PDA

View Full Version : Linking Magic Band with Disney Visa Reward Dollars

princessgirls
06-02-2014, 12:06 PM
With all this great new technology, I was wondering if you can link your Disney reward dollars onto your Magic Band?

We normally either pre-order or get one issued to us at Guest Services at the beginning of a trip with our accumulated reward dollars on it, and use it for extras while in WDW.

Thanks for your feedback!
Julie:mickey:

TheVBs
06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
We had hoped to do the same when we were there last. Unfortunately, the front desk said it wasn't possible. We couldn't even have them use the whole amount as a credit we could use for room charges. They could only charge the rewards card if we had charges on the room. So every couple of nights we had to go to the front desk and use it to clear our room charges. Kind of a pain. I had really wanted to just have that credit sitting there for us to use.

princessgirls
06-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I guess the debit card Visa gives us will have to do.
Thanks!!!

LVT
06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
We take our rewards cards to the desk at check in and they use them up first on the room charges. We have been doing this for several years, including WDW and DL (2014 May). Maybe you got a newer CM.:)

Dulcee
06-08-2014, 01:09 PM
We tried that last year as well. Didn't work. Midway through the trip we just headed down to the front desk and had it applied to our balance. Easy enough...

Goofy4TheWorld
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
We had hoped to do the same when we were there last. Unfortunately, the front desk said it wasn't possible. We couldn't even have them use the whole amount as a credit we could use for room charges. They could only charge the rewards card if we had charges on the room. So every couple of nights we had to go to the front desk and use it to clear our room charges. Kind of a pain. I had really wanted to just have that credit sitting there for us to use.

We tried that last year as well. Didn't work. Midway through the trip we just headed down to the front desk and had it applied to our balance. Easy enough...

I have always applied my reward dollars as a credit on my room charges account during check-in that I would spend down to zero, then continue charging using the standard 500/1000/1500 limits. Unfortunately, about 50% of the time I get a CM who doesn't know how to create a credit balance, or insists that it cannot be done, but I take that CM to school every time and insist it can, and if I have to pull rank and waive management over I do. I hate having to be such a PIA over this issue, but my time on vacation is important to me and I am not going to spend it needlessly standing in line multiple times to pay my balance off all because a CM doesn't know what the system is capable of doing.

yankeesfan123
06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
I have always applied my reward dollars as a credit on my room charges account during check-in that I would spend down to zero, then continue charging using the standard 500/1000/1500 limits. Unfortunately, about 50% of the time I get a CM who doesn't know how to create a credit balance, or insists that it cannot be done, but I take that CM to school every time and insist it can, and if I have to pull rank and waive management over I do. I hate having to be such a PIA over this issue, but my time on vacation is important to me and I am not going to spend it needlessly standing in line multiple times to pay my balance off all because a CM doesn't know what the system is capable of doing.

It's also very possible that the CM is trained, not told how, or specifically told NOT TO credit the balance.

Just because 50% of CMs do it does not mean they are the correct ones.

And on top of that, just because a manager will do it does not mean they are supposed to do it either. However, it is much easier to do it than make a guest angry, so that's what they do.

If they aren't supposed to do it, it's probable that they follow steps similar to these:

1. "Sorry, we can't do that". 90% of guests probably leave at this point thinking it's no big deal.

2. If the guest gets angry, the CM can either
(A) apply the credit themselves against policy, or
(B) wait for a manager be requested and then let the manager override the policy.

I'm not saying this is definitely their procedure, I'm just saying that we can't automatically say that half of the CMs don't know what they're doing just because they won't apply the credit.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-09-2014, 12:23 PM
It's also very possible that the CM is trained, not told how, or specifically told NOT TO credit the balance.

Just because 50% of CMs do it does not mean they are the correct ones.

And on top of that, just because a manager will do it does not mean they are supposed to do it either. However, it is much easier to do it than make a guest angry, so that's what they do.

If they aren't supposed to do it, it's probable that they follow steps similar to these:

1. "Sorry, we can't do that". 90% of guests probably leave at this point thinking it's no big deal.

2. If the guest gets angry, the CM can either
(A) apply the credit themselves against policy, or
(B) wait for a manager be requested and then let the manager override the policy.

I'm not saying this is definitely their procedure, I'm just saying that we can't automatically say that half of the CMs don't know what they're doing just because they won't apply the credit.

I don't get angry by any means, I simply don't accept what I know to be incorrect answers. I have read many postings by TheRustyScupper and CleveRocks (two high authorities on WDW policies) about room charges, they have even made postings quoting the WDW front desk procedures manual on the matter. I also explicitly asked the manager at the CR in 2010 if advanced payments on room charges are procedurally allowed, and she told me absolutely, even if it wasn't widely know amongst all CMs. I further validated this at AoA in 2013 during a very informative chat with the manager who was correcting a problem on my room account. I am NEVER someone who wants to break, or even flex just a little, the rules or to think I deserve different treatment, but when it comes to limiting my overall time standing in line at the Front Desk, I will make the effort to get things set up correctly the first time so that I can spend more time standing in line at Space Mountain instead.

TheVBs
06-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I think it's certainly possible that our CM was at least new-ish. And I do remember reading here that others have successfully done this. It certainly would have been more convenient than coming back with it to clear the balance. However, at the moment, I chose not to pursue it. I think my entire focus was just on getting into the room. But, next time I think I'll double check on it if they tell me I can't.

princessgirls
06-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Our last trip was in 2012, and we are planning a trip for late November, and there is a lot of new things to learn! Magic Bands, Fast Pas +, My Magic Experience App...

I have several hundred dollars in rewards money, but maybe I'll just get the debit card and use it how I always did, until it is gone, and not use my "magic band" to pay for everything. The less complicated the better for that... as my husband tends to remind me....They are rewards, aka free money!!!

Imalismom
06-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Just left WDW, and had $800.00 on my rewards card when I checked in. I just used it as a charge card - did not have it placed on my magic band. Since I was staying at Shades of Green, they do not use the magic band system, so for me, it was just easier to keep the card with me. I was able to have my 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets tied to the magic bands at TTC with no problems when we activated the voucher we had gotten at Lackland AFB.

Hint: If you have a son or daughter getting ready to go off to college, get a charge card of your choice with a reward system tied to it. Then charge your son or daughters' college tuition to the card before paying it, and you will be amazed at how fast the "free" points add up.

princessgirls
06-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks!!

We haven't been to Disney in a few years, so I do have a couple of hundred dollars to use... LOVE THAT!!!
I'm just going to get the card. It's easy.