PDA

View Full Version : CPAP help with irritation and marks

caryrae
03-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I have to use a Cpap and got my first one 2 weeks ago. Since wearing it the bridge of my nose is red and irritated and I get marks on my cheeks from the straps. I have tried loosening the straps but then it leaks. I have seen products on line that you can put on the bridge of nose and some pads that go around the straps to help with marks. Has anyone here had this issue and found something that worked well for them?

BrerGnat
03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Not exactly, but my son uses an orthodontic facemask at night and he had terrible irritation on his chin. I found that a simple strip of 100% cotton fabric between skin and chin cup made the irritation completely vanish. What I used was a simple cloth headband, which I cut into strips. Easy and cheap solution.

caryrae
03-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Sounds like good idea, I'll try that. Thanks

Basket Mommy
03-09-2014, 04:30 PM
The moleskin like you might use to prevent blisters might help as well.

garymacd
03-09-2014, 09:12 PM
I agree with using moleskin. I used it for several weeks until I was able to go without it. As I say, it only took a couple of weeks before I was used to the mask. Use a cortisone type cream to reduce the inflammation in he morning.

Are you using a full mouth and nose mask? I tried one of those after getting my nose repaired (long story short: bike accident) and found it so uncomfortable, sweaty and claustrophobic that I couldn't swallow. Especially while my nose was packed and I couldn't breathe through it.

I have always used (except for the few weeks after surgery) a nasal pillow mask. It is much lighter, less cumbersome and since I am a nose breather, just right for my needs. If you can't get used to the mask you have, check with your supplier. Many have a 30-day return policy. Try different masks until you find one that works for you.

As for the strap marks, my mask came with thin microfibre wraps that go around the silicone parts of the strap that rest on my cheeks. I still have indent marks most mornings but they fade quickly and don't bother me. If you can't get them, use pieces of the moleskin.

As you progress with your treatment, and I can only say - stay with it - you will start to feel better and may find that weight comes off easily. When that happened for me, my cheeks became thinner and the marks became less and less noticeable.

Keep with the treatment! In a few weeks you will feel so much better. I remember waking up one morning thinking, "Is this how people wake up in the morning?"