PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha

hauntedmansiongirl
03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Hello! We are going to WDW with my parents in Sept. We want to surprise them with something a little special. They loved their trip to Hawaii a few years ago and miss going to the luaus. So we thought about taking them to the Spirit of Aloha. However, some reviews I've been reading are awful.:down: Is it really that bad? We have done Hoop Dee Doo before and really liked it, so we could take them there. But we just thought that they would like the Spirit of Aloha- and we've never done it either, so it would be new for us too. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for any help! :balloon:

Cinderelley
03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
I have done this show several times in the past. They changed it several years ago, and I definitely wouldn't do it again now. The show was lame, and the food was terrible.

If you give us a few ideas of what your parents like, maybe we can give you some suggestions. There are quite a few brilliant minds on this message board. :)

DizneyRox
03-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Usually, take thigs you read on the Internet with a grain of salt... However, with respect to SoA, it's all true; it's a horrible show...

TinkerbellT421
03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
I absolutely HATED it. Depending on where you sit to watch the show is the most inconvenient thing ever. Having to crane your neck to the side to see the show all while trying to eat and see past the people next to you. Food was awful. And the whole cow herd way to get there was the most annoying frustrating thing. Has a lot of potential to be a good show and a good experience, but it is done all wrong. I'd spend my time and money else where. Have you been to 'OHana? Not as much of an "entertainment" show with fire twirlers (which was the only good part of the SoA show, which only lasts about five minutes) but I still find 'OHana entertaining and fun and I love the food! I think that might be a nice "touch" of Hawaii for them :thumbsup::mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
03-05-2014, 09:56 AM
We did SOA once, years ago. When I booked it I had a feeling it would be a "one and done" deal so I booked the highest priced tier. We ended up with fabulous seats, front row and center. When looking around I was very happy that we had those seats, don't think I would have enjoyed being seated at some of the back tables.

Other than having great seats we didn't care so much for everything else. LOL. It was a decent show, and my kids (probably around 9 and 7 at the time) enjoyed the show. For the most part we felt the show was very slow at times. The food was just OK. Nothing horrible, but nothing memorable either. I was glad to have experienced it, and I didn't regret spending the extra money on the higher priced tickets. I think had we been seated toward the back I may have used that as an excuse as to why we didn't love it, and we may have booked it again hoping for a better experience. Glad that I know without a doubt that it was a one time experience, know what I mean?? LOL. I don't see us doing this dinner show again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I agree with the previous poster, skip the luaa and go to Ohana's instead.

SurferStitch
03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
We've done both versions of the luau, and we really enjoyed both.

I'm a huge Lilo and Stitch fan, so having some music from the movie was a nice touch. The story is a little schmaltzy, but sweet nontheless. The dancing was beautiful.

We really liked the food. DH and I tend to gravitate toward signature dining (love V&A, Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Flying Fish, etc.), but found the food here to be flavorful and fresh. I can't really complain about anything! We loved the salad with the mango poppyseed dressing, and the veggies and chicken were very good.

We did sit next to several deadbeats that did nothing but whine and complain the entire time, so we just ignored them and had a blast. Luckily we were seated at the very front of the theater in the center. Didn't have to look at the grumps once the show started!! A couple extra glasses of wine helped, too! :blush:

TheVBs
03-06-2014, 07:43 AM
We did this once too and enjoyed it. We haven't opted to go back, but we're glad we tried it. The story for the show is corny, but the dancers are amazing! When we were there the food was really good, we all enjoyed it a lot. We were unfortunately seated at the back and I would agree that diminished the experience. This was before the tiering. I think if you're going to do it, it's worth getting seats in the front.

MyDisneyworld
03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
We did this once and that was enough for us. The show and food we thought was ok and did have a good time. But for the price we could find many better options. Now that we have kids we may go back once with them so they can experience it.
I second the other posters that said go to Ohana's instead. They will really enjoy that and the food is great.
Have a great trip.

Keneva
03-06-2014, 09:14 PM
The SOA fire dancer at the end is awesome. Especially the later show at night. The beer and wine is free all you can drink so if you drink enough you will not mind the rest of the show. We did sit front and center and that made it enjoyable as well. Did I mention the fire dancer? He was awesome! We did Hoopy Doo as well and anyone would like that the first time.:lei::encore:

Davy Crockett
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
The SOA fire dancer at the end is awesome. Especially the later show at night. The beer and wine is free all you can drink so if you drink enough you will not mind the rest of the show. We did sit front and center and that made it enjoyable as well. Did I mention the fire dancer? He was awesome! We did Hoopy Doo as well and anyone would like that the first time.:lei::encore:

We did this on our last visit and I have to agree with Keneva on the fire dancer as for the "free" beer and wine I don't know what planet he/she is coming from as the $200+ dollars I paid to take the family to this definitely wasn't free :unsure: and for the money I would see HDDR which we've gone to several times and thoroughly enjoy.

TinkerbellT421
03-08-2014, 02:37 PM
We did this on our last visit and I have to agree with Keneva on the fire dancer as for the "free" beer and wine I don't know what planet he/she is coming from as the $200+ dollars I paid to take the family to this definitely wasn't free :unsure: and for the money I would see HDDR which we've gone to several times and thoroughly enjoy.

It's only free if you're on the dinning plan.

Scallywag
03-09-2014, 04:39 PM
We've done this twice. We actually liked all the food ( BBQ ribs/chicken with veggies/rice ) it's served on a giant plate " feast style ".
The show has the Big Polynesian muscle bound guys and the pretty hula dancers. The put on a show with these glowing batons that is pretty cool too.
They close it out with the fire twirler - really cool.
The only downer for us was that the show is outdoors and it can be hot. I would much rather sit in some AC to eat dinner. You are also at risk rain messing things up.
If they are into the Hawaiian thing, they would like this show.

Keneva
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM

We drank at least $201 worth of beer & wine plus the meal plus the shown so it "felt" like it was free :) and the beer was cold :beer:. At HDDR (agree with you-thoroughly enjoyed it both times) we only drank about $186 worth of sangria.

mamatedd
03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
We loved this! The food was great, and we loved the show! We never saw the earlier show (obviously favored by many), but I thought the fire dancers were awesome! However, we did pay for prime seating, and I think your experience could be highly affected by where you sit. Have an awesome trip!

#1donaldfan
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Oh my goodness !!! If they enjoyed a real luau, then please, Please, PLEASE do not take them to SOA !! It was horrible. It was so hot that we nerly melted into our overcrowded seats. The food was awful, with the excpetion of the bread. The concept is great, but Disney has yet to pull off a great substitute to a luau within the confines of Florida !!:thedolls:

Davy Crockett
03-12-2014, 03:33 PM
We drank at least $201 worth of beer & wine plus the meal plus the shown so it "felt" like it was free :) and the beer was cold :beer:. At HDDR (agree with you-thoroughly enjoyed it both times) we only drank about $186 worth of sangria.

My kind of group!!! :thumbsup:
And I agree a COLD beer at Disney in the hot weather is worth it's weight in gold!