PDA

View Full Version : Cali Grill or Jiko?

beksy
04-15-2014, 01:49 AM
We are a group of 3 "adults" (26, 32, and mom) and I am trying to make our list of places to eat...almost at the 180 day mark! I am not a picky eater and will try anything but the other 2 are more picky (happy with a good steak). We are not fancy eaters at home but splurge at Disney (even though we have to have the waiter translate the menu sometimes!) and are on the deluxe dining plan (we love to eat so always go with this and still save money). So with that background...

I had planned on going to Yachtsman one night (we always do several signature dining meals) but now I'm wondering about trying either the Cali Grill or Jiko. Would you all suggest changing to one of these, and if so, which? Or should I add one but keep the Yachtsman, skipping something else since few are definites for us? These are all new and I'm just going by the menus and reviews so please advise :mickey:

faline
04-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Both California Grill and Jiko are excellent restaurants. I might prefer Jiko myself but since this is new for you, the view from California Grill would edge Jiko out.

BayLaker25
04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
We are doing both Jiko and Cali Grill this next trip; we haven't been to Jiko in a while but I remember it being really good last time. On the other hand we haven't had a trip where we didn't go to Cali except when it was closed for renovations. I would say choose Cali Grill you can't beat the view, also try to make your dinner time so you can watch the fireworks :fworks: at MK from there.

DKA041177
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Jiko is my absolute favorite restaurant on property. Food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back. But I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices.

Disney Goof
04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Since you have a couple picky eaters, I would suggest Cali Grill even though Jiko is great too, it might be alittle to "adventurous" for them.

Enjoy!!!
:mickey:

SurferStitch
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
I voted Cali Grill, but Narcoossee's is our favorite. Both have fantastic views of the fireworks AND amazing food/service.

We are doing Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, and Yachtsman on our next trip, along with Flying Fish and Bluezoo.

SBETigg
04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I've been to most of the Signature Dining places and Yachtsman's Grill was one of the most disappointing. The atmosphere was light, bright, nothing special and the food did not live up to expectation for a quality steakhouse (to me). They made several ingredient substitutions that let us down. Our server was a nightmare. Of course, other people love it, so that's just a matter of trusting your own instincts and different individual experiences. If you have picky eaters who just want a good steak, it is a safe bet. Shula's at the Dolphin is far better than Yachtsman, but also pricier.

Though, you can find a good steak at all of the Signatures but you don't have a selection of cuts, as you do at steakhouses. It's usually filet mignon. California Grill is my favorite of the Signatures for the atmosphere, great views, and lots of good menu choices ranging from adventurous to tame. You can ask them to do the basics if the something on the menu seems too elaborate and they will tone it down (they're good about this at all or most of the Signature dining venues- special orders are accepted).

Jiko is also very good, though you will probably find a more diverse flavor palate running through most every dish on the menu and it's probably not the best choice for picky eaters.

VacationDisney
04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
We really love Jiko. It got my vote. It is a wonderfully relaxing meal and the food was awesome:thumbsup:

BhamWriter
04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
I've dined twice at Jiko; both good experiences, but not exceptional. My last trip to CG (January 2014) was outstanding. We opted for a sushi appetizer, which was the best sushi I've ever had. The entrees were also excellent.