PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Everest Vulture?

WDWdriver
05-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Riders on EE yesterday saw a rare sight as their train came to a sudden stop at the point where the tracks are torn up and twisted. In the moments they waited for the train to reverse, a huge vulture rose up and hovered briefly in the sky ahead. For a few of the riders it was a trip back in time.

In the first months of operation at Expedition Everest (back when the yeti swiped and roared at the passing trains) there was another animated critter visible to guests on the ride. At the torn up trestle, a Himalayan Lammergeier vulture with an eight foot wingspan and a high-pitched cry would rise into view ahead of the train, hovering as if on a current of wind, and then disappearing below the mountain ridge. The vulture animation wasn't one of Disney's best effects, and was widely criticized as being "cheesy".

The vulture was back in operation yesterday. It may have been a temporary test of the effect. Or it could be a sign that they are going to restore some of the lost EE effects. Did you know that the mountain top can be shrouded in mist from hidden steam vents? And that the trains would pass through a mist filled canyon during the ride?

Who knows? Maybe they will even fix the yeti someday!

faline
05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I remember the vulture well - I hope its return is permanent!!

#1donaldfan
05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
We rode it the very first month it opened. I do not remember the mist. That would be an incredible effect !!! :mickey:

dnickels
05-30-2014, 12:54 PM
I've never seen any of those effects so that'd be really cool. :thumbsup:

A few months ago I came across a history page about the Universe of Energy and I was amazed at how many little effects the ride used to have in the dinosaur section that have just flat out been turned off or left unrepaired. Most of them I could remember from when I was a kid but haven't seen active in years. It'd be great if they could get more rides and attractions back up to their full capabilities.