PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mt..???

polarbear72834
05-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Going to Disney world the last week of oct this year. I have wanted to ride splash Mt. but so far have not got up the nerve to do so. So honestly, how bad is the waterfall drop ??? Going to try and ride it in Oct. that is unless you all tell me the drop is terrible scary... I'm facing one fear at a time.. Finally rode Mission Space , the tamer side on my last trip and so glad I did. It was fun.. Been dodging it ever since it was built, afraid it would be to scary . I know I'll never manage RR or TT .

Speedy1998
05-27-2014, 12:33 PM
That really depends on you and how afraid of drops you are.

Have you been able to ride Space Moutain, or Big thunder mountain? If you can not get yourself on those, I would not try Splash.

polarbear72834
05-27-2014, 12:43 PM
I've rode thunder mt. and while it scared me pretty bad , I still ride it on some trips for my hubby's sake.. Rode space mt. once and will never ever get back on.. scared the heck out of me.. Have not rode the ride with the yeti at AK . I think it's a roller coaster to ??

ThanxForNoticin
05-27-2014, 12:43 PM
That really is a difficult question to answer for someone else! We don't find the SM drop to be that big a deal, but I can see how some folks would get anxious about it. One thing I can tell you without hesitation - it's a pretty soft landing. I've never experienced anyone getting hurt or having any issues with the ride - other than getting soaking wet! I hope you decide to give it a try.... Good luck.

Jack Skellington
05-27-2014, 12:54 PM
We are definitely thrill riders, but I haven't found it to be scary.

It's a drop, but the landing is very smooth, not really jarring at all, and the only "negative" is that you might get wet!

You should try it at least once! The theming, songs, and story are well worth it!

JS:mickey:

RBrooksC
05-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Well, I rode the ride with my son when he was five year old.

He loved the drop.

The drop really isn't that bad. Besides, there are now seat belts on the ride so there really isn't a good chance of falling out.

AgentC
05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
I think the anticipate of the drop is really worse than the drop.

The majority of the ride is calm. There are a few minor rough spots but really the only big drop is at the end and it's over fast. I would give it a try. It is worth it to see the rest of the ride.

PopPhan
05-27-2014, 01:18 PM
I suffer from vertigo and have problems with a lot of flume type rides because you can see the bottom of the drop. Splash Mountain does not affect me in the slightest in this situation. In that, once you crest the hill for the "big drop", you are looking into/at the Briar Patch and cannot really see the bottom of the drop.

I can ride this all day long and no feel any ill effects.

MargaretMessler
05-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Well, I rode the ride with my son when he was five year old.

He loved the drop.

The drop really isn't that bad. Besides, there are now seat belts on the ride so there really isn't a good chance of falling out.

When did they add seatbelts? I don't remember them and I was there in September. (Did I block that out?)

And for the OP, it's not bad at all. The anticipation is worse, but if you can work up the nerve to go on the ride, it is a super awesome attraction. There are also some small "pretend" drops as you float through, just the one larger one at the end.

I would definitely try it at least the once. :thumbsup:

RBrooksC
05-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Maybe it wasn't seat belts, just lap bars. I know most roller coasters are getting seat belts now so I maybe just confusing them in my head. Either way, there is something there to hold in a passenger.

1DisneyNut
05-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Ride it. Once you do, you will be like "What was I afraid of?" All you do is roll down a hill with a smooth transition at the bottom. It isn't like a drop off a cliff or something.

joonyer
05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
. . . Besides, there are now seat belts on the ride so there really isn't a good chance of falling out.

Just to be Clear. No one has "fallen" out of the logs on Splash Mountain during the ride. The lap bars have been put in to keep people from getting out of the logs when the ride has been stopped for some reason, or to prevent some idiots from standing up before the drop. They may make you feel more secure, but there was never any risk of falling out, on the drop or anywhere else on the ride for that matter.

mamatedd
05-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Not a fan of BTMRR & absolutely HATE Space Mountain, but I LOVE Splash Mountain! The drop is not really scary, but thrilling & funny! The inside is classic dark ride with fun music. The view from the top is gorgeous! It's a must do (at least once)! I'd be very surprised if you didn't love it! :mickey:

steamboat willy
05-27-2014, 06:12 PM
My then 70 year old Grandmother road Splash and LOVED it. We smile for her every time we ride. You can do it!:cool:

yankeesfan123
05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
It's 50 feet high and a 45 degree angle... You'll get wet but it's not a severe drop.

Main Street Jim
05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
It's 50 feet high and a 45 degree angle... You'll get wet but it's not a severe drop....and all of about three seconds of dropping :) Close your eyes, count to three....and it's all done with :coaster:

PETE FROM NYC
05-27-2014, 11:08 PM
I am not a coaster fan. I rode Space Mtn once in 75, never again. I rode Splash once, and although its on of the best decorated attractions, I will never do it again. Sorry, but I just can' take drops. On the other side of the equation, I usually do ride BTMRR, for some unknown reason, that one doesn't bother me.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-28-2014, 09:27 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the new Seven Dwarfs coaster. I am afraid of heights and it looks like it might have a big drop too.

RBrooksC
05-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Just to be Clear. No one has "fallen" out of the logs on Splash Mountain during the ride. The lap bars have been put in to keep people from getting out of the logs when the ride has been stopped for some reason, or to prevent some idiots from standing up before the drop. They may make you feel more secure, but there was never any risk of falling out, on the drop or anywhere else on the ride for that matter.

I was aware of why the lap bars were installed but for somebody who is fearful, knowing they are there, is like a safety blanket.

Speedy1998
05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
I've rode thunder mt. and while it scared me pretty bad , I still ride it on some trips for my hubby's sake.. Rode space mt. once and will never ever get back on.. scared the heck out of me.. Have not rode the ride with the yeti at AK . I think it's a roller coaster to ??

OK. Just my opinion, but if Big Thunder moutain scares you, you should not ride Splash. My wife handles Big thunder just fine, but only rode Splash once, and refuses to get on it again.

VacationDisney
05-28-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't find Splash Mountain to be scary. If you do ride it plan on getting soaked.

Have fun:thumbsup:

Giggy
05-31-2014, 11:56 AM
OK. Just my opinion, but if Big Thunder moutain scares you, you should not ride Splash. My wife handles Big thunder just fine, but only rode Splash once, and refuses to get on it again.

My mother found the opposite. She avoids the rollercoasters, before our last trip she had once done the Barnstormer - and vowed never again!

Last trip she did BTMRR and Splash Mountain and was glad she did both. She won't do Space Mountain though. I guess different things get different people and though she doesn't like drops she can raqtionalise that she could count to 3 and the drop was over whereas she enjoyed the rest of the ride.

My advice would be unless you are absolutely certain you don't want to do something try everything once. Worst case scenario you hate it and know not to do it again, best case you have a new ride to enjoy. :mickey:

cer
05-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Maybe instead of thinking of it as a drop, we should think of it as a giant slide. :mickey:

woodyspal
06-13-2014, 09:07 PM
...and all of about three seconds of dropping :) Close your eyes, count to three....and it's all done with :coaster:

This. :thumbsup:

Since you sound about as couragoeus as me, I'll tell you the drop is scary. SCARY. (Our home park is Cedar Point and I stick to the kiddie rides.) But the drop really is over quickly, and the rest of the ride is so worth it. There are also 2 smaller drops I screamed on my first time. They still scare me, but at least I know they're coming!

If you ask the rest of my family, including the little squirts, they'll tell you it's not scary at all.

Bonus - my face of terror makes for some amusing pictures that give everyone a good chuckle!

Main Street Jim
06-13-2014, 09:27 PM
(Our home park is Cedar Point and I stick to the kiddie rides.):thumbsup::thumbsup: Ours too! We're about an hour and a half southeast of Sandusky, down near Akron! Where are you guys?

joonyer
06-13-2014, 09:33 PM
This. :thumbsup:

Since you sound about as couragoeus as me, I'll tell you the drop is scary. SCARY. (Our home park is Cedar Point and I stick to the kiddie rides.) But the drop really is over quickly, and the rest of the ride is so worth it. There are also 2 smaller drops I screamed on my first time. They still scare me, but at least I know they're coming!

You really should ride Millenium Force, 300 plus foot drop, 93 mph and 2 and a half minutes of TERROR! I've talked DW into riding it with me and our boys and she screams the whole ride, but loves it. After a ride like that, Splash Mountain is a piece of cake. You should put all the big coasters at Cedar Point on your bucket list. :D

stephicakes
06-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Going to Disney world the last week of oct this year. I have wanted to ride splash Mt. but so far have not got up the nerve to do so.

*Instigator chants* "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT..!" :woohoo:

texas211
06-14-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm afraid of heights, and don't like being jarred too much. That being said, have no problem w/ Splash Mountain. If you sit in the back, it is always easier to take drops.

DKA041177
06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Splash Mountain may be may absolute favorite ride in the park. It is fantastic, a long ride, great theme and characters. Now the drop will take your breath away..., but it is not the craziest drop ever.

#1donaldfan
06-18-2014, 11:43 AM
It's not bad at all. It's daunting but perfectly safe. You have to ride it. My sister is scared of everything there but will ride splash. You will thank us all once you do. You will remember it always and will always go back to it!!:thumbsup:

Arielfan98
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
It's definitely worth a try. You can't conquer your fear by avoiding it. I would start small with Big Thunder Mountain because it really does not have big drops for a coaster. Secondly, I've always found Splash Mountain to be fun and they really wean you into it with small drops prior to the big one. Give a try and if you don't like it then you shouldn't do it again. Best wishes :)

mitchsfan
06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Like the previous poster said, it is a tough question for us to answer. But in my eyes, the drop is not bad at all. it is over in 4-5 seconds. If this is something you want to do...then try it once. What is the worse that could happen?

TheHD
06-18-2014, 08:06 PM
The vultures on the up-hill climb are scarier than the drop. It's my favorite ride at MK, but then again I love drops (biased). :mickey:

thejens
06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
I am pretty wimpy, terrified of heights, and hate drops, yet I love Splash. Except for that last drop the rest of the ride is long and calm and sweet. The anticipation (ie. fear!) is the worst. The actual drop is so quick! Pete is totally correct, it is exactly 3 seconds long and my strategy was to count to 3 at the drop - feeling that I could handle anything that lasted 3 seconds and this gave me a comforting sense of control! Now I find I enjoy it and am no longer afraid. I love BTM and enjoy SM, though I used to be frightened of it too. I have never done RR and am not a fan of TOT. I think Splash is worth doing!

polarbear72834
06-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone, Not sure if I'll get the nerve to ride it or not. I'm one major chicken when it comes to drops or speed. Rode test track on our last trip and thought I was going to have a heart attack when it zoomed off so fast.. Probably on the list of rides I'll never ride again.

DonaldDuckUSA
06-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Ah come on. You gotta do Slash. Its one of the best themed rides in Disney. :mickey:

RoyalDuchessofDisney
10-05-2014, 11:05 PM
If I were you I would give it a try! (If you don't mind getting wet) The large hill isn't so bad, but there are a few smaller hills throughout the ride just fyi. Think of it this way, the big hill only lasts for like three seconds, so if you do find it scary, the rest of the ride will make up for it :)

ransam
10-06-2014, 02:17 AM
the drop is no sweat. If you don't want to get overly wet, ride in the back.

Aurora
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM
You are obviously like me, a big chicken. :mickey: As I get older I can handle big drops and roller coasters less and less. But I will ride almost anything once -- the one exception is Mission Space, cause I already know what that would do to me. :sick:

I can't remember how many times I've ridden Splash Mountain -- maybe more than 20 times. But I will tell you that I get scared before the drop. Every. Single. Time. And on the way down I scream like the little kids in Monsters Inc.

But it's such a GREAT RIDE in the classic Disney tradition that it's a real shame if you don't experience it. So put that fear in your pocket and do it. Yes, you'll be scared for a few seconds, but it's totally worth it.

Mogie
10-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Do it. You'll learn to love it. I used to fear the drops and all coasters for that matter. My problem was the feeling you get in your stomach. But that happened because I tensed my muscles. The key is to relax your body. You won't get that uncomfortable feeling as you drop, but instead you'll start to feel an exhilarating feeling of motion. Tower of terror, splash mtn you name it...I got over the fear pretty quickly when I learned to relax. Splash mountain also doesn't have much anticipation of the drop it kind of just happens and it's over in a second.

Jen1984
10-06-2014, 06:04 PM
I say do it! I'm exactly the same as you- total wimp, and it's only getting worse with age! When I was young, I didn't have a problem with Splash at all, then refused to go on it for a good 15 years! On my last trip, I watched a youtube video of the ride, and counted down the drop as PP have mentioned, and decided to go for it. The rest of the ride is lovely, and honestly the anticipation is the worst bit. Get yourself a FP+ so you don't have to worry all the way through the queue, count to 3 during the drop, scream your heart out and at the end of it I'll bet you'll want to get straight back on. I did!

Have a great trip!

brad192
10-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Ah come on. You gotta do Slash. Its one of the best themed rides in Disney. :mickey:

Slash??? LOL That would certainly put a new spin on the ride, wouldn't it?:funny: