View Full Version : Family Throw Back Trip Pretrip Report

ftwildernesskid
03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
March 7-12

Cast: Myself, wife and mom of 3, and trip planner
Disney Sister, Christy,
Disney Mom, Sue,
Disney Dad, Charlie

This trip originally started as a sister weekend getaway. As we were trying to decide where we wanted to go my parents found out they would be at a conference in Orlando. They wanted all the family to come down and do a big family vacation, but I couldn't take the kids out of school so close to their Spring Break. So....we decided to do a throwback family vacation. We all are Disney Lovers. We came to Disney as a family many, many, many times and have so many wonderful memories. And as much as I love my family being there, it will be great to do Disney with just Mom, Dad, and Christy like the old days,
So i started planning. My husband is in the Army so we got discounted rooms at Pop Century and I picked up the 4 day park hoppers in December and spent hours and hours linking everything on the website. I consider myself fairly intelligent, but was reduced to screaming at my phone and computer while trying to follow the few simple steps to plan our trip. Wow, do they need to overhaul that whole system. I had to speak to technical support 3 different times with problems that took them 30 minutes to fix. Then more problems would arise. This process made me extremely skeptical of the fastpass plus system. But we were all hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. We were able to get fastpasses for everything we wanted 60 days out. Our plan was to use the morning Early Magic hours and then park hop over to where our fastpasses are in the early afternoons. A couple weeks before our trip, I got fastpasses to Be Our Guest for lunch and got our food ordered. We also had ADRs for the Hoop De Doo the night of our arrival which would be a non park day, and Via Napoli for the evening we would be in Epcot.
So everything was all set and we were super excited. Then in January I missed a step at the bottom of my porch and fractured my ankle in 2 places and sprained it 3 ligaments. As the trip approached I was still on crutches and in a walking boot and it became clear that it would not heal enough for me to be able to even think about managing Disney without a scooter. I ordered one for Apple Scooters and got over being bummed about this bump in the road and we were all set!

VWL Mom
03-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to your reports. Hope you children weren't too mad they were left behind.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Hope your trip is much smoother than the planning seemed to be ... looking forward to your reports.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Sorry about your foot, but glad you got the scooter, have a blast:thumbsup:

faline
03-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a nasty fall! Glad you still get to get on your trip - sounds like lots of fun!!