I can honestly say that the "pilot" did nothing "illegal". Risky, yes. Could he have hurt someone if the plane had lost control? Yes. But, for a hobby-grade radio-controlled plane, *not* illegal. There's a HUGE difference between a commercial-grade or security/military drone, and these planes that you can walk in about any hobby shop across the country and purchase - and you don't even need a license. Hopefully, Disney will figure out where it came from, and *maybe* scold the offender, but that's about all they can do *legally*. They can make changes to their "prohibited items" list, and, if it happens again, *then* they would be able to take legal action.

BrerGnat
06-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Well, I think the DCA flyover is not cool. What if the airplane had simply dropped out of the sky and landed on the CA Screamin track? That could have disastrous consequences. I'm pretty sure that since in Orange County CA, at least, it is illegal to fly RC planes even in open fields in community parks, Disneyland (or the County itself) already had a law regarding flying these in public areas, including theme parks.