PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat on Plane

honeybear
06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I am most likely bringing Baby Bear's Car seat with us. Do you know if it will considered one of our "checked bags" or would it be better to just use in her seat on the plane. I am already bringing a stroller and I think trying to control a stroller, car seat and carry on may be a bit much. Let me know if you can.
Thanks!

4disneynuts
06-04-2014, 03:39 PM
We are flying Sun Country in November with an infant. We did not pay for an extra seat for her so I checked with the airline and we can check the stroller and infant seat for free. We will just take it through security with us and then check it at the gate so that we will have it right when we get off the plane. It probably depends on who you are flying with. Maybe call the airline or check their website as to what their rules are. :mickey:

honeybear
06-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Sounds like I will have to do that. Baby Bear's seat is paid. So I think I can use on the plane, but was trying to avoid carrying all of that to the gate.
Thanks for your input!

BrerGnat
06-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Car seats and strollers do NOT count as checked bags. You can bring them and it's actually easier to do that than carry a baby all the way through security and to your gate.

4disneynuts
06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I also think you may want to take the stroller and car seat to the gate with you and then check them there if you are using Magical Express. If you don't then you may not get those items until several hours later when they deliver your luggage. I know we didn't want to have to take it through security and check it at the gate but we will need it right away as we don't want to have to carry her for several hours.

DizneyRox
06-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I'd check them for sure. The car seat I don't think can be used on the bus. That's just all sorts of inconvenience to be lugging all that around in an airport.

VAdizneefan
06-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Do you need a car seat once you arrive in Orlando? If you're just using Disney transportation (Magical Express, internal buses, etc.), you don't need and can't use a car seat.

eandrsmom
06-04-2014, 07:49 PM
United didn't count our booster seat as a carry-on. In the past, we've brought a stroller and checked it at the gate just before boarding the airplane. When we arrived at our destination, it was waiting on the ramp just as we were exiting the airplane. It was nice having it in the airport.

honeybear
06-04-2014, 09:23 PM
We are renting a car so I will need it after we get off plane. So I guess it would be best to use on plane and take with us to car rental. Thanks for all of your help!

Figment104
06-06-2014, 11:55 AM
How old is your LO? And are they big or small for their age? The reason I ask is that we've flown both with and without the car seat for my DS who is now 2.5 years old. He's pretty big for his age (38 inches and 38lbs) and it wasn't until this past Feb that we decided to try not having the car seat on the plane with us. It was so helpful being able to strap him into something that he was familiar with and couldn't undo the buckle for when he was younger. Depending on their age I would very strongly consider using the car seat on the plane. I believe the only stipulation is that it needs to be placed in a window seat. Each time we flew with the car seat on the plane my DS slept for most of the flight too, which was a nice added bonus.

honeybear
06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
How old is your LO? And are they big or small for their age? The reason I ask is that we've flown both with and without the car seat for my DS who is now 2.5 years old. He's pretty big for his age (38 inches and 38lbs) and it wasn't until this past Feb that we decided to try not having the car seat on the plane with us. It was so helpful being able to strap him into something that he was familiar with and couldn't undo the buckle for when he was younger. Depending on their age I would very strongly consider using the car seat on the plane. I believe the only stipulation is that it needs to be placed in a window seat. Each time we flew with the car seat on the plane my DS slept for most of the flight too, which was a nice added bonus.

Baby Bear is a tiny tot. She is small for her age. I thing we will just check and see if her seat can be used on the plane. I have the one with the back, not booster. If not, we will check it in

Figment104
06-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Baby Bear is a tiny tot. She is small for her age. I thing we will just check and see if her seat can be used on the plane. I have the one with the back, not booster. If not, we will check it in

I've flown with a traditional convertible carseat (Britax Marathon & Evenflo Tribute) and both worked just fine on the plane. I've actually seen them not allow the booster seats on the plane as they don't meet Federal Aviation Guidelines. Check to see if your car seat is approved and if it is you should be good to use it on the plane.

Figment104
06-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Also the first time I flew with DS it was by myself (DH had to cancel at the last minute due to work) and I had the big car seat, the big stroller (travel system one), him, a carryon/diaper bag plus a big suitcase that had to be checked. He was 10 months at the time and I was still just able to wear him so what I did was had a sky cap help me get my bag to the check in desk. Then I wore DS (on my front), made sure my carryon bag was a big backpack that I wore on my back, had the stroller open and balanced the car seat in the stroller. At one point I also then balanced the backpack in the car seat and that worked fine too. When it was time to board I was able to pre-board, and the flight crew was really helpful by taking the car seat for me once I got down the ramp and placing it in the seat. I had to buckle it in since they weren't sure how, but it actually all went really smoothly and DS slept through the whole process lol. So, even by yourself it's totally doable with that much stuff! Good Luck!