PDA

View Full Version : University of Baltimore

JoDisney
04-15-2014, 07:56 AM
What can you tell me about the area?

cspenc28
04-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I graduated from UB, and my sister's fiancé did to. It is in the middle of the Baltimore City, if you aren't comfortable with the city, than it may not be the university for you. I loved it, and if I choose to go back for grad school, that's where I'll go. What exactly do you want to know?

JoDisney
04-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Tell me about the Baltimore area. I understood that it was a high crime area. It seems the area has a lot to offer though. I remember Inner Harbor years and years ago. Is that nearby? Is that still popular with restaurants and stores? What area is good if you want to have a house not in the heart of the city?

cspenc28
04-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Sorry it took so long to respond, stomach bug hit us hard.

Baltimore is still considered a high crime area, but honestly, if you are aware of your surroundings, you will be fine. The inner harbor is about a 5-10 minute drive away from UB. There are many restaurants in the Mt Vernon area, which is where the school is located. Locations to live, I'm not sure of your budget, but I would definitely suggest living outside of the city, Baltimore County would be better. City taxes are really high. UB is right of off 83, so if you head north you can live in Towson, a good area, good schools, expensive homes. I live in SE Baltimore County, not the best reputation, but I've lived here all my life, and it's a great area. The cost of living is cheaper and the schools are good.
If you want to live in the city. Canton is a good area, again expensive. Hampden isn't too far away from UB, right off 83. I'm not very familiar with city living, because I don't live there. But parking is always an issue, and the homes are row homes, (for the most part), so no real privacy in your backyards.
Hope that helps.