PDA

View Full Version : Kouzzina to close 9/30/14; Trattoria al Forno Opens December '14

AgentC
03-24-2014, 11:52 AM
It is being reported that Kouzzina will close on 9/30/2014 and then be replaced by a new restaurant. I have not seen an official announcement yet.

Basket Mommy
03-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Just returned from a week's stay at Beach Club Villas. I have to admit, as I looked across the water at Kouzzina, that I didn't think it would last much longer. I liked it the one time our family ate there, but I've seen so many negative reviews from others that I didn't think it was very popular among regulars. I hope something else delicious goes there.

Jared
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Farewell to the best non-signature restaurant on property. What a shame.

SBETigg
03-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Yeah, I agree. I hope we get a good replacement, but I've had some really good meals at Kouzzina and will miss it. Spoodles was really popular before Kouzzina went in that same space. I wonder why restaurants there don't seem to last long, and what will come next.

DVCJohn
03-24-2014, 02:42 PM
I never ate at Kouzzina. after looking at the menu, it never appealed to my taste. Frankly what is missing at the Boardwalk is a Quick Service location similar to the food courts in the value resorts. The food at the stands on the boardwalk is barely edible. The ESPN Club and the Big River Brew Works basically sell "Bar Food", The Flying Fish is a high end choice. Other than the small selection at the Boardwalk Bakery there is no true Quick Service.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
I suspect the reason it is closing is the same reason I've never eaten there. I think the menu sounds interesting and yummy but I am an adventurous eater. The problem is its far too exotic for my mom and nothing my son would try, so I would never be able to eat there unless I was traveling alone. I've noticed that most of the restaurants in the WS will have something on the menu simple and kind of plain that will appeal to picky eaters but I don't see anything like that at Kouzzina. Disney being a family vacation, I don't see a lot of people with kids eating there either....too bad for those folks tired of the same ole same ole:(

jamiem
03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Just made my breakfast reservation for our June trip! One more sweet potato hash before it is gone. . .

hoop de do
03-24-2014, 05:46 PM
It was a must do on our trips. We will truly miss it. :(

disneymom2000
03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
How sad. I ate there when I took my friend who was married to a Greek man and the food was really good. I hate that it is going away. I always encourage people to try it out when I book them.

MrPeetrie
03-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I suspect the reason it is closing is the same reason I've never eaten there. I think the menu sounds interesting and yummy but I am an adventurous eater. The problem is its far too exotic for my mom and nothing my son would try, so I would never be able to eat there unless I was traveling alone. I've noticed that most of the restaurants in the WS will have something on the menu simple and kind of plain that will appeal to picky eaters but I don't see anything like that at Kouzzina. Disney being a family vacation, I don't see a lot of people with kids eating there either....too bad for those folks tired of the same ole same ole:(

MississippiDisneyFreak, I think you're right on the money with your analysis. We ate there in 2012 and although my meal was just good, my wife's was amazing. My daughter, a huge Food Network fan, thought she'd love it. Unfortunately, there was nothing that appealed to her. She hated her meal, as did my DS3. In fact, it's become a joke wih her. All bad meals are compared to Kouzzina's now for her.

Too bad. I'd go back. So would my wife.

Figment!
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Last day of operation for Kouzzina has been confirmed for 9/30/14.

A new dining venue is tentatively scheduled to open in the same location "Late Fall 2014".

Joint Statement from Cat Cora and the Walt Disney World Resort:
After five successful years operating Kouzzina by Cat Cora, we have decided to move on to new opportunities ... We are very appreciative of the amazing Cast Members who made Kouzzina by Cat Cora such a popular destination. Our collaboration has been an incredible adventure and we are very proud of the restaurant we created and the experiences we provided to countless families who enjoyed everything Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. It is our hope to work together again in the future.

AgentC
03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I will miss it. It was our go to breakfast spot when we stayed at Boardwalk. Yummy fig compote French Toast for me and lots of Mickey Waffles for the kids.

SBETigg
03-24-2014, 07:59 PM

I really doubt this, actually. I don't think you have to be adventurous to enjoy Kouzzina, though it certainly doesn't cater to picky. Still, the place was always packed when we were there, as was Spoodles before it. Though, both were always good bets to get last minute reservations so maybe there's something to it. I don't know.

I tend to think it's more that the profit margin was off for Cat Cora to continue. Despite the success of the F & W festival and claims that people see the inebriated everywhere during that time, I think that Disney venues, being very family friendly places, maybe don't make as much money on alcohol sales as might happen in other locations, making it a daunting process to try to break even.

Most restaurants lose money on their food, especially those that feature high end ingredients, but they can usually count on making that up in alcohol sales despite a significant markup. Maybe not so at a place like Kouzzina, which has to compete with the close Epcot restaurants for customers, and people going to the Boardwalk to drink might be saving it for some of the clubs nearby. Plus, Cat Cora's wines were pretty bad. I like wine with dinner, but I would usually pass at Kouzzina. ;) Though the Ouzo was good. Opa!

Kairi_7378
03-24-2014, 11:22 PM

It's my second favorite non Signature, and I am so bummed. My son and husband celebrated their birthdays here one year and got a double Opa. DS was 3 at the time and he loved his meal and watching the kitchen. It will be missed by our family.

Melanie
03-25-2014, 06:48 AM
Not sure why, but I've never had a desire to eat there. Sorry to hear that some of you are upset. Hopefully there will be a good replacement.

RAIDER
03-25-2014, 08:35 AM
We ate there last year and just found it average am sorry to say ..But i did find the place to dark and grey to be honest and for a mediterean themed restaurant was surprised how drab it was inside .
But i hope they replace it ASAP i tend to agree with DVC John it needs a really good counter service there

SurferStitch
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
DH and I don't care for Greek food, so Kouzzina was never on our list of places to try.

The only time we were in the restaurant was one afternoon that we were walking the Boardwalk. Cat Cora was at the restaurant doing meet and greets, so we went inside to meet her and get a pic. She was so friendly (and also soooo petite!!)

purplestarlisa
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm sad to see it go. We ate here on our last vacation and it was a memorable meal - great service, loved the decor, and delicious food. It was the first time I ate calimari - and now I eat it every chance I can get - although not as good as it was there.

TheDuckRocks
03-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Worst meal I have ever had at Disney, from appetizer to entrée to dessert was awful. And the management would not replace anything, my plates returned to the kitchen with only 1 or 2 bites gone and they charged a complete deluxe DDP credit for a meal I couldn't eat. As I was never going to go back, I'm rather glad to see them gone. Maybe something will come in that I like. Now done with venting.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
MississippiDisneyFreak, I think you're right on the money with your analysis. We ate there in 2012 and although my meal was just good, my wife's was amazing. My daughter, a huge Food Network fan, thought she'd love it. Unfortunately, there was nothing that appealed to her. She hated her meal, as did my DS3. In fact, it's become a joke wih her. All bad meals are compared to Kouzzina's now for her.

Too bad. I'd go back. So would my wife.

There is another thread about no love for Garden Grill and the funny thing is my mom thought that menu sounded great and I thought it was too blah so we ruled it out too just for the opposite reasons of Kouzzina.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
I really doubt this, actually. I don't think you have to be adventurous to enjoy Kouzzina, though it certainly doesn't cater to picky. Still, the place was always packed when we were there, as was Spoodles before it. Though, both were always good bets to get last minute reservations so maybe there's something to it. I don't know.

I tend to think it's more that the profit margin was off for Cat Cora to continue. Despite the success of the F & W festival and claims that people see the inebriated everywhere during that time, I think that Disney venues, being very family friendly places, maybe don't make as much money on alcohol sales as might happen in other locations, making it a daunting process to try to break even.

Most restaurants lose money on their food, especially those that feature high end ingredients, but they can usually count on making that up in alcohol sales despite a significant markup. Maybe not so at a place like Kouzzina, which has to compete with the close Epcot restaurants for customers, and people going to the Boardwalk to drink might be saving it for some of the clubs nearby. Plus, Cat Cora's wines were pretty bad. I like wine with dinner, but I would usually pass at Kouzzina. ;) Though the Ouzo was good. Opa!

When I say I am an adventurous eater I am comparing myself to my mom and my son who are both picky eaters. I will try just about any cuisine and there is very little I won't try, they won't even try a lot of things and I think that's the same with a lot of kids.

buzznwoodysmom
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Not sure exactly why, but my family was never interested in eating there. We are a pretty adventurous bunch when it comes to eating. One of my kids favorite things to do in Disney is to spend an afternoon trying new things in the different countries of WS.

We looked at the menu at Kouzzina's a few times and never found enough that convinced us to give it a try. Some other location always won out over this place.

For those of you who will miss it, I hope whatever replaces it turns out to be even better.

Basket Mommy
03-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I never ate at Kouzzina. after looking at the menu, it never appealed to my taste. Frankly what is missing at the Boardwalk is a Quick Service location similar to the food courts in the value resorts. The food at the stands on the boardwalk is barely edible. The ESPN Club and the Big River Brew Works basically sell "Bar Food", The Flying Fish is a high end choice. Other than the small selection at the Boardwalk Bakery there is no true Quick Service.

I totally agree. So does Beach Club. We just returned from our 4th stay at BCV, and I find the quick service there and at Boardwalk to be completely lacking. When I'm exhausted at the end of the day, but I have quick service DDP credits to use, the marketplace food just isn't what I want, and I don't want to have to go all the way around the pool to get food at Hurricane Hanna's, either. I could see my family hopping on the boat to cross the lake to get food at a GOOD quick service location at BWV, though. Or even taking a slow stroll over the bridge. I really wish that Beaches & Cream had offerings that could count as quick service, too.

SBETigg
03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
But the tricky thing with the Boardwalk restaurants is that they also cater to people enjoying the Boardwalk and not just guests of those area resorts. A quick service might be needed for the Boardwalk and the Beach/Yacht Club could use a much better one, too, agreed. But I think they would be better served to make those services internal to the resorts. Make a separate better quick service for the B/Y Clubs. Make one for the Boardwalk. But don't take away prime table service space to do it.

There are already plenty of quick service restaurants at WDW, and so many of them are essentially the same with just a few modifications. Plus, if you had a quick service place there, it would be competing with the carts that make up part of the Boardwalk atmosphere. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that. I would rather see another good table service place that fits with the area atmosphere (which Kouzzina, much as I enjoyed it, perhaps didn't quite do).

PlutoPlanet
03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Sad news. We ate at Kouzzina every year.

#1donaldfan
03-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Wow !! That place didn't last long at all. :confused:

Lindsey310
03-26-2014, 02:54 PM

I feel the exact same way. And with so many dining choices at WDW it was hard for me to even give it a try. Looking forward to seeing what replaces it!! :eat:

Basket Mommy
03-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Wow !! That place didn't last long at all. :confused:

We ate there (our one and only time) in 2010, and I'm pretty sure it had been open at least a year by then. Five years is long enough to decide if it works or not. Some restaurants don't even make it 6 months in the non-WDW world : )

VacationDisney
03-26-2014, 05:51 PM
We will miss this place as we do Spoodles:(

We loved both places. Hope another great restaurant takes over:thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
03-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Guess I am in the minority but I am not sad to see it go at all. We have stayed at the Boardwalk many times. Never cared to eat there, menu never seemed appealing to us, except this past trip in January. Our first and only time there which we determined as soon as we left. We went for breakfast, and while the food was okay (at best)....but for the money and what we received, we were both starving two hours later. I consider us average eaters, we do not over indulge and normally can go with only eating maybe twice a day while on vacation....we ended up eating an early lunch around 11:30 at Tony's in MK....normally we wouldn't have eaten again until dinner time after we have breakfast. It was a little disappointing to say the least.

DisneyGiant
03-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I will miss it. It was our go to breakfast spot when we stayed at Boardwalk. Yummy fig compote French Toast for me and lots of Mickey Waffles for the kids.

That French Toast was DELICIOUS!!!!

This restaurant was one of our "nice to do's" - I didn't think that the food was that adventurous - I can give picky eaters a run for their money!

We were going to eat at the Flying Fish this July - but I think I'll change it to Kouzzina since it will be going away forever.

Opa!

Travis1717
03-29-2014, 07:03 AM
We really enjoyed Kouzzina for breakfast, so this is a huge bummer for me!

angua85
03-29-2014, 08:26 AM
This makes me so sad. This was always our first night meal.

Sue

Figment!
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
The replacement for Kouzzina at Disney's Boardwalk is tentatively scheduled to open December 8, 2014.

From October 1 through December 7,2014; the Flying Fish Cafe will offer a Breakfast seating while the former Kouzzina location is renovated.

First Peek at Trattoria al Forno, New Restaurant for Disney’s BoardWalk

by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer
The Official Disney Parks Blog
July 15th, 2014

With opening planned for December, we’re sharing the first details for Trattoria al Forno, the new restaurant for Disney’s BoardWalk.

A “trattoria” is an Italian restaurant serving simple food, and “al forno” is Italian for “food baked in an oven,” and this new spot will showcase Old World techniques, including handcrafted mozzarella made daily, cavatelli (small dumpling-shaped pasta) and a variety of Neopolitan-style pizzas baked in wood-burning ovens. Neopolitan pizzas, by the way, are pizzas in the classic style of Naples, Italy, with simple tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella.

A beautiful Italian flywheel slicer slices paper-thin Italian meats, served with a variety of olives and caponata. Satisfying pastas, velvety seasonal risottos and fresh seafood and vegetables will celebrate the delectable diversity of Italian cuisine with authentic ingredients and recipes from Italy’s various regions.

Italy is just half the size of Texas but has wonderfully diverse cuisine, and Trattoria al Forno will showcase dishes from Italy’s various regions – for instance, braised beef Bolognese with house-made cavatelli from Bologna, semolina tagliatelli carbonara from Latium (more specifically Rome), pork chop alla Milanese named after the city of Milano. And you’ll find classic Italian favorites: chicken breast alla Parmagiana with tagliatelle pasta; shrimp with garlic, capers and anchovy butter with polenta; whole roasted fish with roasted vegetables; baked lasagna; grilled steak; slow-cooked lamb shank with polenta; and eggplant rollatini.

A seasonal risotto will always be on the menu, and vegetarians will appreciate the ruffled campanelle pasta with green beans, roasted potatoes and Genovese pesto.

Add a classic Italian dessert with an after-dinner cappuccino for a perfect ending. Look for tiramisù, lemon panna cotta with almond crunch and berries, gelatos, and the signature bomboloni (Italian donut holes) with dark chocolate and vanilla gelato.

Wines will be 100 percent Italian from historic wine regions including Tuscany, Veneto and Piedmont, with over 60 offerings by the bottle and more than 25 wines by the glass – Chiantis, Super Tuscans and fine Italian white wines such as Prosecco, Pinot Grigio and Moscato. Signature cocktails and Italian beers and sodas round out the drink menu, with a signature-blend Italian coffee roasted just for Trattoria al forno.

SBETigg
07-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Sounds a lot like Via Napoli. Do we need two? Though, maybe we do. Good pizza is a rarity in the area and good Italian isn't a big Disney specialty, yet. So... keeping an open mind.

kakn7294
07-15-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm sad to see Kouzzina go and even sadder to see it replaced by what sounds exactly like Via Napoli. I likely won't be making a stop there.

Mitzie
07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
From October 1 through December 7,2014; the Flying Fish Cafe will offer a Breakfast seating while the former Kouzzina location is renovated.

Do we know what that breakfast menu might be at this point or if they are taking reservations? We will be at YC the end of October and might be interested in breakfast...

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm sad to see Kouzzina go and even sadder to see it replaced by what sounds exactly like Via Napoli. I likely won't be making a stop there.

I thought the same thing ... we like Via Napoli, but why do we need two? (especially so close together).

Mitzie
07-16-2014, 10:10 AM
I think I have the answer to my own question. On the official WDW website when looking at Flying Fish there is a breakfast menu listed...looks alot like some of the Kouzzina choices.

TheDuckRocks
07-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I can't help but wonder if Trattoria al Forno will be owned by the Patina Restaurant Group. They currently have Tutto Italia and Via Napoi at WDW and run 5 places at Downtown Disney at Disneyland including Naples Ristorante. I did go to their website but there was no mention of any new openings though.