PDA

View Full Version : New to US - special diets and accomodations ??

margiem
05-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Hi,

We just got back from Disney about a month ago. 3 trips in 4 years, feel like we kind of beat it to death. Next year - year and a half we were thinking of heading to Universal Studios, Sea World and maybe just a day or 2 at Disney (Epcot and HS). We have twin 14 year old boys then would be 15 or 16; (one cannot ride roller coasters for health reasons), one with food allergies. Was on the US site and couldn't really find a "special diets" like WDW. This is going to be critical in planning. Disney makes it so easy, I'm hoping US will also.

Next question is how many days at each resort. I was thinking 2 or 3 nights at US (is that enough time) and then 2 or 3 nights in Disney. Which would you stay at if taking a day at Sea World? (the cheaper one I'm thinking but hoping to get some feedback on this).

We are just in the discussion phase of planning. Thanks!

eeyorefamily
05-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Universal Studios was terrible with special diets! My daughter and I both have Celiac and must follow a gluten free diet. Pretty much the only option was a hamburger without a bun, and you had to buy it as a meal with fries, and the fries were not gluten free! So essentially I had to pay for food that we could not eat! When we went the 2nd time, we left the parks before dinner so we only had to eat there once a day. I hear the table service restaurant (Athos?) is supposed to be good for gluten free, but it seemed rather expensive to us and the food didn't really appeal to my daughter.

DizneyFreak2002
05-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Eeyore, I think you meant Mythos ;)

As for special diets, honestly, their website is not the best to find information... It is best to call ahead and discuss with a Guest Services Team Member for dietary information...

As for length of stay, it really depends on what you plan on doing... Are you planning one park a day at Universal? Are you planning on seeing everything? What time of year are you going?

If you stay on site at Universal, you'll get free Express Pass for every day you are there (exception is staying at Cabana Bay Beach, no Express Pass available with your stay there)... 3 days for Universal, at this point in time, is fine... 1 day is not enough, and 2 days is still not allowing you to see everything without rushing... But 3 days, you should be able to take it ALL in, not just the attractions, but the atmosphere too...