PDA

View Full Version : Time for another East Coast Trip

luvdiznee
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
We will be driving from our Upstate NY area, then onto DC for a few day. After that a visit to the BW in Ocean City for a couple of days, probably Atlantic City as well.

Then we want to go onto NYC from here. Not sure if this will be an easy transition, as we are not sure whether to drop our rental vehicle off in NJ then take a train or bus to NYC? And of course take a train back home. Not sure if this seems a bit much...

Or to just drive into NYC (Ithink I can, I think I can) and just park it and walk from there. I guess it is just that fear of driving in NYC.

Thanks for any info:cloud9:

SBETigg
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
I always park outside the city and take the train in. NYC and Boston are two places I will go out of my way to avoid having to drive. Fortunately, the husband loves driving and he does it when we're Boston bound. NYC, another story. If it's easy enough to take a train home to where you live afterwards, I would ditch the rental and take the train into NYC. There are places to park in the city, but the parking fees are high per day and can really add up.

luvdiznee
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I do like the idea of ditching the car in NJ and getting to NYC by train, then taking a train home.

Anyone have ideas as far as where to get the train from NJ...

SBETigg
03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
There might be closer, better locations, but I've taken it from Convent Station, NJ. It's an hour ride into the city, but the benefit of that stop is that it's right behind the Madison Hotel. We stayed at the hotel, parked the car in the paid lot at the station the next morning, headed to NYC, and returned there to pick up the car after the weekend. It's also in the town where my kids go to college, so we were able to see our kids coming and going, and stay overnight at the hotel before taking the drive home. If you were driving your own car, this might be ideal, but with a rental... You want a station closer to where you could return the rental maybe.

Unless the rental place will pick up the car anywhere, or it's an easy cab ride to the hotel from the rental place. In which case, you could stay a night at the hotel and then just walk over and take the NJ Transit into the city the next morning. So just mentioning this in the event that this is a convenient solution for you, but maybe closer to the city or closer to Atlantic City would work better. Some of our NJ people might have better suggestions.

magicofdisney
03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
My husband has a job assignment in Newark right now so our family is facing a similar situation. In a couple of months we'll all be up there and want to do a day trip in the city. Someone mentioned to him about parking in Hoboken and then taking the train over. I don't yet have details, but if I get more I'll let you know. I'm also interested in what the locals suggest.

SBETigg
03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
My husband has a job assignment in Newark right now so our family is facing a similar situation. In a couple of months we'll all be up there and want to do a day trip in the city. Someone mentioned to him about parking in Hoboken and then taking the train over. I don't yet have details, but if I get more I'll let you know. I'm also interested in what the locals suggest.

Hoboken is cool. I really love Hoboken. Lots of shops and restaurants. I could probably spend a day in Hoboken and not make it to the city. Plus, some great views of Manhattan. They do have parking, not sure where the train is but it would be cheap due to proximity. Parking in Hoboken might be more expensive than in some less urban areas, though, for daytrippers.

Something else to consider in this case is that parking lots fill up fast in areas with lots of commuters. Get there early or plan to maybe not find a space.

magicofdisney
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
A couple of weeks ago we drove over to Hoboken to visit Carlo's Bakery-got parking right in front! :cloud9: We only went for that purpose but it looks like a neat place to explore. You're correct in that the views from there are magnificent. I can hardly wait to go back.

luvdiznee
03-26-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm getting my compass out :secret: because we are actually going to be in Ocean City and onto Atlantic City, so we will be looking to go from there to NYC.

I figure if we go with a company like Hertz it should be do-able.

Thanks for the input.