PDA

View Full Version : First stay at Grand Floridian any tips?

BadBoyBill
04-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I was lucky enough to get an amazing deal at GF and was wondering if anyone has any tips about the resort. I have read reviews on several sites but was looking for some tips or things you have discovered at the GF. Thanks.

Simbajr4ever
04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Be sure to spend some time in the main lobby! The band plays in the evenings. During the day you will likely see a bride and her party.
It is a great relaxing area.

Our personal fav. is the tea. I think the tea room might be under some construction and moving temporarily? But, it is a very sweet relaxing lunch.

Order room service. Sis wanted just a plain pb&j {not on menu} I asked the room service phone person and quote> "this is the Grand Floridian you can have whatever you want!"

Have a great time :mickey:

Bruegge
04-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Going in June for the first time... be sure to check out the restaurants... they are great..We always have had at least one dinner there but never stayed. (always saying ... next time we'll stay here....)

Also if you are at Magic kingdom take the boat back to the hotel .. it's one short stop and nice and relaxing after a day at the park. Last time we were there we had dinner reservations at Narcoosee's and just got off the boat and we were there... One of my fondest Disney memories.

LVT
04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Try for a boat crossing during Electric light parade. We caught the boat from MK to GF and then right back. We saw the parade circling the lagoon while we crossed. :)

KarenP
04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Try Grand Floridian Cafe. I think it is one of the most underrated restaurants. I especially love it for breakfast. They have the best eggs benedict!

BhamWriter
04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree that Grand Floridian Café is under-appreciated. Breakfast is outstanding (although my wife ordered an egg white frittata that wasn't very good). Consider the Lobster Eggs Benedict.

I've heard from family members that the Afternoon Tea is fun, but I haven't tried it.

For an amazing experience, try Victoria and Albert's. It's expensive, but something you'll always remember.

SBETigg
04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
What others have said, enjoy the shops and restaurants and just spending some time in the lobby area. It's a great place to sit and people watch, soak up the atmosphere, listen to the piano or the band. Mizner's Lounge is also a great place for a drink and a snack. You can also pop into Narcoossee's just for a drink if you don't have dinner plans there.

The courtyard pool is my favorite, even over the fancier pool with the waterfall and zero entry. You can even see some fireworks from the pool if you happen to be in there when the MK is having them (though now that they are stricter on pool hours, this might be harder to manage).

The marina, at one of the tables outside Gasparilla Grill, is a great place to watch the fireworks, but you want to catch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach or boat dock area. The quick service venue is open 24 hours, and a great place to stop in to pick up late night premade snacks (the grill closes at 10 or 11).

The Electric Water Pageant comes out and docks near the GF, right across the lagoon in the hollow under the monorail near the MK (visible across from Sugar Loaf/Conch Key). You might enjoy watching it come and go if you're walking the grounds at night.

Monorail to the MK, boat back. You could boat both ways, but the boat heads to the Polynesian before heading back to the MK.

The bus stop is one of the most pleasant on property, in my opinion. Bright, with plenty of bench seating. The downside is that you share buses with other resorts and are usually the last pick-up/drop-off. You might not always get a seat.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Welcome to Intercot:welcome: I agree with everything that's been suggested so far, just wanted to add this resort is #1 on my bucket/dream list:envy:

epceddie
04-22-2014, 09:27 PM
We hae spent many enjoyable afternoons at the GF lobby sitting in the comfortable chairs and listening to the piano player. He's very personable and loves to play requests. His repertoire of songs is endless and he plays every one with class. He really puts his heart into the music.

hauntedmansiongirl
04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I second Narcossee's (amazing lobster) and The Grand Floridian Cafe (chocolate & fruit fondue!).

How did your get your good deal? We've always wanted to go deluxe but have had bad luck finding a good deal!!! :mickey:

BadBoyBill
04-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I got my rate from going with a Group/Convention. I do know that you can stack Orbitz Promo discounts on to of any Disney sale rates if you book through Orbitz. They frequently offer 15% and sometimes more if you subscribe to their offer emails.

Pirate Granny
04-24-2014, 07:01 AM
We were lucky enough to be on the boat going to MK that stopped at the Poly first and then we got stopped for the nightly water parade. Wonderful...front row seats! :party::cloud9: