PDA

View Full Version : Online check-in pros and cons

iheartdisney
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Of the 20+ times we've stayed on property we've never utilized online check-in. Part of the reason is because I just can't imagine checking in and not chatting with the first CM of our trip.

Can you please share with me the pros and cons of using online check-in? Is it truly faster? If you arrive much earlier than 3pm, is there a good or better chance your room will be ready? What about room upgrades? Has anyone experienced this? (It's only happened to us a couple of times.)

I appreciate any tips and advice you can give!

yankeesfan123
04-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Here is a totally unhelpful answer:

In my experience, it helps if there is a line for check in.

Sometimes, the line for online check in can be longer than the wait for the regular check in.

Granted, the regular check in process itself takes a few minutes longer, but if there is no line at the regular check in, but there are 3 people waiting at the online check in line, then its a wash.

Nowadays, at some resorts, they have cast members with ipads/tablets who handle the online check in and make it a tad quicker I hear, but I have not experienced this myself.

Strmchsr
04-12-2014, 08:06 AM
The key advantage of online check-in is that the chance of your room being ready before 3 is much higher. In fact, every single time I've used online check-in my room has been ready at the time I request it. As mentioned above it's hit and miss as to whether you wait less time to get to the counter to get your packet, but at the counter time is shorter. You still go to the counter and talk to a CM. The difference is they don't have to input all of your information. The disadvantage is if you're extremely picky about your room location. In that case, don't do online check-in. Go through the regular line so you don't hold up everyone wanting to get through quickly.

retiredfigment
04-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Have done the online check in the last few times. First, you still get to talk to 'the first CM' you see, which I enjoy also. Is it faster? Depends. As mentioned can be longer than regular check in, depending how many questions the guests before you ask? Last trip we did a split stay. POP check in was excellent! The next morning, very early, we checked into WL, having previously completed online check in. Cast member said she was 'upgrading' our room. I said thank you and off we went to the parks. Arriving back at around 9, found that I did not consider the upgrade an upgrade. Second floor overlooking pool, was actually ground level, handicapped accessible room. I did ask for room change and got it.

Susan A
04-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Interesting. I used online check for the first time in October and our room was ready. I was pleasantly surprised! We arrived at the WL around 1:00. The resort was full. I can't remember when I didn't have to wait for our room.

You still talk to a cast member upon arrival. You have to pick up "keys", activate bands, receive map, etc.
:mickey:

Lizzie
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
If you do online check in is it hard to ask for room requests.

brownie
04-16-2014, 07:22 PM
If you do online check in is it hard to ask for room requests.

Just have everything noted on your reservation when you make it.

Bruegge
04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
What about an upgrade? If you do online check-in what are the chances you will get a "bump" up to a nicer room?

I always thought that you had to ask (nicely and politely) for any available free upgrades at your check-in

brownie
04-18-2014, 03:17 PM
What about an upgrade? If you do online check-in what are the chances you will get a "bump" up to a nicer room?

I always thought that you had to ask (nicely and politely) for any available free upgrades at your check-in

If you ask you're probably going to be paying for it.

Strmchsr
04-18-2014, 03:43 PM
If you ask you're probably going to be paying for it.

:ditto: They don't give upgrades if you ask. Really the only time they do free upgrades is if they're overbooked and they have to move someone to a different type room. Every now and then they'll do it as part of their magical moments plan, but those are rare. So online check-in won't change the chances of any of that happening.