PDA

View Full Version : Park Hoppers - Worth it with FP+ ?

DisneyGiant
03-31-2014, 11:16 PM
If you're only allowed 3 fast passes per day - and at one park only (I still think 3 is way too low) - why would you spend the extra money to park hop?

Just curious if anyone has reconsidered this option? We used to go to MK maybe in the morning, Studios at night for dinner - there were always fast passes available for Test Track & Rock & Roll - not Toy Story Mania - but that was always our morning attraction there.

Doesn't seem to be worth the extra money to do this any more if we're going to have to wait on long lines.....

My line tolerance is usually 30 minutes - or I go back another time.

Bruegge
03-31-2014, 11:25 PM
if onsite you can do EMH early hour at Mk till it gets busy then head to another park where you have your fastpasses

That's all I can see..

That or spend the day at park A then go see the fireworks at another park

yankeesfan123
03-31-2014, 11:37 PM
I think park hopper is MORE necessar now, basically using the plan listed above.

Morning in one park without FP, afternoon in another park with FP.

Of course, that plan would also work if you stayed in one park and wanted to do some rides twice.

FenwayGirl
04-01-2014, 08:04 AM
we use the hopper still....we like to eat at different restaurants and most times these are not in the parks that we start the day with. also nice to able to hop to the parks that stay open later or to watch the shows at the end of the night...

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
We've always gotten the hopper, and I'm actually more excited about it now. (about the only think I'm looking forward to with FP+).

We'll be able to arrive in our second park of the day, with 3 attractions all lined up and ready to go. I'm counting on an early start in the first park still making it possible to get on a number of attractions before the lines get crazy long.

mom2morgan
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
My problem - and why I don't think I can get away without hoppers- is that we are perfectly happy to spend all day in one park, BUT we like to eat at Epcot lots. So a typical day is go to whatever park, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or nap, then head to Epcot for meals.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-01-2014, 10:58 AM
My problem - and why I don't think I can get away without hoppers- is that we are perfectly happy to spend all day in one park, BUT we like to eat at Epcot lots. So a typical day is go to whatever park, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or nap, then head to Epcot for meals.

This is the reason while I'll always get Park Hopper passes. I'll typically spend the majority of the day in 1 park, but might hop over to another park for dinner, Extra Magic Hours, or fireworks.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
FP+ or no FP+, we've grown to be so spoiled with park hoppers.

A great plan seems to be to get your fastpasses for your afternoon parks. OR if you're inclined to not get park hoppers, get FPs for the busy times. You can do a ride in the AM and then do again when its busy!

I know its not the most popular opinion, but I think three pastpasses is enough. MK being the exception, it covers most of the major rides in the park. Get three, wait on one or two. IDK. I'm not really that bothered by it. We don't even stay on site, so we're at a disadvantage (can't sign up as early for em!), but I still think it works.

SurferStitch
04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
We've always park hopped, and I don't think we've EVER gotten more than 3 FP's in a day anyway.... usually more like 1 or 2, so the new FP rules and park hopping are perfectly fine with us.

I don't like the need to book FP's in advance, but so be it. I'll book some, but I won't plan out every day... that's just ridiculous.

ThanxForNoticin
04-01-2014, 12:34 PM
The Park Hopper is a given for us. We feel the versatility of the PH is even more important to us than the FP or FP+. We certainly look to take advantage of the FP+ where we can, but we're also very willing to enjoy some of the attractions the way we always have - by standing and waiting sometimes.

The most important part of our planning is trying to work our trips around avoiding the busiest times at Disney - that makes the standby lines at least tolerable most of the time.

Dream'nDisney
04-01-2014, 01:14 PM
It was rare (if ever) that we were able to get a Fast Pass in the afternoon or evening, so this new system is going really help us if we decide to use the FP+'s in the afternoon. Like an earlier person said, we might just go walk on the rides we want in the morning at one park and then after taking a mid-day break, head to another park and use the pre-selected FP+'s.

Middle of the Map
04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I haven't hopped in years, and I like having that extra money to spend on great meals or special purchases.

Parking hopping is great if you're full of energy after spending a morning at a park. I've found the older I get the less "hopping" I want to do.

DisneyGiant
04-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

We always park hop too - its the first time we're considering not doing so.

But in reading your replies - I see where it might work - getting a Soarin FP on the night we're having dinner at Epcot - but go to the MK in the morning & wait on shorter standby lines there.

I guess its a change in mentality. We are a family that took advantage of how ever many FPs the system allowed us - going to be weird waiting on the standby line in Splash Mountain - when before we never went on it unless we had a fast pass!

I know - spoiled first world problems...... :)

But I'll be on that line - thinking - well - tonight you won't have to wait for Soarin - but in my experience, even with a FP for Soarin - there's always a wait!

I am a planner (ADRs always in advance on the first day I'm allowed to get them) - but I really dislike having to plan these attraction times ahead of schedule - takes some of the "magic" out of it.......

Who knows - maybe we'll come to like it. Wont know until we try.....

yankeesfan123
04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
I love how people from New Jersey stand "on" line. One of my favorite regional quirks.

DisneyGiant
04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I love how people from New Jersey stand "on" line. One of my favorite regional quirks.

I never knew that "we" were the only ones who did that!? :)

I guess the equally as offensive alternative is "in line?" But then, we'd be admitting that we are voluntarily doing so - when in reality the fact is that there are too many people waiting "in line" for "our" turn..... lol :thumbsup:

Daisy'sMom
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Why are people letting fast pass+ dominate their vacations? Remember the good ole days when you went to a park unplanned in the morning and ended up at another one at night? Remember connecting to strangers while waiting in line? I long for the olden days!:mickey:

DisneyGiant
04-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Just read on another blog that WDW will allow additional fast passes after the 3rd one is used (you'll have to add them that day) - and they are considering adding the FP+ option to park hop as well.

Makes me feel much much better! :)

TheHD
04-02-2014, 11:46 PM
I guess its a change in mentality. We are a family that took advantage of how ever many FPs the system allowed us - going to be weird waiting on the standby line in Splash Mountain - when before we never went on it unless we had a fast pass!

Same here. I'm going to see many standby queues that I haven't seen in years for our upcoming trip.

Tekneek
04-03-2014, 07:07 PM
It really depends on how you use it. I don't think there is an easy answer that would apply to every situation. I cannot imagine being there without the option, just for the flexibility.

MrPeetrie
04-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Who knows - maybe we'll come to like it. Wont know until we try.....

Conversely, we try to go during light seasons (if one even exists) and NEVER used FastPass on POTC or Haunted Mansion among others as it wasn't needed. Will we now need to "schedule" these well in advance so we are assured to ride a few of our favorites?

I agree, though, that I can't make a fair judgment regarding the new system until I experience it for myself. I have hope, but I am equally anxious.

Tekneek
04-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I recently read an analysis that indicated wait times at Pirates and Haunted Mansion are up post-FP+, while some others are down (such as Space Mountain).

acetate
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
We still did the Park Hopper in December and will probably keep it because of flexibility for us. Sometimes we start out at Magic Kingdom and then take the monorail to epcot for a more relaxed dinner and shopping kind of night. It does put a crimp in the rides, but if you are looking for other things it could still work out. Plus you may get lucky and have a short wait on a ride via the stand-by line.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Why are people letting fast pass+ dominate their vacations? Remember the good ole days when you went to a park unplanned in the morning and ended up at another one at night? Remember connecting to strangers while waiting in line? I long for the olden days!:mickey:

I have to agree. I don't like waiting in hour - hour and a half for every line, but we typically just time vacations and plans right and we're never waiting too long. We'll do fastpasses, but mostly we don't mind waiting in line. We meet a lot of lovely people!

Sylvia
04-07-2014, 11:36 PM

My sentiments exactly. We always have park-hopped and will continue to do so.

As my Mother used to say, we're going to "play it by ear", and we'll continue to plan our Disney vacations as we always have done in the past. Although we will still develop a proposed itinerary, the only plans "etched in stone" will be ADRs for our must-do TS locations. Over the years, we very rarely used FP, and we doubt if we'll use FP+. We enjoy the flexibility that park hoppers provide. Another park-hopping trip is just 30 days away. :mickey::cloud9::thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Well pretty soon Disney is going to start allowing guests to get more fp's once all 3 of the ones you had are used. Not sure when this will start but hopeful that it will be before we go in November. That is great for us who love to park hop. Choose 3 for the morning park then 3 for the evening, even if we end up back at the same park. :mickey:

The only thing thats get me is the tiers and grouping of attractions. I understand it is for crowd control in the queue but that will certainly mean not riding both Soarin and TT in the same day... those stand-by lines get brutal.