PDA

View Full Version : Which Restaurant? Help Please

merciantinkerbell
03-30-2014, 02:01 PM
I would like some help in choosing between Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining. Our 180 day mark is coming up. Never been to a Japanese restaurant, they're something of a rarity in this part of the world. We would like to try one for lunch but I have shellfish allergy. We think Tokyo Dining may be best for me as the other has grills and greater chance of cross-contamination. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Disneyfun
03-30-2014, 02:29 PM
If you have shellfish allergies, then do not even consider Teppan Edo. While it is a great experience, the chances of cross contamination would be astronomical if they cook your food on the grills with everyone else.

I would say that Tokyo Dining is the only way to go if you want a TS dinner.

If you are just going for Japanese food and do not care about where you sit, you may want to consider waiving off the TS and simply enjoy Katsura Grill - the CS on the hill! The food is phenomenal and the price point is much kinder than the TS restaurants. If you time it right, you can enjoy your meal outside with the Taiko drummers playing!

buzznwoodysmom
03-30-2014, 03:07 PM
My son has a seafood and poultry allergy and has still managed to enjoy two great meals at Teppan Edo. My husband has a fish allergy and has also dined here twice with no issues. In the case of my son, I believe they prepared and cooked his meal "behind the scenes" as to avoid any cross contamination. It really was a non issue both times we dined here. Same can be said for all TS locations we have tried in WDW. Food allergies are very well taken care of at most,if not all, WDW restaurants.

We have also had dinner at Tokyo Dining, but we found our meals at Teppan Edo to be much, much better.

merciantinkerbell
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. :mickey: We did try Katsura grill on our trip in 2012 and enjoyed the Japanese food there so much we'd like to try a TS restaurant.

amorillo
03-31-2014, 01:42 PM
I've only done Teppan Edo (trying out Tokyo Dining in Oct). But I wouldn't worry about the allergy issues.... like the previous poster stated Disney really goes above and beyond for food allergies! My Mother took a trip with us a few years ago.... and I swear she is allergic to EVERYTHING :D When we dined at Teppan Edo they made her dinner back in the kitchen & she had no problems! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Disney is great with allergies as long as you note it on your reservation and let your server know you won't have any problems. I've been watching the Utube videos of some of the restaurants and the Teppon Edo one looks a blast. Not only do you get a meal but the chef puts on quite a show. Two of my coworkers have recently recommended it to me and say the food is pretty good.

azcavalier
04-01-2014, 10:59 AM
This post has nothing to do with allergies.

However, we (my wife and I ) feel after much discussion that Teppan Edo is the most consistently good restaurant in all of WDW. We have had nothing but delicious meals there, every time. It doesn't blow us away, but it's also never been bad. It's a great choice.

And, as always, Disney will bend over backwards to accommodate. Just let them know it advance.

etibbetts
04-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I've never been to Tokyo Dining but I love Teppan Edo. As the previous poster said, I've never had a bad meal here. It's always been one of my favorites. I highly recommend it!

ThanxForNoticin
04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
We have done both several times, and they are both outstanding places to eat. But they are very different. As other posters have mentioned, I don't think you need to avoid Teppan Edo because of an alergy - they will take good care of you. If I had to make a choice, I'd probably be 51% Teppan Edo and 49% Tokyo. Enjoy, whichever you choose!

MargaretMessler
04-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Never had a bad meal at Teppan Edo (including its previous name, I can't for the life of me remember). Very entertaining presentation (especially if you happen to have a child at your table) and delicious food.

merciantinkerbell
04-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We've decided Tokyo Dining because the point of the grills is to watch them cook your food, which from what has been said, likely won't happen with mine. 199 days to go! Whoooooooo! Is it too early to get excited??? :woohoo::joy:

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We've decided Tokyo Dining because the point of the grills is to watch them cook your food, which from what has been said, likely won't happen with mine. 199 days to go! Whoooooooo! Is it too early to get excited??? :woohoo::joy:

Only your plate will be brought out from the back. Everyone else in your party will have their food cooked on the grill in front of you. My son's food came out on a plate from the back, but it didn't take away from the experience for him. He still got to watch all the other food cooked in front of us. It's quite entertaining, especially if you don't have those types of restaurants near home. Perhaps we hit Tokyo Dining on an off night, but I can't say enough how much better our meals at Teppan Edo have been.

mechanic
04-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Never too early to be excited. Just booked july trip, and I'm already smiling.

Gator
04-02-2014, 06:59 PM
It depends on how bad the allergies are. Me and my DD have light shellfish allergies, as I like to call them. No skin rashes or breathing issues. Just a little stomach irritation, but nothing a Tums or Rolaids can't handle.

We ate there on our last trip and had Zero problems even though they made scallops with our steaks. My DD had problems with most of the shrimp at Disney, but had no problems here. Disney is really good about allergy stuff so just let them know before hand.