PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day Star Wars Weekends Trip - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

azcavalier
06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
I like to be concise, and you don't want to hear/read about every little detail. So, here goes the summarized version.

The Good:

1. The Blue Heron Beach Resort! This is our first time staying off site. They had a great rate, which averaged out to around $120/night for a one bedroom suite with full kitchen that sleeps six. Nice and roomy, and just across I-4 from WDW. It was just as easy and fast to get to the parks as it would have been had we been staying on property.

2. The Mine Cart Ride - Really good ride. Very smooth. VERY smooth. I cannot stress this enough. I do wish it were longer. It went by FAST.

3. Disney Service - Our first morning we had to exchange our silly "Exchange Vouchers" for AP cards at the Guest Services window. It took longer than expected, and the lady told us she would give us a fast pass for anything we wanted. We chose Test Track, since we hadn't gotten one for it. Good thing, too. The line for TT was about 90 minutes. The fast pass was good all day long.

4. Surprising our children! They had no idea we were going on the trip. We picked them up from school around noon, told them where we were going, and left! It was awesome!

5. Darth's Mall - It was amazing! So much cool stuff!

6. My DD9 was the rebel spy! She totally got a t-shirt for that.

The Bad

1. The hide-a-bed mattress at the Blue Heron Beach resort. Quite possibly the worst mattress i've ever seen. My son had to sleep on it for three nights. The fourth night, he instead piled up the couch cushions and slept on them.

2. Spending $500 on two character meals. I mean, the food was good (the food at the Sci Fi breakfast was VERY good), and the character interaction was great, but $55 a person? Holy cow.

3. Fast Pass + system - Hate it. I mean, we did get to ride most everything we wanted to in three parks in three days (with the exceptions of Mission Space and Spaceship Earth), but it completely takes the spontaneity out of your day. Previously, we could pick and choose what to ride and when, and what to grab FP for, based on lines. Now, you have to guess and hope. We love SSE, but the wait for it was an insane 60 minutes long! On a Thursday! Seriously? We never would have guessed that 60 days out, so we didn't FP+ it. And, on our last day, we had used all of our FPs by noon, went to the "kiosk", tried to snag FPs for Toy Story or RnRC, but they were all gone. Bummer.

4. The lines for the FP+ Kiosk - What's up with not being able to choose your fourth FP from the app? Maybe this feature will come in a future update.

The Ugly

1. The Shell station in Little Lake Bryan charging $6/gallon for gas. WOW. Every other station in the area? $3.60 - $3.70.

2. Watching someone behind me on I-95 almost get in a huge accident. It was raining on our way home, and going up I-95, I happened to see the car behind me hydroplane, lose control, and do a 360 spin. Luckily, there was no one in the next lane, and there was space behind us and them, so they didn't hit anyone. And they managed to get it going the right way again. But that was *scary*.

hauntedmansiongirl
06-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Scary that you witnessed a hydroplaning on the I-95! Thank goodness that you were okay!

I can't believe a 60 min wait for SE! That is insane! And $55 per person for character dining...wow! I don't even know what to say about that!

faline
06-03-2014, 08:05 AM
3. Fast Pass + system - Hate it. I mean, we did get to ride most everything we wanted to in three parks in three days (with the exceptions of Mission Space and Spaceship Earth), but it completely takes the spontaneity out of your day. Previously, we could pick and choose what to ride and when, and what to grab FP for, based on lines. Now, you have to guess and hope. We love SSE, but the wait for it was an insane 60 minutes long! On a Thursday! Seriously? We never would have guessed that 60 days out, so we didn't FP+ it. And, on our last day, we had used all of our FPs by noon, went to the "kiosk", tried to snag FPs for Toy Story or RnRC, but they were all gone. Bummer.

4. The lines for the FP+ Kiosk - What's up with not being able to choose your fourth FP from the app? Maybe this feature will come in a future update.

I share some of your feelings about this. I didn't hate the fastpass+ system but I don't like it either. We found that we often didn't use our booked fastpasses because the lines for the rides we had them for were non-existent and they weren't needed. I also didn't like NEEDING to be in a certain place, at a certain time. Yes, you had to do that with the old system but you had more control over it. If you went to the park in the morning, did pretty much everything you wanted and grabbed a fastpass or two for lines that were long when you arrived, you were fine. Additionally, there were times when I wouldn't get a fastpass based on the available return times. Feels far too regimented to me and I found that we spent more time hanging out in the parks to use our pre-booked fastpasses than relaxing at our resort as I often prefer to do.

We never got additional fastpasses (the system had JUST changed - a week or two before our trip and we had booked most of our fastpasses for afternoons based on not being able to add additional fastpasses). We did notice the long kiosk lines and it appeared, sometimes, that it would be faster just to stand in the ride line than to stand in the kiosk line to get another fastpass!!

Glad you had a good, though quick, trip!!

yjgirl32
06-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for sharing.

princessgirls
06-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks for sharing!

So glad you didn't end your trip by witnessing a horrific accident, and glad the driver wasn't hurt.

Thanks for the feedback on FastPass +, not sure I'm going to be a fan either...we will see....

Julie:mickey:

emerzmom
06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I agree, I don't care much for the Fast Pass+ either. I like waking up in the morning and saying "what park do you want to go to today?" Having to plan every day and every park so far in advance is too much planning for me for vacation. I may want to sleep in, get up and go, stay late, etc....can't do as much of that with the new system. I guess it is not all that different from making ADR's but it just feels different. I am sure I will get used to it. I love WDW too much.
Thanks for your report. :mickey:
:tink:
Julie

azcavalier
06-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree, I don't care much for the Fast Pass+ either. I like waking up in the morning and saying "what park do you want to go to today?" Having to plan every day and every park so far in advance is too much planning for me for vacation. I may want to sleep in, get up and go, stay late, etc....can't do as much of that with the new system. I guess it is not all that different from making ADR's but it just feels different. I am sure I will get used to it. I love WDW too much.
Thanks for your report. :mickey:
:tink:
Julie

Yeah, we usually have ADRs along with the extra magic hours, which help us decide which parks we're going to hit on certain days. We figured that since we already know that we're doing such-and-such park in the morning, and then going to such-and-such park in the afternoon, we could just use the FP+ system to get Fast Passes for the headliners in the park we'd be hitting later in the day. That kind of worked, except that if you go to a park with a tiered FP+ system, you simply won't be able to ride certain rides without waiting in long lines. Or, if you have your FPs set up for the morning, by the time you've used them all, it's hard to snag more FPs for anything that actually needs it.

It seems to me that what the FP+ system has done is to actually increase wait times for rides that didn't even have or need a Fast Pass previously (see Spaceship Earth).