PDA

View Full Version : 3 adult ladies - where to stay?

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-24-2014, 03:30 PM
I am taking a trip with two of my girlfriends (we're all in our mid-to-late 20's) in the fall to WDW! :mickey: So excited!!! The last time I was at WDW was 2008 so it's been awhile.

We're going for 5 days, and my friends have put me in charge of the planning, since I've spent so much time at WDW, and this will be their very first time.

I am trying to decide on where to stay. The things that are important to us are:

easy transportation to the parks
a more adult-friendly resort (pools not overrun with children, a good bar to have a night cap at, etc)
an updated room (don't want to stay somewhere that feels old/outdated)
a decent store at the resort to buy snacks at before hitting the parks
we are interested in either a Deluxe or Moderate resort

Would love to see what you all recommend and why! Thanks so much.

natedog24
03-24-2014, 03:55 PM
After reading what you're looking for, I'd say check out the Boardwalk. With JellyRolls (dueling piano bar) right there and a couple restaurants, it's a cool spot with a lot going on, that's close to the parks.

It's walkable to both Epcot and DHS (there's also transportation, obviously).

Also in that area is the Yacht Club and Beach Club - may be worth checking out as well.

Full disclosure: I've never been inside a room at the Boardwalk, so I can't vouch for the state of the rooms.

Scallywag
03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Port Orleans - Riverside

Princess themed rooms, updated last year. ( I would request this when you book )

Almost equally distant from all the parks 10-15 minutes on the shuttle.

You can take the boats to Downtown Disney because it's on the river. That's a nice change from the buses.

There is a nice Lounge/Bar area with a piano player.:marg:

Multiple bus stops on the property so they don't get too crowded.

A large themed pool ( usually over run by kids ), but several private pools throughout the property that are much less busy and usually more quiet.

A decent size gift shop and the best food court of all the moderates ( in my opinion) .

Have fun planning your trip!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I was going to vote for POR as well. With a main pool and quiet pools, the quiet ones are usually quite quiet and a great place to swim and hang out. There is a popular bar area, with entertainment, a super store and probably the best food court of any resort.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-24-2014, 05:33 PM
If price isn't an issue take a look at the Grand Floridian, its such a pretty resort I think its an appealing choice for three ladies and you have the monorail....also the Yacht Club and Boardwalk (I hear Beachclub has more kids) you have easy walking access to the WS so you can stroll over for dinner or drinks around the WS or hit the entertainment at the Boardwalk . However yacht club does share its pool with BC.

Moderates I would say for adults Coronado Springs or POR.

buzznwoodysmom
03-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I would stay at Yacht Club.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks so much for the responses so far, and please keep them coming! So much to think about and research. :thumbsup:

Just wondering why no one has mentioned Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, or Animal Kingdom? What about my criteria did they not fit? I am just curious, because I've always loved the theming of these resorts. When I'm at WDW, I like to feel like I'm in a totally different world, and I just don't feel like that at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk. They are very nice, but I just don't feel the "magic" there. Does that make sense?

d_m_n_n
03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Fall+food and wine=the Epcot resort area!!! My favorite is boardwalk, but you won't be disappointed in any of them :mickey:

Scallywag
03-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much for the responses so far, and please keep them coming! So much to think about and research. :thumbsup:

Just wondering why no one has mentioned Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, or Animal Kingdom? What about my criteria did they not fit? I am just curious, because I've always loved the theming of these resorts. When I'm at WDW, I like to feel like I'm in a totally different world, and I just don't feel like that at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk. They are very nice, but I just don't feel the "magic" there. Does that make sense?

These 3 are on my wish list, but currently out of my budget. AK would get my vote if $ were no issue. Poly would be a close 2nd with the Monorail. Let us know which one you go with...

WDWForever
03-24-2014, 08:32 PM
I personally love Boardwalk. Walking distance to EPCOT or HS. Plenty of restaurants/bars nearby. Only thing about Beach Club is they have amazing pool which draws a lot of kids. If not the EPCOT area, then I like Poly. Of course there's buses, but you can take a boat/monorail to MK, and it's walking distance to TTC.

Jillirose
03-24-2014, 09:10 PM
I'd say Wilderness Lodge if you will be spending most of your time at MK. Otherwise, Boardwalk or Dolphin. Drawback with the Dolphin - can't get FP+ ressies ahead of time.

MargaretMessler
03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
I would definitely choose an EPCOT resort what with the food & wine festival going on (I'm slightly past my 20s, but do generally travel there with my similar aged friends for girls trips).

I have not stayed at any of them, but we did also enjoy the environment of the Boardwalk at night. Easily accessible from all of them.

Only mod I have stayed at was Caribbean Beach, and it's very spread out so not overrun with children at all. However, I did not care for the bus transportation (always seemed like we were waiting longer than at other resorts), so we drove most of the time.

natedog24
03-24-2014, 10:34 PM
I stand by my initial recommendation of Boardwalk, but I have stayed at a couple of the other resorts you mentioned.

I LOVE Wilderness Lodge - it's one of my favorites! However, you mentioned not overrun with kids (which is hard at Disney - I too, am in my late 20's without kids) - and there seemed to always be a ton of kids running around. There are hidden mickeys everywhere at that resort, so it is a constant a scavenger hunt with clues from the front desk. Also, the crowd from Whispering Canyon can get a bit loud in the lobby. The bar there is nothing special in my mind either. Transport to MK is by boat, and busses to the other parks - OK, but not exactly the best either. That's I didn't recommend that resort.

I've also stayed at AKL, BUT it is in the middle of nowhere! You mentioned easy transportation to the parks as your first criteria. So immediately that resort went to the bottom of my list. AKL is an amazing resort and if you stay there, make sure you get a room with a view, but it didn't seem to fit your "ideal" resort.

Never stayed at Poly, but I have eaten there many times, and it's certainly close to MK. But that monorail line does back up a LOT at park closing. Again, I haven't been in the rooms, but to me, the resort feels dated. Perhaps someone else may disagree or be more knowledgeable than me on this.

The good things for both Poly and WL is at night you can see the Electric Water Parade, which is kind of neat.

No matter what, I'm sure you guys will have a good time! Really, you aren't going to go wrong with any resort you stay at...

Angelgirl65
03-25-2014, 07:10 AM
You should look into Coronado Springs. They have a dance club on site, a salon and spa. Could make for a good girls weekend

VWL Mom
03-25-2014, 08:03 AM
I love WL but not sure if it is what you are looking for when it comes to night life.

Pool: The main pool is loud and there are a lot of little ones but it is Disney. You can use the quiet pool by the villas (also has a hot tub) which was redone this year.

Rooms: Underwent a refurbishment in 2013 and the rooms really look great. Much brighter than they were.

Lounge: Territory Lounge, slightly small, is a great place for a nightcap. They also have a nice snack menu. During the day Trout Pass Bar by the pool is open and they have some tables around back by the beach. My favorite spot to relax!

The Merchantile: Since WL also has the villas the store has a wider selection than some.

Transportation: No better or worse than anywhere else. If you're splitting time between all parks it's fine. If you're spend most of your time at Epcot, probably not the resort for you IMO.

Sturdy Branches: Does have a health club on site if that interests your group. Also offers massages at a reasonable price.

yankeesfan123
03-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Just wondering, because this might play a factor.

Do you three adults plan on sharing a room?

Disney4us2
03-25-2014, 08:57 AM
I love AKL:mickey: I have DVC so I stay in a studio villa. If you consider renting points and get a 1 bedroom at Kidani, I believe they have 2 bathrooms. Jambo House has more in the way of quick service and a larger gift shop. I still love Kidani and it's slower pace. It is an easy walk (or bus/shuttle)ride over to Jambo House. The theming is incredible and for a first visit the savannah view is a must.

Jambo House also has regular non DVC rooms as well as DVC villas.

Don't know about the bars at either one. Love the theming at the pools. Even when it was busy, kids and all. I never felt the kids were taking over.

The only draw back is all transportation is by bus or your own car. Kidani is the first pickup/drop off, with the exception of the bus going to DTD.

I love the way you are transported into another world at AKL and how peaceful it is after a busy day at the parks.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Just wondering, because this might play a factor.

Do you three adults plan on sharing a room?

Yes, we will share a room.

Thanks everyone for the insight! :mickey: It's a lot to think about, and I appreciate you all explaining your reasoning behind each resort!

Right now, my biggest contenders are: Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, Port Orleans Riverside, and Wilderness Lodge.

JoDisney
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
My son and friends are in their 20s, they enjoyed AKL and WL. AKL is close to the AK park. They loved the resort and animals. However, they like the large pool and hot tubs at night. They enjoyed the lounge and restaurants and fitness area. They did not mind the bus to the parks. Hey they are in their 20s! Now, they also enjoyed the WL. This lodge is closer to the MK. It is just a boat ride to the MK. If you want to go to Epcot, you can pick up the monorail at MK. They thought the restaurants at WL were just ok. The pool is smaller and there is another pool at the Villas. They have hot tub and a fitness center and lounge, too. Of course, you have the lake and the Electric Water Parade. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with AKL or WL.

SBETigg
03-25-2014, 10:14 AM
If you're going in the fall, you might be spending a lot of time at the F & W Festival (if you're within the dates) and you might want to be close. Being right there, walking distance to World Showcase, does make a big difference than having to bus or monorail over every time.

I would go with Yacht Club- the quiet pool is not a big draw with kids. It's a more adult environment, a little more upscale, plus so close to Epcot and World Showcase, where you might be spending lots of time. The gift shop is a good one, lots to interest adult buyers, plus you have lots of in-resort bar options (lobby bar, Crew's Cup Lounge, Pool/Beach bar). Good restaurants (Captain's Grille or Yachtsman's Steakhouse, if you want a quiet night in). Boardwalk is just a walk across a bridge or a boat ride if you want a late night out, but you're also a little more removed from it if you want a quiet night's sleep. Also at the YC, you might be able to get a room with a day bed so no one has to share a bed. Coronado Springs might be a decent choice for less money, but you're losing the proximity.

mydisneygirls
03-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Funny you should mention this. My two favorite resorts are Poly and WL. If I were you, I'd stay at the Poly but advise you check on the construction going on. If it won't bother you, I'd say go for it. The atmosphere can't be beat and they do have the bar where you can get a drink at night. Also, I big plus is the room is set up to sleep 5 so all 3 of you can have your own place to sleep. The WL....love this resort too. Although it's not on the monorail, it has boat access to MK which is just as convenient. I actually enjoy the ride on the lake. Very calming! Never been but they do have the bar in the lobby. Not sure it's open very late but at least until 11 or midnight. As with all resorts, the larger pools will have more children at them, but each resort also has a quiet pool. I know the store at the WL has snack and food but you will pay an arm and a leg for it. I would suggest bringing your own snacks in your suitcase (granola bars, crackers, etc). WL also has rooms with bunk beds (I know they're more for kids) but at least you'd each have your own bed here too. I've been tempted to stay at AK, but for me it's too far away from everything. I like being closer to the parks, Downtown Disney, etc.

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 12:05 PM

The ONE and ONLY reason I didn't suggest WL is because there are only 2 queen beds in those rooms as opposed to 2 queen beds and a day bed at some of the other deluxe resorts. Of course if two of you don't mind sharing a bed then I would highly recommend WL. It's my favorite Disney resort. I also love that everything is under one roof.

I didn't suggest the Poly because of all the ongoing construction taking place right now. From all the pictures I have seen the resort looks to be a big mess right now and the prices are way too high for all that nonsense. ;)

Animal Kingdom Lodge would be in part the same reason as WL. Those rooms don't have the day bed so sharing a bed would be required. And while I think it's a very unique resort, I don't love it as much as WL or YC.

The main reason I suggested YC was because it's been the quietest resort we've stayed at. Of course there are kids, but this is the resort we felt had the fewest kids, it was very quiet, and just felt a bit more adult oriented than the other resorts we've stayed at. I also picked YC because you'll be in WDW during Food and Wine Festival. I think an Epcot resort is ideal during that time.

mydisneygirls
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
The ONE and ONLY reason I didn't suggest WL is because there are only 2 queen beds in those rooms as opposed to 2 queen beds and a day bed at some of the other deluxe resorts. Of course if two of you don't mind sharing a bed then I would highly recommend WL. It's my favorite Disney resort. I also love that everything is under one roof.

But WL does have rooms with bunk beds. Even at my age, I wouldn't mind sleeping on the top!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Because it seems to me there are more kids at those resorts especially the pools...however, Animal Kingdom is on my bucket list for Savannah View don't rule any of them out I was just trying to suggest more adult themed. My trip in October is my first adults only trip and we picked YC due to the ease of walking into the WS for the Food and Wine Festival and I just like the looks of it, plus we've never visited the Boardwalk and it is right next door.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-25-2014, 01:45 PM

We do not mind sharing beds. :thumbsup:

Also, another thing about us, if this helps things... We are the kind of people who will probably spend only 1 afternoon at the resort out of the whole trip, lounging by the pool. We are the kind of Disney people that are up before sunrise and in bed after the parks close for the day.

And sadly, we won't be there during the Food & Wine Festival. We're planning for Nov 26th-30th and I believe it is over by then?

KarenP
03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
And sadly, we won't be there during the Food & Wine Festival. We're planning for Nov 26th-30th and I believe it is over by then?

Yes, it is over Nov. 10th!

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
But WL does have rooms with bunk beds. Even at my age, I wouldn't mind sleeping on the top!

LOL. Very True. I hadn't even thought about the bunk beds.

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 02:32 PM
We do not mind sharing beds. :thumbsup:

Also, another thing about us, if this helps things... We are the kind of people who will probably spend only 1 afternoon at the resort out of the whole trip, lounging by the pool. We are the kind of Disney people that are up before sunrise and in bed after the parks close for the day.

Well then without Food and Wine Festival the Epcot resorts wouldn't be as much a draw. Although they are still amazing resorts and being able to walk to Epcot at anytime of the year is definitely still a perk to staying in that area. WL is definitely my favorite, but YC/BC are not far behind.

If you do choose WL and want to spend an afternoon lounging by the pool without being surrounded by too many children, you could always check out the quiet pool. There's bound to be less children. The only downside to that is if you wanted to order drinks from the bar while you lounged. There isn't a bar by the quiet pool.

I think for the price you just can't beat WL. It's such an amazingly themed resort and it's so much cheaper than the other deluxe resorts. We love everything about it, and that lower price tag helps us to be able to stay there more often than some of our other favorites.

SBETigg
03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Missing the F & W Fest simply means World Showcase will be that much less crowded and easier to enjoy in it's normal state, and an Epcot area resort is still a really good choice.

Janmac
03-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Here's another vote for the Epcot area resorts.

While you and your friends may be park commandos, it's always good to have options. An Epcot area resort gives you all the options of the Boardwalk as well as transportation options: walk to Epcot, boat or walk to Disney Hollywood Studios and bus to MK and AK.

If you decide to stay at either Yacht or Beach Club, the pool is big enough and awesome enough, that you shouldn't be over run by kids, and you may change your minds about your park touring (it is Disney World).

We really warmed up to the Boardwalk evening scene after staying there a week. The pizza window was so handy, the street entertainers are hard to ignore, and the Screen Door shop has pretty much anything you could ask for.

For theming, we favor WL above all the other resorts. Given your requests, and situation, I'd still suggest centrally located Epcot area resorts.

Hope you'll post a trip report! :thumbsup:

Jan

Lindslou
03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
A boardwalk resort would also be my suggestion. You can't beat walking to both Epcot (5mins) and DHS (10mins). You wouldn't believe how much time can be lost waiting in bus lines and what a difference it makes to stroll into the park with no delay. I can imagine that you guys (being on an adult girls' trip and all) will spend a lot of time at Epcot so the proximity will be great. And you'll have all the nightlife of the boardwalk there (as well as the 7 bars between the Swan and Dolphin).

Disney_pups2
03-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I would suggest the Polynesian. It is on the monorail line and has more of an adult taste to it. That one and possibly the Grand Floridian.