PDA

View Full Version : Gringotts Ride

MizMissy
05-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Universal has posted pictures of its new Gringotts ride on Facebook. It looks fantastic. The ride vehicles look like the Mummy ride .... which is great for me, because I can handle "coaster" type rides much better than the swinging arm rides (like FJ).

cer
05-13-2014, 02:55 PM
It does look fantastic.

MNNHFLTX
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Universal has posted pictures of its new Gringotts ride on Facebook. It looks fantastic. The ride vehicles look like the Mummy ride .... which is great for me, because I can handle "coaster" type rides much better than the swinging arm rides (like FJ).Yes, from what we heard on our trip to UO last weekend, the ride sounds like it will be similar to the Mummy ride, albeit with 3D. The queuing area also sounds like it will be quite interesting.

buzznwoodysmom
05-13-2014, 04:52 PM
That sounds awesome!!!! Mummy is one of our favorite rides....anywhere. So if the new ride is in anyway similar we will love it. Actually it's Harry Potter so I guess we will love it no matter what. Lol.

DizneyFreak2002
05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
It's not a coaster... Well, not a true coaster... It is on a coaster track but the vehicles are more like Spiderman... More dark ride than coaster... They are motion based vehicles..

And this ride will set the new bar for theme park attractions... Diagon Alley will set the new bar for theme park lands... Universal does it again...

Dream'nDisney
05-27-2014, 11:28 AM
I remember watching HP for the first time and thinking what an awesome ride it would be if they made the Gringott scene into a ride. I sure wish they were doing soft openings next week when we are going to be there!!!

DizneyFreak2002
05-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Check out the Universal Blog... They have a wonderful video on the making of the ride... Very interesting.. Can't wait to get on this thing!!!

thejens
06-30-2014, 12:45 AM
So...by not really a coaster, but more a dark ride, does that mean wimpy folks like me will be okay? I like Space Mountain, but not a big fan of drops etc.

BrerGnat
06-30-2014, 08:25 AM
So...by not really a coaster, but more a dark ride, does that mean wimpy folks like me will be okay? I like Space Mountain, but not a big fan of drops etc.

There is a big drop, but it sounds mostly like a "virtual" drop. I wouldn't call it "like a dark ride." I would say it is like a more extreme (movement wise) version of Dinosaur. This ride spins, jolts, and tips and it is presented in 360 degree 3D (glasses are worn). So, movements feel exaggerated by the visuals but the vehicle does move quite a bit.

John
06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
There is a big drop, but it sounds mostly like a "virtual" drop. I wouldn't call it "like a dark ride." I would say it is like a more extreme (movement wise) version of Dinosaur. This ride spins, jolts, and tips and it is presented in 360 degree 3D (glasses are worn). So, movements feel exaggerated by the visuals but the vehicle does move quite a bit.

Nat - are you sure? The cars look to be the same as used in the Mummy attraction - and that one gives you a pretty good ride.

BrerGnat
06-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Nat - are you sure? The cars look to be the same as used in the Mummy attraction - and that one gives you a pretty good ride.

Well, I'm not SURE, since I haven't personally experienced it. However, I have been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on after the media preview. I don't mind spoilers. I've read several in depth reviews of the ride and the consensus seems to be that it's significantly less intense and thrilling than Forbidden Journey, and a bit more thrilling than Spiderman and although it is a cart on a track, it's not really a high speed coaster. The restraints are pretty restrictive due to the way the cart moves which sounds pretty crazy. The big drop is mostly accomplished by excessive (almost vertical) tipping of the cart forward rather than an actual hill. The ride height requirement is only 42". That equates roughly to a child around 4 years old. In addition, riders wear 3D glasses, which would definitely be a problem if the ride was a high speed coaster.

John
06-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm not SURE, since I haven't personally experienced it. However, I have been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on after the media preview. I don't mind spoilers. I've read several in depth reviews of the ride and the consensus seems to be that it's significantly less intense and thrilling than Forbidden Journey, and a bit more thrilling than Spiderman and although it is a cart on a track, it's not really a high speed coaster. The restraints are pretty restrictive due to the way the cart moves which sounds pretty crazy. The big drop is mostly accomplished by excessive (almost vertical) tipping of the cart forward rather than an actual hill. The ride height requirement is only 42". That equates roughly to a child around 4 years old. In addition, riders wear 3D glasses, which would definitely be a problem if the ride was a high speed coaster.

Interesting - can't wait till I'll be down in October to see first hand.

BrerGnat
06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah, it sounds very interesting. I will be in Orlando in August visiting family but I am going to try and pawn my boys off on my parents for a day and sneak off to Universal to check it out!

DizneyFreak2002
06-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Not sure how this special will be but tonight on NBC is a one how making of Diagon Alley special... I will be watching... Nice way to start the night before Under the Dome... :)