PDA

View Full Version : Disney Offers Park Hopper FP's and More Than 3 Per Day - Starting 4/28

mickclub1955
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
From the Park Blogs!!!!

When we first shared a glimpse into our plans to take the Disney guest experience to the next level, we had just begun to unveil MyMagic+ at the Walt Disney World Resort. Our goal from the beginning has been to enhance the guest experience and make it even more immersive, seamless and personal than ever before.
Now, nearly 3.5 million guests have participated in testing, and the vast majority are telling us that MyMagic+ has made their trip even better. This is a big step forward in the evolution of our guest experience, and what we’re seeing in early returns is fantastic.

Guests are telling us that they really like being able to arrange the day the way they want to, with the flexibility to make changes on the go. They also are particularly excited about their experience with the MagicBand. They love the convenience, and we have received a lot of photos from guests showing the fun ways they are wearing them even before they arrive on property or after they return home.

This week marks an exciting milestone for us in that we are now providing guests who might only be visiting for the day with the ability to fully engage in MyMagic+ before their visit. Guests can register on My Disney Experience online, reserve access to some of their favorite experiences with FastPass+ and also purchase MagicBands on-site, if they choose.

FastPass+ has been a crucial part of our testing, and we knew it would be popular, which is why from the beginning we more than doubled the experiences people could reserve in advance. We enabled FastPass+ access for a number of attractions and included other guest favorites like fireworks, parades and character meet-and-greets for the first time.

As expected, most of our guests think that securing times to ride our attractions is one of the best ways to maximize the fun of a Walt Disney World Resort vacation. We’ve heard from a number of guests that they would like the opportunity to add additional FastPass+ entitlements during their visit, in addition to the three they can plan in advance. So, we’re working on providing them with the ability to add and enjoy additional entitlements on the day of their visit. Once they’ve used the three they’ve booked, we’ll enable them to select another at kiosks in the parks. And once they’ve used the fourth, they can select another, and so on. We also heard that other guests liked the fact that with the FastPass+ service they could use FASTPASS when they park hopped. So we’re working on a service enhancement to add that feature to FastPass+ as well.

One of the best aspects of MyMagic+ has always been that our guests can relax and better enjoy their time with us, all the while knowing that the attraction they want to ride, or the moment they want to experience, will be there, waiting for them.

And isn’t that what a vacation is all about? The more we can have everyone that goes to our parks feel like a VIP, the happier we’ll be with the experience we’re giving them. And that’s exactly what we’re striving for with MyMagic+.

We’ll continue to share more details and updates on as we continue our roll-out, so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more!

joonyer
04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
"Once they’ve used the three they’ve booked, we’ll enable them to select another at kiosks in the parks. And once they’ve used the fourth, they can select another, and so on. We also heard that other guests liked the fact that with the FastPass+ service they could use FASTPASS when they park hopped. So we’re working on a service enhancement to add that feature to FastPass+ as well."

Glad to hear this is coming. But is sounds like this means you should make you first 3 FP+ advance ressies in the A.M., if you want ot be able to access more than 3 for the day. Otherwise it seems you'll be limited to accessing a 4th or subsequent FP+ late in the day or evening.

PirateLover
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
It sounds like a step in the right direction, but it's still vague. At least the are recognizing the issue and attempting to address it.

Butters
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
I may be reading too deep into this bit I see this as turning into everyone starts with 3 and if you pay $X you get some more or if you stay at deluxe resorts you get some more.

Melanie
04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Great news!

I don't read into it that it will be a pay service, but who knows. I just like to think that they are listening and implementing as quickly as they can. I'm FINALLY feeling a bit positive about all this. The more than 3 a day and the park hopping feature were the 2 things missing.

rjmdds
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Glad to hear this is coming. But is sounds like this means you should make you first 3 FP+ advance ressies in the A.M., if you want ot be able to access more than 3 for the day. Otherwise it seems you'll be limited to accessing a 4th or subsequent FP+ late in the day or evening.

I agree.

mermaidmarian
04-02-2014, 01:23 PM
The exclusion of the FP from Park Hopping would be a major issue for us in the future - as we learned about it during a recent short 3 day visit prior to a Disney Cruise in February. I DO understand the logistical challenges for WDW, but I think this suggestion that you have to clear 3 before you can move on is a step in the right direction.

Dopey's Girl
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Finally, something about this 'service' that sounds positive. The park hopping thing always bothered me...

I'll keep a will see attitude for now!

birdsell
04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
We have fastpasses for the afternoon at the end of May. Should I change them in anticipation of this or should I wait until it is official?

#1donaldfan
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Good to see they're thinking ahead and listening. I suppose their "overall" great feedback is not so "great", otherwise why change what they see as working?? Either way, i'ts certainly a step toward improvement !!:thumbsup:

gerald72
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
It's Nice that they are planning changes, but I have to stand in line for a fourth fast pass, just to avoid standing in a line?
As someone pointed out, this benefits those who use their fastpasses early, not those who strategically use their FP+ during the later, busier hours. I get the feeling people will want 4 fastpasses just to have 4 fastpasses, rather than use 3 of them intelligently.

Aurora
04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Sounds good to me -- a combination of the old and new FP, and just the kind of flexibility that might work for our family.

I also didn't read it as a possible "pay to play more" arrangement, but the use of the word "entitlements" is interesting.

rjmdds
04-02-2014, 02:08 PM
It also specifically mentions receiving the extra FP at a kiosk vs. the app. Why not enable booking the other FP's via the app? That would be much more efficient and logical.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
See what happens when you complain??? Those long lines at GS were not for nothing, partially... :)

It also specifically mentions receiving the extra FP at a kiosk vs. the app. Why not enable booking the other FP's via the app? That would be much more efficient and logical.

Give it time... This is new... Going to need the testing to see how to effectively utilize the extra FPs for guests... Once those bugs are worked out, then I am sure they will move this to the app... Within a few years, I think those kiosks will be a thing of the past and everything done via the app...

princessgirls
04-02-2014, 03:30 PM
There is HOPE for this new system...

Julie:mickey:

RunDMV
04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Ill never get past the fact that my vacation will require as much long-term planning and schedule adherence as my job.

No matter who much they sugar coat it, im not interested.

Melanie
04-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Ill never get past the fact that my vacation will require as much long-term planning and schedule adherence as my job.

And there is still that, and I will continue to agree.

CanadianWDWFan
04-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I agree it does take too much time to make sure it is all done right. Spontaneity went out the door when you could start to book dining at 6 months out.

yankeesfan123
04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
This is probably the least shocking news about FP+ that has come out.

It's always been in testing. There's been changes for the better every month. This isn't surprising at all, but is good news.

Gator
04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
What about people who don't have smart phones. I'm glad the app is picking up tracion, but there's a lot of people who this won't work for because they use phones as just phones.

And here's the next thing to think about. With FP+ as is, I'd get my FPs for the afternoon because that's when it's busy. But now I'll need to get them in the morning so I can start collection FPs in the afternoon.

Also, here's a biggie. What if I can't pre-order a FP for Soarin' until 6pm because everyone else beat me to the good times? That means I can't take advantage of the extra FPs until the park is nearly closed. Big problem.

rjmdds
04-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Is it going to be worthwhile to secure 3 FPs for the morning JUST to have availability for the rest of the day? If you go to the parks at rope drop you don't need FPs until after lunch anyway. As someone else mentioned, I would rather have 3 strategic Fps than 4+ so-so FPs.

big blue and hairy
04-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Is it going to be worthwhile to secure 3 FPs for the morning JUST to have availability for the rest of the day? If you go to the parks at rope drop you don't need FPs until after lunch anyway. As someone else mentioned, I would rather have 3 strategic Fps than 4+ so-so FPs.

I don't know about that. There are certain rides, like TSM and Soarin', that if you don't run to, you will wait a good time. I am however, interested what other adjustments come. After all, this has been a test.

:sulley:

yankeesfan123
04-02-2014, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't start making all FP choices in the morning, relying on the fact that FP will be available in the afternoon...

It's likely that there won't be FP still available in the afternoon/evening for the more popular attractions when you try to book a new FP at 2pm (depending on the time of year and other variables of course).

Goofy4TheWorld
04-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Count me as someone who thinks that the "idea" that they should offer additional FP+ choices ONLY after you use your first three is ST-U-P-I-D.

Seriously, what on Earth would be their motivation to force people to squish all of their FP+ choices into the morning just to maximize their options. The best day I have ever had at EPCOT was a day that I didn't get there until after 3 or 4pm (I just don't like EPCOT early) and the only reason I could do that and still enjoy the E-ticket attractions was because of FP+.

The changes, as proposed, would be a big step backward for me. I tested in October 2013 and loved the system, but only because I had no tiering at EPCOT & DHS and could enjoy my morning by the seat of my pants and stick to using FP+ in the evening.

Every time they have Plussed FP+ since then, it just seems more and more bizarre.

DisneyGiant
04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Great news!

I don't read into it that it will be a pay service, but who knows. I just like to think that they are listening and implementing as quickly as they can. I'm FINALLY feeling a bit positive about all this. The more than 3 a day and the park hopping feature were the 2 things missing.

Same here.....

I was literally bummed out that I was kind of not looking forward to all of this in July.

I still have reservations on how the tour groups will fit into all this.......

yankeesfan123
04-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Count me as someone who thinks that the "idea" that they should offer additional FP+ choices ONLY after you use your first three is ST-U-P-I-D.

Seriously, what on Earth would be their motivation to force people to squish all of their FP+ choices into the morning just to maximize their options. The best day I have ever had at EPCOT was a day that I didn't get there until after 3 or 4pm (I just don't like EPCOT early) and the only reason I could do that and still enjoy the E-ticket attractions was because of FP+.

The changes, as proposed, would be a big step backward for me. I tested in October 2013 and loved the system, but only because I had no tiering at EPCOT & DHS and could enjoy my morning by the seat of my pants and stick to using FP+ in the evening.

Every time they have Plussed FP+ since then, it just seems more and more bizarre.

I think the idea is to make sure there are plenty of FP for everyone to enjoy before people start having seconds.

dnickels
04-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't think this is going to open up that much more 'opportunity' for additional fastpasses as some think.

So you get your first three FP+ windows, say you make them for 9-10 AM (which of course would pretty much be a waste anyway), 10-11 AM and then 11AM-12PM. Then you can finally go to get your 4th but by that time it's already noon. Do you really think you're going to be able to get any 'desirable' Fastpasses at noon? You might get one more decent one but it's going to be much later in the day (say Soarin' at 7 PM) and by the time that one is done and you could theoretically get a 5th, there'd be nothing left on any ride worth utilizing a FP.

The days of utilizing 6+ Fastpasses a day aren't coming back even with these tweaks unless you want to see Captain EO or Three Amigos over and over.

CaptSmee
04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
I like that they are listening to what guests are telling them & I hope they keep it free to resort guests. Day guests being able to purchase magic bands is the second baby step into chatging $$$ after the memory maker (which is ludicrous).

minnie04
04-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I agree it does take too much time to make sure it is all done right. Spontaneity went out the door when you could start to book dining at 6 months out.

I wasn't sure I liked it either, BUT when I got the hang of it ...MAN did it make our vacation better. I plan the FP+ for the time I know we are going to be in the park. Not early in the morning or too late at night. This way we are there anyway, so why not have access to the rides we like. Who cares what the time is..WE ARE THERE ANYWAY... as for the kiosk places. I had to change a time and couldn't get it on the app. The CM got me the time in about 2 minutes. So I don't see those lines being too long. They know their way around that Ipad app like no one else...lol

Aurora
04-03-2014, 03:16 PM
I don't think this is going to open up that much more 'opportunity' for additional fastpasses as some think.

So you get your first three FP+ windows, say you make them for 9-10 AM (which of course would pretty much be a waste anyway), 10-11 AM and then 11AM-12PM. Then you can finally go to get your 4th but by that time it's already noon. Do you really think you're going to be able to get any 'desirable' Fastpasses at noon? You might get one more decent one but it's going to be much later in the day (say Soarin' at 7 PM) and by the time that one is done and you could theoretically get a 5th, there'd be nothing left on any ride worth utilizing a FP.

The days of utilizing 6+ Fastpasses a day aren't coming back even with these tweaks unless you want to see Captain EO or Three Amigos over and over.

Actually, under the old system, if you were trying to get fast passes after noon, you were limited anyway and were likely to get Soarin' after 7, if at all. No, you won't get TSM, but you couldn't get them after noon under the old system anyway. I don't see how this is much different.

Whether people reserve their times in advance for later in the day (FP+), or show up the same morning to book up all the FP times until far later in the day (old FP), it's still the same number of people getting FPs.

Gator
04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I've got an idea. Trash the whole thing and go back to Legacy FP. You remember that one, right? The one where you could get more than 3 FPs without Disney's permission.

Tekneek
04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Still don't understand why park hopping was not built in from the start, but better late than never. That was the biggest point I stressed when letting them know what I thought of our test run. It is unfathomable to roll out a program that removes an option that was previously available (using fast pass in any park that you are currently in, regardless of whether you used fastpass in another park that day or not). They did it anyway, but at least they have recognized their failures and publicly announced their intention to fix it. I lost confidence in this ever happening as more time was passing by.

It is hard for me to imagine that, from a developer's point of view, it would not have been easier to build it in from the start than try to add it in later. I can only surmise that there were other issues that drove this decision (such as having to roll it out too fast to solve this problem first). If they foolishly believed that park hoppers would enjoy losing this capability, they had the wrong people driving this.

Regardless of the reason they've seen the light, this is good for all guests.

yankeesfan123
04-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I've got an idea. Trash the whole thing and go back to Legacy FP. You remember that one, right? The one where you could get more than 3 FPs without Disney's permission.

No thanks!

Guaranteed fast passes without having to sprint across a park at rope drop?

Yes please.

Everything else is now falling into place to make it even better.

RunDMV
04-03-2014, 07:44 PM
No thanks!

Guaranteed fast passes without having to sprint across a park at rope drop?

Yes please.

Everything else is now falling into place to make it even better.

True for just one ride in one park. Made perfect sense to scrap a good system to fix that.

steamboat willy
04-04-2014, 10:23 AM
:
Great news!

:ditto: Keep Tweeking Till You Get It.

Biggeek
04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
When I made my most recent reservation I got talking with the CM about the FP+ system and an interesting data point came up, which I think is the prime driver for this system as a whole... On the Legacy system each guest only collected an average of 1.3 FP's/day.
They wanted to expand that for the 'average' guest.. Which typically is just 1 or 2 trips in a lifetime. It's easy of us on the board that eat/drink/breathe Disney to forget that the vast majority of guests simply don't understand the complex machine that a Disney World vacation can be.

By nature and trade I am an extremely analytical, person that likes an 'overall plan' but also flexibility. (I always have a backup-backup plan..just in case things go wrong, because they always do.)

We have been going to Disney World annually for almost 20 years so have seen a lot of changes, good, bad and indifferent.

I was an extreme skeptic and critic of the new FP+ system. We were masters of the Legacy FP plus system (never exploiting it, but certainly took full advantage and with skill and years of practice commonly would end up using 8 or more FP in a single day.)

After much analysis and first hand experience of the Magic Band / FP+ program (2 trips complete and our 3rd next month), and now with this new pending upgrade I have concluded we have already had this system before, with an enhancements...

What this really functions like is the 6 month (or so) period of the Legacy Fast Pass system after the FP 'End Time' was enforced.

The similarities between the old and new system (once new park hopper/FP add is in place):
1. You can have 1 'active' fast pass in hand at a time.
2. You can get an unlimited number of FP's per day.
3. You can get them at multiple parks in a single day.
4. If you try to pick up a FP later in the day, many 'prime' attractions will be unavailable
5. You have an hour window to use you FP - you don't have to be there the second it starts.
6. If an attraction is down during your window, you can use it later (For FP+ talk to a CM to fix, for now)

Improvements:
1. Guaranteed 3 attractions per day, no matter when you arrive at park.
2. Don't have to 'run all over park' to get your FP's.

My view of the negative:
1. Trip loses some 'spontaneity' and feels like work to plan at times.
- Some will always hate having to plan out portions of a vacation (or anything) but others thrive on it and have already been doing it for years.. but this is really like a Red Sox/Yankees or Bears/Packers or Mac/PC argument, neither is more correct, just different.. But Several things mitigate this:
a) Nobody forces you to choose FP+ early, you can do it that day - yes you run the risk of not getting a an attraction you want, but that risk is just like the Legacy FP system. (only one time on one day for one ride was I not able to get a 'same day' FP+ early that morning - Midway Madness)
b) Planned implementation of Park Hopper into the FP+ selection, so not locked to single Park.
c) Ability to add 'extra' after initial 3 are used requires flexibility and spontaneity.

2. You can only get a new fast pass once your current one 'expires' - FP's cannot overlap.
- In the old system allowed you to get a new FP 5 mins after the original one Started. If the original FP was more than a 2 hour wait until start, you could get also get a new FP 2 hr later, effectively giving you 2 'active' fast passes that neither had yet reached the Start time.

This got far more long winded than I planned, but if you remove the 'passion' from the equation and look at it from a purely analytical perspective we truly are getting an improved system, with some pros/cons for some people.. but it is impossible to make all the people happy all the time..

Park Hopper
04-09-2014, 03:11 PM
The similarities between the old and new system (once new park hopper/FP add is in place):
1. You can have 1 'active' fast pass in hand at a time.
2. You can get an unlimited number of FP's per day.
3. You can get them at multiple parks in a single day.
4. If you try to pick up a FP later in the day, many 'prime' attractions will be unavailable
5. You have an hour window to use you FP - you don't have to be there the second it starts.
6. If an attraction is down during your window, you can use it later (For FP+ talk to a CM to fix, for now).

You actually make some great points and have swayed some of my negativity of the new system. We go every year and have experienced both systems, and you are right about some of the similarities. However, a major point of contention for me is that you are forced to use the 3 FP+ first before you can get the next. This would not be an issue if you could duplicate rides or select 3 major attractions, but you cannot.

If you go in January, as we do, then you are forced to have the FP+ for rides which you do not need. Yet, you will now have to wait until the Nemo or whatever minor ride time period is up. Because the times cannot overlap, it will typically be past noon until you can get another meaningful FP+. By that time, they may be all out. Previously, you could get a FP right away for a major attraction in the morning, and then immediately get another for a major attraction after using it, while it was still early in the day. There were no advanced reservations, so you had a great chance of getting multiple FPs for major attractions throughout the day.

The forced necessity of 3 FP+, the restrictions on those 3 (only 1 major attraction, cannot duplicate, etc..), and the associated 3 hours (at least) required to use all your FP+ before you can get another major attraction FP+, are major flaws of the system - especially if you go at a time when many/most of the non-major FP+ rides have less than a 10 min. wait (if at all). Even if you try to schedule it so all of your FP+ are early, you will have a far lower chance of being able to get another one or two major ride passes in, as many will have scheduled the major rides in the afternoon.

I will be interested to see how many people can effectively get FP+ passes for the major attractions after they have used their allotted 3. Personally, I would rather them limit you to only 1 scheduled FP+, if they are going to go with this system.

-Dan

Biggeek
04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I agree another issue is the 1 'premium' and 2 'other' FP+ at Epcot and DHS.. but I think this has much less to do with the new system, but rather it is a work around for an issue with both parts..

Remember that limit was put in first of November (while we were mid trip at Epcot) and they def had issues with those park.

Simply, they don't have enough attractions people want to ride. So everyone was FP+ the exact same ones.

The first of the week when it was open FP+ at Epcot, the FP return lines were almost the same as standby at Soarin and Test track (we waited almost 50 minutes in FP return at Soarin and 40 at Test track to use our FP+)
Everything else was walk on with no wait.

When they limited it to 1 option later in the week, the wait dropped to the normal 5-10 mins. And there were short lines at several of the other attractions.

With DHS, I suspect the same was occurring, having just Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror and Midway Madness selected by most (but likely wasn't quite as glaring of an issue, as there are a few more things to do there that FP is useful for.)

So, as I said I suspect the issue isn't directly related to FP+ there, but highlighted a larger issue with the parks, so this was put in place to mitigate a bit..

Terra
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree that a main drawback would be that you would have to get your advance FP reservations in the AM so you have time to get the others before they are out.

For example at EPCOT. If you don't have a fast pass for Soarin by 11am, you are out of luck.

I'm not sure if this will help or not. We will see.

I must say, FINALLY after using the new FP as an AP.
I was disappointed that you MUST come within that window. At least with the paper FP you could come anytime after the first time return and they would let your through.

I myself got help up at Guest relations so I missed my Soarin' time and I was told I can get another FP, but they were out that day. Kind of stinks.

mrte62
04-11-2014, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Biggeek;2409466]I agree another issue is the 1 'premium' and 2 'other' FP+ at Epcot and DHS.. but I think this has much less to do with the new system, but rather it is a work around for an issue with both parts..

Remember that limit was put in first of November (while we were mid trip at Epcot) and they def had issues with those park.

Simply, they don't have enough attractions people want to ride. So everyone was FP+ the exact same ones.....

.... and that may be what this change to FP+ has really exposed ... the lack of "E Ticket" attractions ....

Wells
04-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I suspect that at least part of the reason for the fourth fastpass is a result of Disneys return data for this program so far. As has been pointed out, most people are making afternoon fastpass reservations to avoid long lines during the busiest time of the day. This is a sound strategy to be sure, however it probably results on limited availability of afternoon times for those with day passes. this change should result in a more even distribution of fastpasses throughout the day and (hopefully) provide greater opportunity for better fourth pass times.
Has anyone heard about which tier level the fourth pass will be?

Dsnygirl
04-20-2014, 11:48 PM
I personally think this is great, and I can't see why so many think it will be a problem. The article states you will be able to get a 4th FP after you use your 1st 3... and then another... and then another... so it's not just 4 FPs... it's as many as you choose to use.

Yes, you will be limited by what is still available... but that has ALWAYS been the case. TSM was a no-go noon... RnRC by 2 or 3... Space Mtn the same... so the big "E-ticket" rides I don't see being any more or less available than they have ever been.

I personally was VERY unhappy with only being able to pick 3 FPs... what the heck was I going to do the rest of the day, just wait in lines?? And I don't think scheduling your FPs in the morning is a waste... now at least I won't be killing myself to get to the parks for rope drop after a late night and chasing FPs all morning... instead, I can schedule my 1st ride for 10'ish, ride something before or after... go do my 2nd ride 11'ish... ride something else... I'm on my 3rd ride by noon and off for a 4th FP immediately after.

This seems an easy and non-stressful way to have the best of both worlds... I can be sure I'll get my favorites, I can choose to ride them again later if I want to wait or go stand-by, and I can fit everything else in around them b/c hopefully this system will shorten the wait-lines.

Maybe I'm a little too "rose-colored glasses" about this, but I started out VERY negative about the whole idea, and now I'm actually encouraged. We'll be testing it in August a bit, so we'll see!

joonyer
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
It's definitely a positive change. It's just not as ideal for those of us who used to utilize the old FP system to its maximum advantage and be able to get another FP before your current one was used. But, the times they are a changing, and we're not going back, so I will adapt and still enjoy the WDW experience.

Dsnygirl
04-21-2014, 04:29 PM
It's definitely a positive change. It's just not as ideal for those of us who used to utilize the old FP system to its maximum advantage and be able to get another FP before your current one was used. But, the times they are a changing, and we're not going back, so I will adapt and still enjoy the WDW experience.

I couldn't agree more... we were one of those folk who knew just how to have a "runner" and we didn't mind separating on occasion to go get in line while another got the next set of FPs... we used them how they were allowed to be used, and rarely missed out on a thing. Here's to hoping we'll all feel that this works similarly in the end, or hopefully better! :thumbsup:

azcavalier
04-24-2014, 09:07 AM
I couldn't agree more... we were one of those folk who knew just how to have a "runner" and we didn't mind separating on occasion to go get in line while another got the next set of FPs... we used them how they were allowed to be used, and rarely missed out on a thing. Here's to hoping we'll all feel that this works similarly in the end, or hopefully better! :thumbsup:

Ditto. We had that system *down*. Which caused my wife to ask this question the other day. Is there a thread on Intercot that discusses the best FP+ strategy? We're thinking about the whole "hit one park in the morning and do those rides early, and use the FP+ system for the headliners in another park for later in the day". So, we'll do MK first, have lunch, and then hit Epcot in the evening and still be able to ride Test Track or Soarin'. We couldn't do that before, because usually the FPs would be gone for Soarin' by the time we got to the park.

Melanie
04-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Is there a thread on Intercot that discusses the best FP+ strategy?

Let's get one started over in the Theme Parks forum! :thumbsup:

yankeesfan123
04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Actually, not to start an argument, but using a runner who will later join you in line is actually considered "cutting" by many (I understand you did not state your runner re-joined you in line, but that was often the case)..

I know this has been debated many times in the past, but it's nice that FP+ is eliminating this bone of contention.

Crow
04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
I have some old paper ones if someone wants them...
used to like to be able to use them after the hour elapsed
I didn't like only 3 FP on my last trip. and for only one park. so hopefully this is a change for the better..

Melanie
04-25-2014, 07:48 AM
It's OFFICIAL!

Today we are excited to share that starting on Monday, April 28, 2014, all Walt Disney World® Resort Guests will be able to make additional FastPass+ selections at in-park kiosks after they have redeemed their original (up to three) selections.

•Guests will be able to make one additional selection at a time, based on availability. After they redeem that additional selection, they can go to a FastPass+ kiosk to make another selection, and so on. (The additional FastPass+ selections must be made at a kiosk only.)

•Guests will be able to make their additional selection(s) for an experience at which they already redeemed a FastPass+ selection earlier that day.

•Guests with valid park-hopping privileges will be able to make their additional selection(s) at another park. Those selections must be made at a kiosk in the park where the desired experience is located.

Butters
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
The only flaw I'm seeing is if you have a late FP in your initial 3.... (i.e. a fireworks FP or only able to reserve a late TSM time). Since you will never use your initial 3 up until end of the day it'll lock you into 3

BrerGnat
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
So, this is just for onsite guests?

Melanie
04-25-2014, 09:18 AM
The only flaw I'm seeing is if you have a late FP in your initial 3.... (i.e. a fireworks FP or only able to reserve a late TSM time). Since you will never use your initial 3 up until end of the day it'll lock you into 3

Hmmm. Good point. I would think they'd have to exclude the nighttime shows somehow. :shrug:

So, this is just for onsite guests?

No, it's for everyone.

BrerGnat
04-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Oh, I misinterpreted "Walt Disney World Resort Guests." I read that and focused on the word "resort". Why not say " Walt Disney World Theme Park Guests?"

FortheloveofStitch
04-25-2014, 06:27 PM
I would want to make sure I could get a FP at another park before I hopped. Should be able to access FP at any park from any park. Seriously have to consider value of park hopper tickets.

yankeesfan123
04-25-2014, 08:27 PM
No offense, but that's sort of silly.

Were you ever guaranteed a FP when you park hopped in the past?

If you spent the morning at Epcot, and wanted to hop over to HS at 2:00, there was little to no chance you'd be able to get a FP for TSM or RnRR (and if you did, it would be 10pm).

It would be nice to have a pre-booked FP at a second park, but I don't think the fact that you can't do so makes the value of a park hopper any less.

It's the same way it was before.

Cinderelley
04-26-2014, 05:39 AM
That isn't really silly. It was possible to hop over there and get fast passes.

All these comparisons going on are all from one person's view point. You have to accept that everyone is different.

For me, I don't like the loss of spontaneity. I work nights. I have for 20 + years. I can't just automatically flip the switch and wake up at 8 am while I'm on vacation. Yes, I can guess about what time I will wake up and get to the parks, but what about my family who does wake up early? Do they have to just stand in long standby lines until I get up? What if I happen to wake up earlier and we all go to the park together or we change our minds and leave early? We used to give our paper fastpasses to a family that was coming in while we were leaving if we had any that we wouldn't be around for. If we don't get seated for our dinner reservation on time, I don't want to have to choose between a relaxing dinner and making our fast pass time.
I also don't want to waste time standing at a fastpass kiosk line or messing with an "app" for my phone. I go on vacation to get away from work, not to create new work.

The old system worked great for us. However many people were there could go, pop their tickets in and get their fastpasses. I have a physical disability, so I can't ride a lot of the E-ticket rides. While they were in line, I could go get the next fastpass. Things went smoother and I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for them. If we were going to park hop, I could head over to the other park early and get those fastpasses too (that is how I know you could still get them and a "10 pm" return time wasn't a bad thing to me). If we wanted to split up and visit different parks, that was feasible too.

Now if we want to efficently use fastpass +, I will have to schedule our 3 fastpasses for later in the day, effectively blocking the rest of the family from being able to use fastpass before I wake up, just hope that there are enough fastpasses left for our whole group to ride together, or wait in the standby line which will take it's toll on me physically due to my disability and I'll head back to the hotel room after a few hours.

yankeesfan123
04-26-2014, 08:41 AM
That isn't really silly. It was possible to hop over there and get fast passes.

All these comparisons going on are all from one person's view point. You have to accept that everyone is different.

For me, I don't like the loss of spontaneity. I work nights. I have for 20 + years. I can't just automatically flip the switch and wake up at 8 am while I'm on vacation. Yes, I can guess about what time I will wake up and get to the parks, but what about my family who does wake up early? Do they have to just stand in long standby lines until I get up? What if I happen to wake up earlier and we all go to the park together or we change our minds and leave early? We used to give our paper fastpasses to a family that was coming in while we were leaving if we had any that we wouldn't be around for. If we don't get seated for our dinner reservation on time, I don't want to have to choose between a relaxing dinner and making our fast pass time.
I also don't want to waste time standing at a fastpass kiosk line or messing with an "app" for my phone. I go on vacation to get away from work, not to create new work.

The old system worked great for us. However many people were there could go, pop their tickets in and get their fastpasses. I have a physical disability, so I can't ride a lot of the E-ticket rides. While they were in line, I could go get the next fastpass. Things went smoother and I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for them. If we were going to park hop, I could head over to the other park early and get those fastpasses too (that is how I know you could still get them and a "10 pm" return time wasn't a bad thing to me). If we wanted to split up and visit different parks, that was feasible too.

Now if we want to efficently use fastpass +, I will have to schedule our 3 fastpasses for later in the day, effectively blocking the rest of the family from being able to use fastpass before I wake up, just hope that there are enough fastpasses left for our whole group to ride together, or wait in the standby line which will take it's toll on me physically due to my disability and I'll head back to the hotel room after a few hours.

The only part I was saying was silly was the implication that the value of a park hopper has diminished because you can't pre-book a FP for a second park.

You couldn't do it before, and you can't do it now...

And yes, it is still possible now, as it was before, to still get a valuable FP at a second park.

I'm sorry about your personal disability that makes this system difficult for you.

rjmdds
04-26-2014, 10:34 AM
For those that have used the in-park kiosks, I have a question. Are the kiosks specific to that park in terms of what you could book? Say I hit the MK in the morning and plan on hopping to Epcot later in the day after a rest. I use my MK FP's and want to book my evening FP's for Epcot WHILE I'm in the MK at the kiosk. Since I can't book the new extra Fp's through MDE, I was wondering if I had access to other park FP's at the kiosks.

I am just trying to figure out how to best utilize this new modification as it relates to park hopping. Right now, I'm thinking for people at the parks at rope drop, it may still be best to do a lot at park opening and then have all FP's reserved for the hopped park.

yankeesfan123
04-26-2014, 10:45 AM
A couple of interesting quotes from Tom Staggs:

"Yes, for now, guests will need to use the kiosks in the park to reserve FastPass+ entitlements beyond their first three, although their additional FastPass+ entitlements will show up in their plans within the My Disney Experience app and they will be able to modify them there. We’re evaluating the possibility of enabling guests to select additional FastPass+ entitlements within My Disney Experience down the road."

"Once you’ve used your first three FastPass+ experiences (or the arrival windows for your selections have passed) you can select a fourth from any available FastPass+ experience." (It says "any" available FP+ experience).

Also, from previous trip reports and guides on the internet I have read, you can make FP choices for any park at a kiosk. From an unofficial Disney blog: "By the way, you can book the FastPasses from any of the parks. So if you are a park hopping day guest, we’d recommend you book the FastPasses in the first park for the second park. " (I have not done so myself).

Remember, still in testing!

rjmdds
04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks yankeesfan123. That is good news.

TheHD
04-26-2014, 03:17 PM
A little bit off-topic, but what is happening to all of the old FP ticket dispensers? Are they just covered over as when they were finished dispensing or did they gut them out? If they have them all covered, then it's pretty unsightly, but I'm sure they'll make a more permanent fix eventually.

DizneyFreak2002
04-26-2014, 03:35 PM
A little bit off-topic, but what is happening to all of the old FP ticket dispensers? Are they just covered over as when they were finished dispensing or did they gut them out? If they have them all covered, then it's pretty unsightly, but I'm sure they'll make a more permanent fix eventually.
They have been removed...

yankeesfan123
04-26-2014, 03:35 PM

You mean what "happen[ed]"?

Adios. Bye bye. Maybe they'll pop up on eBay one day.

FortheloveofStitch
04-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Understand your point about silly, I wasn't clear on my thought. I was thinking of situations that we have gotten 1 or 2 FP in a park and spent have a day there. We then could hop to a different park and get new FP in middle of day while they were still avail. Under the current system I must use 3 FP before I can do anything else at any park. Based on a recent trip in November 3 out of 5 days the third FP was after 6pm.

Hope they continue to improve the system, overall it seems to be headed in the right direction.

yankeesfan123
04-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Understand your point about silly, I wasn't clear on my thought. I was thinking of situations that we have gotten 1 or 2 FP in a park and spent have a day there. We then could hop to a different park and get new FP in middle of day while they were still avail. Under the current system I must use 3 FP before I can do anything else at any park. Based on a recent trip in November 3 out of 5 days the third FP was after 6pm.

Hope they continue to improve the system, overall it seems to be headed in the right direction.

Well, you don't need to "use" 3 FP!

Just make one for like 9 am that you know you won't use and let it expire.

Stupid? Yes.

Easy work around? Yup

Dsnygirl
04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Based on a recent trip in November 3 out of 5 days the third FP was after 6pm.

Was that under the "old system"? We've used FP for years, and usually have done 4 or 5 rides by 3 or 4 pm, with the exception of EVER getting on Peter Pan during that time period... so crazy that that one ride seems impossible!! ;) ;)

With the new system, I don't see it being a problem booking your first three FP's by noon and then being able to keep getting more... maybe it's just me, but I feel like this system is giving us even more availability to get on our favorites than before, because I can arrive at a park knowing I have 3 rides "in hand" and once they're done, the spontanaeity is back and we can get more as we choose, for whatever is available, just like the "old days".

We'll see... we'll be testing it in August, including the "hopping" option... :fingers:

Cinderelley
04-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry about your personal disability that makes this system difficult for you.

Thanks. It isn't too bad though. I'm alive and able to go. My kids are healthy and able to go with me.:D Unfortunately, that's more than a lot of people can say. :(

I was just pointing out that it is hard to "quantify" the impact each system has, because everyone's circumstances, preferences, etc are different.

RunDMV
04-27-2014, 07:38 AM
The only part I was saying was silly was the implication that the value of a park hopper has diminished because you can't pre-book a FP for a second park.

You couldn't do it before, and you can't do it now...

And yes, it is still possible now, as it was before, to still get a valuable FP at a second park.

The sillyness is the sycophantic support of an obvious flawed, disliked, and too expeninsive of a system.

AgentC
04-27-2014, 08:02 AM
With the new system, I don't see it being a problem booking your first three FP's by noon and then being able to keep getting more... maybe it's just me, but I feel like this system is giving us even more availability to get on our favorites than before, because I can arrive at a park knowing I have 3 rides "in hand" and once they're done, the spontanaeity is back and we can get more as we choose, for whatever is available, just like the "old days".

Yes, it is totally possible to have your first 3 in the morning if that is what you want. The important thing to remember is the first options they assign you is not all that is available. I think I said this in the tips thread too sorry for the repeat if you've read both,but if you don't like the times, pick the ones closest to what you want and then go in and change the times for each experience.

Since I'm a pass older, I just tested what I could get for today (it's 7:55 a.m.) First I tried for Space Mountain, Big Thunder and Anna and Elsa. Not surprisingly Anna & Elsa are not available.

Then I put in Splash in place of Anna & Elsa and it gave me the normal 4 choices but everything was in the afternoon/early even exception option A which gave me Space, Big Thunder and Little Mermaid with times from 9-1:30. I picked it.

Then I went back. I left Space scheduled at 9 alone. I changed the Little Mermaid to Big Thunder and picked 10:30. Finally I moved Space to 11:30. It took me less than 5 minutes to do the whole thing.

Should you be able to pick each one for the time you want the first time? Absolutely. Hopefully that will be a later enhancement. But is it workable the way it is? Yes.

yankeesfan123
04-27-2014, 08:40 AM
The sillyness is the sycophantic support of an obvious flawed, disliked, and too expeninsive of a system.

Eeek. Harsh response.

"Expensive" is probably true. "Too" expensive is for Disney's brass to figure out.

"Obviously flawed" is subjective.

"Disliked" I don't think is the right term anymore.

I think the overall vibe is that Disney has improved the system during testing month after month throughout the past year.

The changes Disney has made has shifted the scale from hate, to acceptance, to preferring this system over the old one.

Just look at the boards. Read the trip reports.

The change in feedback over the past year has been astonishing.

Disney has been listening to its guests and people are incredibly happy about it.

Park Hopper
04-30-2014, 12:41 PM

We'll see... we'll be testing it in August, including the "hopping" option... :fingers:

I think the problem is that when many people preselect their first 3 FP+, they will be selecting rides in the afternoon. So, if you use your 3 FP+ in the morning, you are at the mercy of how many people have already picked the rides you want in the afternoon (with one of their initial 3 FP+), making availability scarce. In the old system, the number of FPs available was only a function of when you showed up to get your pass (if you had used your previous one).

I am not trying to be overly negative, but I will want to wait and see people's reaction on what options they had for their 4th or more FP+, if they set their initial 3 in the AM. I am guessing that this will have more impact on people that do not go to the parks when they are ultra busy, as previously you could get away with getting many good FPs in the afternoon.

yankeesfan123
04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I think the problem is that when many people preselect their first 3 FP+, they will be selecting rides in the afternoon. So, if you use your 3 FP+ in the morning, you are at the mercy of how many people have already picked the rides you want in the afternoon (with one of their initial 3 FP+), making availability scarce. In the old system, the number of FPs available was only a function of when you showed up to get your pass (if you had used your previous one).

I am not trying to be overly negative, but I will want to wait and see people's reaction on what options they had for their 4th or more FP+, if they set their initial 3 in the AM. I am guessing that this will have more impact on people that do not go to the parks when they are ultra busy, as previously you could get away with getting many good FPs in the afternoon.

That's a good idea, but you'll probably need to wait a few years to actually get a good sample!

It will vary depending on the time of year.

It was also vary depending on how many people ACTUALLY pre-book their choices.

Us in the online community know all about this... and Disney does a good job about mailing out information to people who have vacations booked... But I really wonder how many families, first timers, etc are pre-booking??

Cinderelley
05-01-2014, 08:06 AM
The changes Disney has made has shifted the scale from hate, to acceptance, to preferring this system over the old one.

I'm not sure I would go this far. It works for some. It doesn't work for others. Just like everything else in life.

disneynarula
05-01-2014, 08:21 AM
This enhancement just confuses me more. I think we will just stick to our plan of getting FP+ for the afternoons. I think it will be great for the two rides that everyone seems to mention over and over; Soarin and TSM. In the past we would have liked to spend the evening at Hollywood Studios. However, our kids love TSM. Historically we would have to get to Hollywood at rope drop and grab FP for TSM. Then we would get in line for TSM. I would much prefer to go to Magic Kingdom in the morning and know we can park hop to Hollywood later in the day and ride TSM. Same holds true for Epcot and Soarin. We can spend the morning at Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom and then head to Epcot for an evening ADR and a ride on Soarin. I was originally against the new FP system but now I am seeing the merits of it. I have read these boards for years and I know most of the people on it plan, plan, and plan anyway. For me it seems just as much work to run to get Fastpasses than to just plan them in advance. Being spontaneous went out the window as soon as making ADRs became necessary anyway. Now I can arrange my rides (hopefully) around those times.

TheHD
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM
I think we will just stick to our plan of getting FP+ for the afternoons.

I am leaning this way as well now. Once Disney announced that you can grab a 4th FP, and so on, I quickly changed my schedule to accomodate reserving FP for the morning so that my second park would be available to grab the additional FPs. I think now I'll go back to reserving the original three FPs for the afternoon park and at least I know I have them. It doesn't seem at the moment that any good FPs would be available once we hit our second park in the afternoon. We always hit rope drop, so everything we can do then would just be icing on the cake. At least that's how I'll look at it. Crunch time is coming up as my 60 days are right around the corner.

Of course, until everyone posts that many good FPs are available late in the afternoon... :D

yankeesfan123
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I am leaning this way as well now. Once Disney announced that you can grab a 4th FP, and so on, I quickly changed my schedule to accomodate reserving FP for the morning so that my second park would be available to grab the additional FPs. I think now I'll go back to reserving the original three FPs for the afternoon park and at least I know I have them. It doesn't seem at the moment that any good FPs would be available once we hit our second park in the afternoon. We always hit rope drop, so everything we can do then would just be icing on the cake. At least that's how I'll look at it. Crunch time is coming up as my 60 days are right around the corner.

Of course, until everyone posts that many good FPs are available late in the afternoon... :D

Great ideas!

I think it really all depends on the way you want to vacation. You have choices with the system on how you use it.

It will probably depend a lot on what type of traveler you are, if you're part of a bigger family, what everyone likes to do, what time of year you're going, what day of the week you're going, is there EMH, etc.

Lots of factors to play around with and there are a couple of different strategies on how to use the new system depending on your preferences.

TheHD
05-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Great ideas!

I think it really all depends on the way you want to vacation. You have choices with the system on how you use it.

It will probably depend a lot on what type of traveler you are, if you're part of a bigger family, what everyone likes to do, what time of year you're going, what day of the week you're going, is there EMH, etc.

Lots of factors to play around with and there are a couple of different strategies on how to use the new system depending on your preferences.

Yeah, we mastered the previous FP system and took advantage of every bit of it before, not abused it, just took advantage of it. We didn't show up after our one-hour window and sneek or beg to get in, even before the CMs were enforcing the window. So this will definitely be different, but a difference I'm looking forward to. I may not get on as many rides as before, definitely not headliners, but it will likely be more relaxing. Whereas before, we were always walking from one end of the park to the other once our next FP window opened to grab the next FP. This upcoming trip should be more "freeing".

Patricia
05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
My son is in WDW right now. As a Disney Cast Member he was worried about having to wait till he was in the park to get any Fast Passes. (Cast Members can't get advanced fast passes yet.)

He went to AK yesterday.. I asked him if it was able to get decent fast passes?

His reply:
Yeah we did. Fastpasses are actually pretty okay still since they let you grab 3 at a time, and from a different list than the online reservations

Were there long lines for the kiosks?

His reply:
Not at all! we got there 30 minutes after ak opened and got Kali at 10, Everest at 11 and Dinosaur at 1... Kilimanjaro had a short line!

:thumbsup: