PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Experience to Close?

DizneyFreak2002
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Some sites are reporting CMs were told American Idol Experience will close around 6 months from now, more likely after the first of the year... Anyone else hearing any truth to this?

Fangorn
06-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Not heard that, but...

please, please, let it be so. ;)

Steve

PirateLover
06-13-2014, 05:14 PM
With the show at an all time low, (even though it has yet to be cancelled) this wouldn't surprise me. I don't mind it being closed. I liked it at first, went twice, haven't felt the need to go back. Maybe it will clear up space for a potential expansion of Lucas properties??? Wishful thinking. :fingers::darth::trooper::yoda::chewy::ewok:

DizneyFreak2002
06-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Sounds like it is officially closing January 4, 2015...

With the show at an all time low, (even though it has yet to be cancelled) this wouldn't surprise me. I don't mind it being closed. I liked it at first, went twice, haven't felt the need to go back. Maybe it will clear up space for a potential expansion of Lucas properties??? Wishful thinking. :fingers::darth::trooper::yoda::chewy::ewok:

I'm sure you remember when tikiman and I mentioned the rumored Star Wars plans? AIE was one area where Star Wars was rumored to expand into... No idea if those plans are still on the table or been tossed into the shredder for better plans...

yankeesfan123
06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
I heard they were replacing it with X Factor.

Ian
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I'll bet dollars to donuts they close it and leave it empty. From all that I've heard there's no real money being spent in WDW until MyMagicYourWayFastpass+ proves its ROI.

yankeesfan123
06-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Buuuuut they're gonna be showing an extended preview for Guardians of Galaxy!

Strmchsr
06-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Yes, it is closing early January. One of my friends is one of the producers of the show and confirmed.

LittleDreamer
06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm not surprised, it will be closing. They always had trouble finding contestants for the shows. Watching the show was not that engaging more of a break from the heat. And paying for the AI property just takes money.

I was thinking about during Star Wars weekend how easy it would be to dress the stage up and do the shows in there. Granted it would limit the audience, but would get rid of the traffic jam in front of the hat and be easier on the cast members in costume.

big blue and hairy
06-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I won't miss it. It was a one shot thing for us. It was pretty well done, but not a repeat attraction for me.

:sulley:

DizneyFreak2002
06-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Join statement by Disney, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment:

Walt Disney World Resort, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment have released this joint statement: “After more than five successful years, The American Idol Experience will be coming to a close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park in January 2015. Our partnership with FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment has been a great addition to the park and we are very appreciative of the amazing cast and guests who have devoted their time and talent to make this experience special and memorable. We are incredibly proud of the more than 2,000 Dream Tickets that have given guests a chance to live their very own Cinderella story and audition for ‘American Idol’. This past season alone, three of the Top 13 contestants were originally discovered through The American Idol Experience and we expect the attraction to continue providing top contestants for ‘American Idol’ XIV in the coming year.”

This area is still believed to be included in the Star Wars land plans...

yankeesfan123
06-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Join statement by Disney, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment:

This area is still believed to be included in the Star Wars land plans...

Bingo!

DizneyFreak2002
06-14-2014, 11:21 PM
...That exist in fans' imaginary worlds.

They haven't even closed it yet, put away the blueprints.
The fact that they're closing it on January sounds more like a licensing issue that wasn't renewed for an attraction whose days were already numbered, but what they come up with to replace it--IF anything by the end of the year--is strictly their own business until they tell us.
Soundsl ike it's not so much to praise Lucas, as to bury Simon.

Actually, Eric, those plans DO exist within the halls of Imagineering... MANY legit and trustworthy insiders have all stated AIE area was and is included in ANY Star Wars expansion at DHS... And the Indiana Jones Stunt show area is part of the plans as well...

So, there is no putting away any blue prints... There is no arm chair imagineering going on here... The FACTS are this area was and is included in the Star Wars expansion... No matter that we won't see the Star Wars area until 2019/2020... Until and unless things change drastically, this area is earmarked for Star Wars expansion when the time comes...

JRocker
06-15-2014, 08:20 AM
I'll be standing in the crowd with the party favors cheering its exit.:party:

But, count me with the skeptics. This park feels like a shell of what it was when it found itself on the top of my list of the four. I really haven't done the count, but when I was at that park a few weeks ago, it seemed like there have been more minuses than pluses since my first visit in late '95.

And now we have another minus.

Sure, there is a plus sitting on a drafting table somewhere, but how long will this building remain vacant (or used as a movie trailer theater :ack: )?

For the MGM Studios skeleton they dubbed Disney Hollywood Studios; two weeks of another empty building is too long.

LittleDreamer
06-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Sure, there is a plus sitting on a drafting table somewhere, but how long will this building remain vacant (or used as a movie trailer theater :ack: )?

For the MGM Studios skeleton they dubbed Disney Hollywood Studios; two weeks of another empty building is too long.

They could always dust off SuperStar Television (better choice then Doug Live!). Do some dramatic scenes from Revenge, a little comedy with Modern Family, or get the kids with involved on some Marvel action.

big blue and hairy
06-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I would love to see the Monster Sound Show come back. I participated in that show once when it was Martin Short and Chevy Chase. Unbeknownst to the staff they stuck me, the former DJ, behind the mic. It was a blast!

Ian
06-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I'd love to see Superstar TV come back. That was a classic.

big blue and hairy
06-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I'd love to see Superstar TV come back. That was a classic.

Me too, there was only one problem, when you are in it (DW and I were), you can't see it. I would have loved a tape or cd or something. It was still really cool, though.

LittleDreamer
06-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Me too, there was only one problem, when you are in it (DW and I were), you can't see it. I would have loved a tape or cd or something.

With todays technology and the photopass they could easily work out something like that.

1DisneyNut
06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Can't say that we will miss it.......we never cared enough to step foot in it and see the show. Not even once. So long American Idol, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Maybe tikiman can clarify more if he comes around, but, someone say there is a Star Wars budget and it is now green lit?

yankeesfan123
06-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Can I just say I disagree with this "Star Wars land" stuff??

I think we are much more likely to see a full blown "Lucasland" than just a "Star Wars land".

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Seems like the people who can be trusted getting "insider" info are split on this... Some are saying that yes, a budget has been approved and the project greenlit, others are saying the budget has been proposed but not approved for SOME project at DHS (could be Star Wars, could be removal of the hat, could be nothing exciting), and others are saying this is just social media nonsense caused by Disney because they have nothing on the burners at the moment and are trying to steal some thunder away from Universal's huge week this week showcasing Diagon Alley...

So, basically, believe which ever you want... I am leaning toward the last one... When they have something for DHS, they will announce it, and even then, it means nothing until it opens...

caryrae
06-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I won't miss it. It was a one shot thing for us. It was pretty well done, but not a repeat attraction for me.

Same with us, we did it once and that was enough. Never entered my mind to see it again.

LittleDreamer
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
We can start a new thread if we want to speculate on Star Wars.

I'm not sure something like Star Wars or Cars would take over the AI Building. That seems like it would just be too visually jarring. The surrounding area, with the exception of the hat, is still pretty visually cohesive. Throwing in a building from Coruscant or Naboo could destroy that. Cars might work. Flo's and Luigi's buildings have are more harmonious to the current art deco flair.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2014, 07:00 PM
We can start a new thread if we want to speculate on Star Wars.

I'm not sure something like Star Wars or Cars would take over the AI Building. That seems like it would just be too visually jarring. The surrounding area, with the exception of the hat, is still pretty visually cohesive. Throwing in a building from Coruscant or Naboo could destroy that. Cars might work. Flo's and Luigi's buildings have are more harmonious to the current art deco flair.

The transition from Hollywood to alien planet will be my main concern at the moment... I'm curious as to how they would do that and not ruin the park, though, the park really is already ruined...

waymickey
06-18-2014, 08:28 AM
The transition from Hollywood to alien planet will be my main concern at the moment... I'm curious as to how they would do that and not ruin the park, though, the park really is already ruined...

:( I used to love this park but now I don't mind missing it all together. It is ruined.

LittleDreamer
06-18-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm curious as to how they would do that and not ruin the park, though, the park really is already ruined...

The park is suffering from a lack of focus currently. It started out as a "behind the scenes" park. Most of the attractions were pretty focused on showing you how things worked. Most of these are gone or diminished now. As time went on they included more things to bring you into the movie. They also tried to push it towards a thrill park, adding Tower of Terror and, the out of place but good, Rockin' Roller Coaster. Now the park just seems fuzzy and unsure of itself. It they recommit to one concept it might help the park.

I do greatly appreciate the live performers that work at the park. From the stunt shows, to the guides on the Great Movie Ride, and the fantastic street performers. I say this park still has a great uniqueness quality provided by the staff.

Jimmy Thick
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Honestly, this is not the great news people so desperately want it to be. AIE is one hell of an attraction, if you have the courage to try it out. How many people who complain about it actually tried to sing? None I would bet...

Let me put it to the people this way, I try singing every time I go, EVERY TIME. I absolutely love this attraction. The Simon type judge remembers me and everytime he sees me he does this fake "cringe" that makes this whole experience special and worthwhile.

My point is, if AIE is on life support, try singing, just once before it closes, even if you can't sing, I can't but I keep trying.

Jimmy Thick- Its oh so easy to call an attraction bad...Especially if you have never tried it...* Jimmy rolls eyes *

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
The park is suffering from a lack of focus currently. It started out as a "behind the scenes" park. Most of the attractions were pretty focused on showing you how things worked. Most of these are gone or diminished now. As time went on they included more things to bring you into the movie. They also tried to push it towards a thrill park, adding Tower of Terror and, the out of place but good, Rockin' Roller Coaster. Now the park just seems fuzzy and unsure of itself. It they recommit to one concept it might help the park.

I do greatly appreciate the live performers that work at the park. From the stunt shows, to the guides on the Great Movie Ride, and the fantastic street performers. I say this park still has a great uniqueness quality provided by the staff.

The working movie studio/theme park idea was fine... Problem was, Disney couldn't make Hollywood happen in Orlando... The industry just didn't take... It failed... Thus, Disney-MGM Studios, now Disney Hollywood Studios, lost its focus...

Seems like Disney really have no clue what to do with the park... I'm all for more Star Wars (providing they don't muck it up), but I'm also concerned how the land would fit into DHS, theme wise...

They need to start over again... Develop a new mission for DHS, a new course... Name change as well.. Remove studios cause it no longer works, no longer fits what that park is... Maybe Disney's Hollywood Adventure? Can't use "Ride the Movies" Universal already did that... Plus, DHS also focuses on music, TV, and stage... Which then makes Hollywood no longer a fit since most people associate stage with Broadway in NYC...

The other problem with DHS is park layout... it is the worst layout ever for theme parks... They never should have abandoned the hub/spoke/wheel design...

kbean
06-19-2014, 07:33 AM
I agree with Ian. He's always right. Always! Can we get a petition to change intercot to Iancot?

big blue and hairy
06-19-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree with Ian. He's always right. Always! Can we get a petition to change intercot to Iancot?

:faint:

BrerGnat
06-19-2014, 06:14 PM
DHS needs to be almost gutted and started over. In lieu of that, separate MOVIE themed lands can coexist peacefully, a la DCA. It all works over there and the lack of a unified theme does not ruin the experience. They should rename DHS Disney Hollywood Adventure and then have a Pixar land, Star Wars land, etc. That would work.

As for AI, good riddance. That whole thing is SO yesterday.

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Nat, you aren't kidding.. DHS is the worst theme park in Orlando (ok SeaWorld may give it a run for its money for worst)... The park is a huge mess... Looking at Google maps, man, is the lay out even worse than I thought...

I usually don't like playing armchair imagineering, I leave that to the creative professionals (and yes, the professionals still do a great job, it is management and all the political red tape which keeps their creative juices from flowing with greatness anymore)...But, after looking at the satellite maps, I'm working on how I would fix DHS if I were in charge... Now, whether I post it or not, that is another story LOL...

We don't have an armchair imagineering thread or section do we? Would be a fun forum I think... ;)

Ian
06-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I agree with Ian. He's always right. Always! Can we get a petition to change intercot to Iancot?lol not sure if this is sarcastic or serious, but just in case it was serious thank you for the compliment! :mickey:

kbean
06-21-2014, 02:56 PM
No sarcasm!!!

BigG007
06-22-2014, 05:04 AM
Maybe Disney could add some Marvel attraction to this area, keeping in theme with Hollywood and the Movies

:smickey:

seanyred
06-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Maybe Disney could add some Marvel attraction to this area, keeping in theme with Hollywood and the Movies

:smickey:

Disney World can't have Marvel attractions because of Universal Studios Florida already having Marvel attractions.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Disney CAN however, use Marvel characters which Universal does not have the rights to... But no one knows or cares about those characters... The big popular ones are all under Universal's control...

LittleDreamer
06-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Disney CAN however, use Marvel characters which Universal does not have the rights to... But no one knows or cares about those characters... The big popular ones are all under Universal's control...

The contract with Universal(MCA Inc. at the time) says the Marvel Universe. So on the East Coast I think that means everyone.

DizneyFreak2002
06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
The contract with Universal(MCA Inc. at the time) says the Marvel Universe. So on the East Coast I think that means everyone.

The contract specifically says "family"... So think anyone associated with Avengers, X-Men, including the villains... Basically, Disney cannot use any of the characters people know or care about...

Guardians is a different beast... Are they part of the Avengers or not? they are associated with them, and it appears Marvel Studios is looking to tie them into the Avengers movies... But, if you look at Marvel's own site, you'd notice, this group Disney/Marvel is using in the upcoming movie are not listed as ever being part of the Avengers family... Previous versions of Guardians are listed as only "honorary" members, meaning nothing to me... And don't kid yourself, before Disney decided to go ahead and put the preview of Guardians of the Galaxy into DHS, their lawyers and Comcast/Uni's lawyers were burning up the phones solving this issue to make sure Disney was not in violation of the contract...

Eric is right, it is just a movie preview... However, the monorail wraps are just advertisements, and yet, the Iron Man and Avengers wrap could not go on the Epcot line... But then again, the Avengers do have a presence in Universal's IOA... I'm sure Disney's lawyers worked out an agreement with Comcast/Uni lawyers for the preview, making sure the terms of the contract are not violated... Now, if they were going to do meet and greets or an attraction, yea, I'm sure Comcast and Uni would take the matter higher instead of a gentleman's agreement...

LittleDreamer
06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
The contract specifically says "family"... So think anyone associated with Avengers, X-Men, including the villains... Basically, Disney cannot use any of the characters people know or care about...

Guardians is a different beast... Are they part of the Avengers or not? they are associated with them, and it appears Marvel Studios is looking to tie them into the Avengers movies... But, if you look at Marvel's own site, you'd notice, this group Disney/Marvel is using in the upcoming movie are not listed as ever being part of the Avengers family... Previous versions of Guardians are listed as only "honorary" members, meaning nothing to me... And don't kid yourself, before Disney decided to go ahead and put the preview of Guardians of the Galaxy into DHS, their lawyers and Comcast/Uni's lawyers were burning up the phones solving this issue to make sure Disney was not in violation of the contract...

Ahh I see so Universal had the right to the whole Universe, but after time they only got to keep those families that they made rides for. So Spiderman, X-men(Storm Spinners), Avengers(Hulk Coaster), Fantastic Four(Doctor Doom Freefall) are represented.

DizneyFreak2002
06-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Ahh I see so Universal had the right to the whole Universe, but after time they only got to keep those families that they made rides for. So Spiderman, X-men(Storm Spinners), Avengers(Hulk Coaster), Fantastic Four(Doctor Doom Freefall) are represented.

The contract has never changed.... Universal never had the rights to every Marvel character in the Marvel Universe... Just the ones everyone knows, likes, and cares about... Howard the Duck is a Marvel character, Universal does not own his theme park rights...

The contract has always stated Universal had the rights to any character they have representation to in the park as well as their associated families... Spiderman automatically gives them the rights to all the super heroes who were part of the Avengers family, including villains... Storm Force gives them all the X-men character rights... Doctor Doom's Free Fall gives them the rights to the Fantastic Four...

Disney is preparing an Antman movie... Antman cannot be used in WDW... he was an Avenger... as long as 1 member of a group or associated family is depicted in Universal, WDW cannot use any of those characters..

Big Hero 6 is another example of Marvel characters Disney can potentially use in WDW since they are not represented in IOA nor have any affiliation with any group represented in IOA...

Universal never had the entire Marvel universe...

yankeesfan123
06-24-2014, 06:55 PM
The contract has never changed.... Universal never had the rights to every Marvel character in the Marvel Universe... Just the ones everyone knows, likes, and cares about... Howard the Duck is a Marvel character, Universal does not own his theme park rights...

The contract has always stated Universal had the rights to any character they have representation to in the park as well as their associated families... Spiderman automatically gives them the rights to all the super heroes who were part of the Avengers family, including villains... Storm Force gives them all the X-men character rights... Doctor Doom's Free Fall gives them the rights to the Fantastic Four...

Disney is preparing an Antman movie... Antman cannot be used in WDW... he was an Avenger... as long as 1 member of a group or associated family is depicted in Universal, WDW cannot use any of those characters..

Big Hero 6 is another example of Marvel characters Disney can potentially use in WDW since they are not represented in IOA nor have any affiliation with any group represented in IOA...

Which is also why they can show a Guardians extended preview but not an Avengers extended preview.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a video vs. a ride.

DizneyFreak2002
06-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Which is also why they can show a Guardians extended preview but not an Avengers extended preview.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a video vs. a ride.

Don't kid yourself... The lawyers were talking to each other... Disney wants to make sure they abide by the contract, just as much as they will make sure Universal does, and vice versa...

LittleDreamer
06-25-2014, 10:57 AM

I read through the Agreement which the SEC has posted again. Granted it is not complete so there could be an accompanying documents that are not available to the public. While they currently only have the theme park rights to what is in the park. It reads like Universal had the "option" to expand to any character in the Marvel Universe up to 2 years after Islands of Adventure opened.

What makes me think so was this passage:

MCA (or an MCA “Corporately Related Company” (defined below)), shall have an option to utilize the Marvel characters in THE SECOND GATE of Universal Theme Park (Orlando)...The present inventory of the Marvel characters is set forth in the schedule to be attached or provided by Marvel promptly after execution hereof, plus any characters developed or acquired or licensed in the future by Marvel which (x) are marketed under the Marvel “Banner” or (y) were previously marketed under the Marvel “Banner” during the term hereof and are subsequently marketed under the “Banner” of a Marvel Related Company (defined below).

Option is a loaded legal term, but no additional costs were mentioned in the agreement. Only the yearly payments to Marvel and various penalties.

Crow
06-26-2014, 10:50 PM
so the minor characters can be in the parks

DizneyFreak2002
06-27-2014, 02:00 PM
so the minor characters can be in the parks

Possibly, as long as they were not once part of the "families" Universal has the rights to...