PDA

View Full Version : Sick today.... Need to vent about work

Tiggerlovr9000
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Called in sick to work. Supervisor said you have to come in or get doctors note..if you hAve a cold the doctor won't give you anything but a note. So you get out of bed with your 100 plus fever and go to doctor, pay a hundred dollars for visit because our new insurance hasn't kicked in yet to have the doctor say it has to run its course and stop at work to give them the note to save your :minimum wage job. I work with food and if I were the customer I would want me to stay home til I can't share my cold with them. I understand someone has to wait on the customer but people get sick and to be such jerks about it makes me mad. If I called in sick a lot I maybe could understand it. Thanks for letting me vent...

SBETigg
04-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Tracey, wow, that is so insensitive of your supervisor! Also short-sighted. A sick person coming to work makes everyone else sick and productivity is lost. What a terrible attitude for an employer to have. Especially if you work with food. I'm sharing your indignation.

faline
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear that. Typically, supervisors and managers know you've been ill because you are still suffering from some of the effects when you return to work. Additionally, if you are not someone who appears to be abusing sick time, one would hope that their is some trust in the supervisor/supervisee relationship. And, you're right - I'd rather someone stay home and not "share" their illness with others!!

MNNHFLTX
04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Wow, Tracey, that is totally extreme. And from a healthcare standpoint, pretty stupid. It's not in anyone's interest for a sick employee to feel compelled to come into work because the alternative is having to get a doctor's note; the only thing that is going to do is lead to more sick employees and, yes, potentially sick customers. Not to mention the unnecessary money spent on a bill from the doctor's office, or claim submitted to the insurance company. You have my sympathy.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the validation that I had a point. You are all awesome..

kakn7294
04-14-2014, 07:18 PM
There's a lot of this need for doctor's excuses now where I work because of the abuses of a few. Sorry you had to go through this! I hope you feel better quick!

1DisneyNut
04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I would have went to work and puked all over the place after he told me that just to make a point but that is just me. :thedolls:

Tiggerlovr9000
04-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I would have went to work and puked all over the place after he told me that just to make a point but that is just me. :thedolls:

lol, gross but funny. Thanks for the laugh.

vicster
04-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Feel better and find a new job! I certainly wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

tinkwest
04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
When I was a manager in food service we encouraged people to stay home if they were sick. Now if it stretched out in to a week, sure we might ask for a doctor's note. Not so much to prove the employee was really sick but to make sure they were on the road to recovery and that a doctor felt they were well enough to return to work. Personal habits and absenteeisms were also considered in each situation.

princessgirls
04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
It's not what it used to be out there....that's for sure.
We don't get "sick time" at my job. You have to use the time from your vacation time bank. If you are out with an illness or long term absence, then with all of the proper paperwork can use a restricted time bank.

Basically it means, I come to work!:thedolls:
Julie:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-16-2014, 02:55 PM
That does stink. We only require if its an extended absence or someone who has abused the system.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-16-2014, 08:55 PM
That does stink. We only require if its an extended absence or someone who has abused the system.

The handbook they gave me during training said after a couple of days. I got a new job today and quit the other one. Thanks for all the replies..

Dopey's Girl
04-16-2014, 09:43 PM
As someone who eats out way more than she should, I thank you for not going to work. Seems kind of silly to expect a sick person to handle food.

Good luck with the new job!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I handle HR for the company I work for. We require a doctor's note releasing you to work if you miss 3 or more days. That is clearly stated in the employee handbook. We will also require a doctor's note if it's someone who calls in sick all the time because we are pretty sure they are abusing the system. I also work for a food service company so that's why we require the release to work. We also are supposed to encourage someone to stay home if they have something that can be spread. I'm not sure our managers actually abide by that because it might inconvenience them.....
Also, if they required a note from you and not from someone else, I'm pretty sure that's a form of discrimination. The policy should be uniformly enforced.