PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian Resort Announcments from 5/2/14 Press Event

Figment!
05-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Several Polynesian Resort Announcements were made at today's press event:

Bungalow Suites on Seven Seas Lagoon officially announced
Full lobby renovation officially announced
Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto announced to be added to the resort. This East Coast version of the popular Disneyland Hotel tiki bar will feature specialty tiki drinks and Polynesian-cuisine small plates.
Along with the renovations and additions, the resort hotel will return to the name “Disney's Polynesian Village Resort”

Official Concept art of New Resort Marquee, the New Lobby, and Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto were also released:

PirateLover
05-02-2014, 11:44 PM
So the big waterfall in the lobby is definitely gone? Excited about much of this project but I'll be sad to lose that feature.

Pirate Granny
05-02-2014, 11:56 PM
What are those things supposed to be that are hanging from the ceiling?

VWL Mom
05-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm a bit confused though, are the Bungalow Suites not DVC after all? Or are some going to be suites for cash guests and some villas for DVC? :confused:

MyDisneyworld
05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Looks very nice and lots more room. Can't wait to see the final results in person. Is there a date when they will be done yet?

DizneyFreak2002
05-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Blah... the heart and soul of the Poly is gone... The waterfall made the lobby... Now, welcome to any old lobby in any old hotel... Just as they take one step forward, Orlando takes three steps back...

Figment!
05-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm a bit confused though, are the Bungalow Suites not DVC after all? The local media reports only cited an announcement of "adding Bungalow Suites", although all previous reports have been that they will be for the Disney Vacation Club.

Hopefully John can clarify as he was at the event.

Is there a date when they will be done yet? Most of the changes/additions were announced to be complete in "2015".

Polynesian Dweller
05-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm a bit confused though, are the Bungalow Suites not DVC after all? Or are some going to be suites for cash guests and some villas for DVC? :confused:

They are DVC only.

VWL Mom
05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
They are DVC only.

That's what I thought but then why are they introducing them as suites? Just seemed odd to me.

Polynesian Dweller
05-03-2014, 09:56 PM
That's what I thought but then why are they introducing them as suites? Just seemed odd to me.

Because that's what they are. They are the DVC suites like the you get in the other DVCs. The plans have single and double bedroom suites at least. They are called bungalows because they are all single story.

VWL Mom
05-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Because that's what they are. They are the DVC suites like the you get in the other DVCs. The plans have single and double bedroom suites at least. They are called bungalows because they are all single story.

DVC units are not referred to as Suites, the are called Villas. That change in wording makes me question that there may be something else going on.

Polynesian Dweller
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
DVC units are not referred to as Suites, the are called Villas. That change in wording makes me question that there may be something else going on.

Yeah, but same thing. They are just calling them bungalows and suites because they are individual buildings with one suite each. In that way they are very different than the villas. Regardless, they are DVC and the Poly equivalent of villas. There is also some thoughts that you will have to be a DVC owner to book one and non-DVC people will not be able to rent points to get them. We'll see about that but it has been talked about.

Ian
05-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm extremely disappointed that they're doing away with the lobby waterfall. That waterfall sets the tone and mood for the entire resort perfectly the minute you walk in the door.

Very bad decision, IMO.

PirateLover
05-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm extremely disappointed that they're doing away with the lobby waterfall. That waterfall sets the tone and mood for the entire resort perfectly the minute you walk in the door.

Very bad decision, IMO.

I agree, and the more I think about it, the sadder I get. It's so much a part of what makes the Poly special. Yes it is huge and takes up lots of space but I love the atmosphere it sets. I love the smell and sound of the water. I was there once when they had the water turned off for cleaning and it just felt so... empty...

DisneyGirl85
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I hope they don't get rid of the hidden Mickey on the stone floor that's in the lobby! It's one of my favorite ones!!

mechanic
05-07-2014, 01:45 PM
What are those things supposed to be that are hanging from the ceiling?
Fishing net floats

dpamac
05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
As long as the lobby smells the same. For some reason that's my key memory of the place is the distinctive lobby smell.

Also it sounds like with Trader Sam's opening in WDW I'll be expanding my tiki glass collection.

Melanie
05-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Also it sounds like with Trader Sam's opening in WDW I'll be expanding my tiki glass collection.

Ah yes, this is bad news in that there goes another draw for you to finally get to Disneyland. ;)

I will say though, while I am happy for Trader Sam's to head east because I REALLY like it, it's kinda disappointing in that I like the unique things at each resort. This one is just too popular and fits perfect with the Poly to pass up though, I guess. :tikki:

cer
05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I agree, and the more I think about it, the sadder I get. It's so much a part of what makes the Poly special. Yes it is huge and takes up lots of space but I love the atmosphere it sets. I love the smell and sound of the water. I was there once when they had the water turned off for cleaning and it just felt so... empty...

I know it won't be the same, but when I study the picture, it looks like beneath the giant tiki, there may be some sort of water feature - hopefully...

dpamac
05-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Ah yes, this is bad news in that there goes another draw for you to finally get to Disneyland. ;)

It's not that I don't want to go to DL. It's that I'm lazy.

Aurora
05-08-2014, 06:56 PM

Very bad decision, IMO.

A lot of people agree with you. Most of the comments on the Disney blog are protesting the waterfall removal.

And there is a petition on change.org asking for the water feature to be left in the Poly. Right now it has close to 1,000 signatures!

dpamac
05-08-2014, 07:06 PM
A lot of people agree with you. Most of the comments on the Disney blog are protesting the waterfall removal.

And there is a petition on change.org asking for the water feature to be left in the Poly. Right now it has close to 1,000 signatures!

Such a difficult balance between, "we need to keep things updated, we need new things, we need changes otherwise we're looking at an aging park/resort/experience" and "don't change THAT!"

Except when they got rid of Nescafe coffee. No one mourned that.

BrerEmma
05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Are they going to finally do something with Tangaroa terrace or is it still going to sit empty?

ajwgroomer
05-11-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm so extremely disappointed they are getting rid of the waterfall:( That's what makes it so special! We need to make a petition to stop them from getting rid of it. It does take up a lot of space but who cares, it's awesome!!! Some things just need to be left alone. This is really upsetting..... :mad:

Catzle
05-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I read that the news bungalows will be both DVC and cash payers. I think I read this on the Tikiman site?

big blue and hairy
05-14-2014, 02:55 PM

I don't think 1000 signatures that are ridiculously easy to add on the internet is really that much. 10,000 or 20,000, I might start to take notice. Anytime anything changes at WDW more than 1000 people are in an uproar. You might find 1000 people who miss Nescafe:ack:....not me...but you get the point.

:sulley:

Septbride2002
05-14-2014, 08:34 PM
I think the changes will be interesting and I'm not at all upset about the loss of the waterfall. I realize I'm in the minority. Every Disney resort I've walked into has been well done with beautiful lobbies. I doubt there will be any difference with the changes being made at the Poly.

Janmac
05-15-2014, 11:30 AM
I know it won't be the same, but when I study the picture, it looks like beneath the giant tiki, there may be some sort of water feature - hopefully...

Looks like a water feature to me too. Perhaps this size will be easier to maintain?

Altho liquid streaming from underneath a weird creature could prompt some interesting questions from kids . . .

Jan