PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant, First-Time Cruiser. Help!

iheartdisney
06-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I never realized I have a fear of the open seas until my husband suggested we take a Disney cruise. I am a die-hard, Disney nut and jump at the chance to go to Disney World. My husband is not. So when HE suggested we take a Disney cruise, you'd think I'd be on board. (ba-dum-bum!) My heart started to flutter and I started to make excuses as to why it's a bad idea. What is wrong with me?

Which boat do you recommend for a fearful cruiser? How long of a trip? The 3 day seems like the obvious option but I would love to LIVE at WDW; will I feel like the 3-day is much too short a trip once I get acclimated? Any other words of encouragement out there? I really want to go and conquer my fears!

Christine
06-15-2014, 12:50 PM
I felt the same way before my first cruise- the minute you get on board, the anxiety goes straight out the window. It's just bliss :cloud9:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I was totally freaked our before our first cruise. I was worried that I'd feel trapped on the boat, especially when out at sea.

But, once on the boat, I didn't feel that way at all. There was so much going on, so much to do and Disney service was top-notch and it was amazing.

We were on the Wonder, and I know the new boats are bigger, but even the Wonder was perfect.

BrerGnat
06-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I would recommend a 4 day or longer cruise on the Dream or Fantasy. The ships are so huge and have so many cool spaces to explore that you might forget you are out at sea. Plus, on the shorter cruises, you are in port often so you are hardly even "out at sea" except at night. The larger ships are amazing and it would be hard to be disappointed.

I do recommend a shorter cruise for your first one, just on case you really don't like it. But, a 3 day cruise really is just too short, so go for a 4 or 5 day one instead.

minnie04
06-16-2014, 10:11 AM
I felt the same way before my first cruise- the minute you get on board, the anxiety goes straight out the window. It's just bliss :cloud9:

Same here I was always afraid to do a cruise not knowing if I would get sick or weather would be bad all those thoughts went out the window as soon as we got on board. I loved it !!!! Never felt one ounce of fear or anxiety. It was pure joy for 7 days :cloud9:

VacationDisney
07-04-2014, 10:56 AM
I never thought I'd enjoy a cruise and thought if I am going to try this I'll go with a Disney cruise and see how it goes.

We went, first time, in 2005 on the Magic and had a total blast. The ships are like floating hotels, but with tons of things to do, or not, depending on what you want to do. Our next trip on the Fantasy, a few years later, was even better. Second time around we knew how to really get the most out of activities offered on the ship and learned to relax and take it easy if that's what we wanted to do.

The ships are beautiful. The food is amazing. The crew are very attentive. Activities are numerous. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Go and have fun:thumbsup:

TracyL
07-04-2014, 01:23 PM
A four or five day is a good choice for a nervous cruiser. And the bigger boats are great -- as others have said, there is so much to see and do, you'll have no time to be nervous!

But also as others have said, the 3-night is no good. It's just way too short. You've barely arrived and they're already talking about disembarkation procedures. four is the absolute minimum.

And you are going to LOVE Castaway Cay!!!