PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Coronado: Advice?

Disney OB RN
05-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Returning to WDW for convention in June: first time to stay at Coronado. Any advice or words of wisdom regarding this resort? Our family of 5 has two adjoining rooms, & will have our own vehicle. Magic Bands ordered! Thanks!:mickey:

Gator
05-12-2014, 02:31 PM
First, where can I find a job that has it's conferences at WDW!!!!!

For Coronado, this is my favorite resort. Unfortunately, I'll never be there again unless we can fit 5 people into one room. The Rancho area is my favorite spot. It has a great desert feel to it, plus it's close to the bus stops and the awesome pool. You'll want to use that a lot in June. The Pepper Market has the best CS food, especially if you're on the dining plan - it only costs one credit to get something like a rip-eye steak!

All I can say is that I'm jeally.

buzznwoodysmom
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
We have only stayed at Coronado once, but we really enjoyed that stay.

We were in the Cabanas section. After riding Surrey bikes around the property I can honestly say Cabanas is the only section we would ever want to stay in. It had a nice beachy, tropical feel. I think I would ask to switch resorts if I ended up in the Ranchos section. I do not like the desert vibe at all! We found the Cabanas section to be a great location. We weren't far from the main pool, and not a bad walk to the food court/gift shop/main building. Each section has its own bus stop so you are close enough to a bus no matter which location.

While many people rave about the food court at Coronado, we have found it to be hit or miss. We have had at least one great meal there, but we have had some pretty bad meals as well. The rib-eye steak mentioned by another poster was not good in our opinion. But your family may enjoy it. While there are lots of options, more than most other food courts, the problem we found was that not all of these great, unique options were actually good. Some items looked and sounded great, but weren't tasty at all. And if you are not on the dining plan, eating in this food court will likely cost you more than most other quick service meals.

Disney OB RN
05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Appreciate the Feedback: At this point, as a convention attendee, I bet I will be limited to any requests for a certain Casita on the property, but will still ask as commentaries come in:cool:.....we will not be on the dining plan, so all dining comments are helpful. I think the pool will appeal to my teens. We are just spoiled by our last stays at the Boardwalk/Beach Club with its proximity to walk to Epcot, I"m in a bit of withdrawal! But as always, looking forward to trying out a new Disney Resort. Because its DISNEY!!!!

hauntedmansiongirl
05-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I just noticed that your signature is "Disney OB RN!" I'm a labour & delivery nurse in Burlington, Ontario Canada. What convention are you going to? Someday I will get to one!

We've been to Coronado three times. Twice in the Ranchos, once on the Casitas. The physical rooms were the same. All were near quiet pools. The Casitas too was closer to the main building.

We like the fajitas in Pepper Market. It is enough for both of us to share. We like to eat outside, so we ask for a "to go" sheet, which they then stamp with each item you order. Instead of sitting inside and being required to pay a tip to a server who brings your drinks, we take everything outside. We love to watch the birds, turtles and baby gators on the lake. The scenery is amazing! And it saves a bit of money.

The buses to the parks aren't as full and crazy as CBR, POP or POR. At least during the day. I think because the conventioneers are busy all day. It's a welcome respite to actually sit on a bus!

Another thing we like is the gym. Lots of equipment and never too busy. And the hair salon has come in handy before too. They also have the Ikon business centre. Being Canadian, we have lots of stuff shipped to us at the resort, and we pay a couple of dollars per package to pick it up at Ikon. Shipping in the US is about 50-75% off what it costs to ship to Canada! But I digress!

You will love Coronado! Enjoy you convention and your vacation!!!:mickey:

N2DisneyWorld
05-18-2014, 11:50 AM
We stayed at Coronado for the first time in February. We loved it! It's a very beautiful resort. We enjoyed the Pepper Market. If you are at the resort in the evening, try the Maya Grill for dinner. It was really good.

My daughter enjoyed the movie by the pool & the marshmallow roasts.

Have a great trip!

Disney OB RN
05-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks! The tip for getting food "to go" so you do not have to incur extra expense is a nice tidbit, and eating with outside scenery sounds great.
to haunted mansion girl: The Convention is (AWHONN) for us Labor and Delivery nurses! I've been waiting a long time to attend this in Disneyworld!!

Angelgirl65
05-21-2014, 07:40 AM
The "to go" tip does not apply anymore because the Pepper Market stop using servers and they no longer require a gratuity.

Disney OB RN
05-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks!:mickey:

VacationDisney
05-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Having only stayed at this resort once we loved it. The Pepper Market was very nice. We had no complaints at all about staying or eating at this resort.

Casitas is where we stayed and really like the vibe and overall feel of the resort.

Have a great time!

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
We loved this resort, so far our favorite. Pepper Market is a great unique CS eatery. Like another poster said there are bus stops spread around the resort so you never have far to walk.

Crow
05-22-2014, 10:55 PM
CSR is my fav mod. Pepper Mkt didn't seem quite as good. but there isn't a gratuity anymore. the pool is nice. I liked the cabanas or casitas better. Its a nice resort.

Crow
05-23-2014, 12:36 PM
just got off the phone w Dis reservations. I changed my reservation, took off a night and moved it from OKW to Coronado with military discount. saves some $.
Rix Lounge is the bar club there. it wasn't busy at all the last time I went.

hauntedmansiongirl
05-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Disney OB RN- sorry about the outdated info on Pepper Market!! We were just there in September and I hadn't heard that it had changed over. I think it will be a better setup now!

Too bad I missed out on the AWHONN conference! It sounds like a good one! If I could get time off of work I would go for sure! Have a great time!!

Melissa :)

twinboyz
06-19-2014, 09:21 AM
CSR is my fav mod. Pepper Mkt didn't seem quite as good. but there isn't a gratuity anymore. the pool is nice. I liked the cabanas or casitas better. Its a nice resort.

Thanks! Headed there hopefully in October for the first time.. :cloud9:

Crow
06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
rained most of the time so didn't walk around it this time. didn't use the food court, just Rix for a cookie and mug. and I was in the Ranchos area..which I don't like as much. but had a car