PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the lockers at Universal...

Gregandmel
03-27-2014, 11:04 PM
So as me and my family prepare for our first trip to Universal, I keep seeing things posted about putting your backpacks into lockers. I happened to "Google Earth" Universal and could see the lockers outside of The Mummy ride. For this example, do you just walk up to the rows of lockers and pick one that is available and put your stuff in it, then get in the line (we'll have Express Pass) and then ride the ride, then get your stuff? I"m a bit confused on this as it seems that nearly every ride at US/IOA requires you to put your items up. Do you do it after you queue up or beforehand and how do the lockers work? Combination? Key? I'm confused:confused:. Thanks for any insight into this!! Wish we could make it without carrying anything into the park but we will more than likely need at least a small backpack. Thanks!

razor5002000
03-28-2014, 03:24 AM
The lockers are free. When you go to the lockers there is a computer just push the button on the screen it will aske you to put your figner on the scanner and then it will give you a locker number and it will pop open. It will also tell you how long you can use the locker. Once you put you bag in the locker just close it. When you come back go to the computer put your locker number in and it should pop right open so you can get your stuff.

Hope this helps.
Have a fun trip.:cool:

Goofeygal
03-28-2014, 08:36 AM
We ran into a problem with the lockers. When we came back to get our stuff the finger scaners were not working and no employ to be seen. We wound up getting charged $3.00 for the use of the locker because it exceeded the time limit, so just be aware.

Goofeygal
03-28-2014, 08:37 AM
You do have to use a credit card.

MNNHFLTX
03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
The lockers are free. When you go to the lockers there is a computer just push the button on the screen it will aske you to put your figner on the scanner and then it will give you a locker number and it will pop open. It will also tell you how long you can use the locker. Once you put you bag in the locker just close it. When you come back go to the computer put your locker number in and it should pop right open so you can get your stuff.
Just wanted to add that when you come back to retrieve your belongings, you indicate the locker number (don't forget it!) on the computer screen and then it will scan your finger again before it opens the locker. They allow you a certain amount of time to use the lockers, based on the ride wait and the time that you need to ride the attraction and a little extra thrown in. If you exceed that time because the wait time was longer than expected you should get an attendant to open the locker for you. If you exceed the time time because you went off and did something else for a while, then you have to use a credit card to open the locker for you and get charged according the to rate schedule.

A word of advice--when choosing a locker at an attraction, go to the back of the locker section, as it will be less crowded and easier to use the computer terminals. And don't worry, after using the system a couple of times it will totally be a breeze.

Gregandmel
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM
After looking at a few other boards on this subject, it appears that there are only "certain" attractions where storing your belongings is required to get a locker (Rip Ride Rocket, The Mummy and MIB at Universal).

What do the other rides do regarding your backpacks? Like Minion Mayhem, or Spiderman at IOA? Do you keep them with you??

Thanks again for any insight. we will be there end of June and it may be a complete madhouse with the possibility of the new Harry Potter - Diagon Alley being opened so we are trying to keep all stress triggers away if possible! Would love to be "backpack free" but don't think that's going to happen - just trying to be prepared and informed since we've never been and it will be hot & crowded! (We've enjoyed slower times at Disney when the weather was cooler so we are really working at knowing everything we can to make this trip as smooth as possible)

Middle of the Map
04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Previous posters have given really good advice so I won't repeat what they said. I will say that my experience with the lockers was uneven.

Some lockers popped right open the first time, but others were more difficult. At one ride I had to get an attendant to trigger the mechanism.

To make life easier, don't bring anything you can't zip up in a pocket.

mickeyman42
04-05-2014, 12:17 PM
ok, so while I was reading this thread I had a thought, well actually I had the thought 2 weeks ago while at IOA. rides like Hulk and RipRideRocket require you to have NOTHING, and I mean nothing in your pockets (for obvious reasons), so if you're stuff is in a locker and you end up having to pay for a rental period of time, how do you pay the fee if your wallet and credit cards are locked in the locker as required to ride the ride? I'm sure I'm missing a very obvious answer but I can't seem to come up with it!

BowTie7
04-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I always take a pen and a note card with me to write down the locker number--after a long day and multiple visits to the same ride, all the lockers look the same. (or maybe I'm just getting really old)

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM
ok, so while I was reading this thread I had a thought, well actually I had the thought 2 weeks ago while at IOA. rides like Hulk and RipRideRocket require you to have NOTHING, and I mean nothing in your pockets (for obvious reasons), so if you're stuff is in a locker and you end up having to pay for a rental period of time, how do you pay the fee if your wallet and credit cards are locked in the locker as required to ride the ride? I'm sure I'm missing a very obvious answer but I can't seem to come up with it!That was the exact situation we ran into on our trip a couple of years ago. I would recommend someone keeping a credit card in their secured pocket (like one with a button or snap enclosure) just in case. You can also get an attendant to open the locker so that you can get your credit card to pay the fee, but the attendants are not always there and it can take a while.

Middle of the Map
04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
I always take a pen and a note card with me to write down the locker number--after a long day and multiple visits to the same ride, all the lockers look the same. (or maybe I'm just getting really old)

No, you're not getting old. It was confusing when we would do different rides and have different locker numbers. They do all look the same after a while. Writing down the info is brilliant :D

Kenny1113
04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
We ran into a problem with the lockers. When we came back to get our stuff the finger scaners were not working and no employ to be seen. We wound up getting charged $3.00 for the use of the locker because it exceeded the time limit, so just be aware.

We ran into this same exact problem outside of the mummy. I had to get the ride attendant to call some one over. We were not charged a fee however, the locker attendant asked for proof of ownership of contents and he opened it.

Like a previous poster said, just try to bring as little as possible. If it's crowded the lockers really can be a pain in the ... Even if heading to the farthest ones. Like at HP they would get bottlenecked.