PDA

View Full Version : Boat rental closure at some resorts.

Patricia
03-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Starting today, March 2nd, 2014. A 3rd-party company that runs the Sea Raycers, mouse boats, and pontoon rentals at Walt Disney World has decided that they will no longer provide these watercraft at rental locations at Port Orleans Riverside, Disney’s Old Key West Resort, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa, and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. Due to under performance the company has decided to no longer operate at these locations. All other rental locations around WDW will still continue to have these watercraft available.

paragon
03-02-2014, 04:20 PM
boooo

DizneyRox
03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
I wasn't aware it was a third party operator. Is that a relatively new thing? Like when they transitioned bell services to a third party?

BrerGnat
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all. The big lakes are much more fun!

Bruegge
03-02-2014, 10:56 PM
I was pretty sure/not surprised it was a 3rd party... no hotel billing... last time I was there.

Nice guys... but not .... well .... Disney CM guys.. You know what I mean??

Bruegge
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
What are the current prices for a racer now???

If they are only available at GF, Poly and Cont. will the price go up, down or stay the same??

Ha, listen to me.... prices go down..... I kill myself :blush:

Davy Crockett
03-05-2014, 12:27 PM
What are the current prices for a racer now???

If they are only available at GF, Poly and Cont. will the price go up, down or stay the same??

Ha, listen to me.... prices go down..... I kill myself :blush:

They are also available at the WL

Having rented the boats as we were growing up and just rented the Sea Raycer during our last visit there is a HUGE difference in the speed or LACK of speed. You're barely able to putter around. You will need the whole hour to make it MK and back. I will not rent them again and I'm sure this is part of the reason for their "under performance" as an operating unit.

Bruegge
03-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Having rented the boats as we were growing up and just rented the Sea Raycer during our last visit there is a HUGE difference in the speed or LACK of speed. You're barely able to putter around. You will need the whole hour to make it MK and back. I will not rent them again and I'm sure this is part of the reason for their "under performance" as an operating unit.

That's too bad ...

In 2002 they flew around... and while I had fun and was careful I must admit... I thought they might be a little too quick for some people (dare I say young/aggressive/stupid drivers) that seem to have the ability to ruin a good thing for everyone.

I wonder if they had accidents/incidents??

I'll miss zipping across the open water....

BrerGnat
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM

There is a tremendous difference in individual boats. Also, weight of the riders makes a HUGE difference. When I rented the sea raycer as a 100lb 18 year old, I FLEW around the lake. When we did it last, it was me and my then 6 year old son...combined rider weight just over 200lbs...and our boat was pretty slow. DH and our 8 year old, however, were FLYING, with a good +30 lbs over what I had in my boat. I think we just got a dud raycer.

Patricia
03-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I have never rented a Sea Raycer so can't comment on speed changes. I do know there was an accident in 2010 in which a Sea Raycer collided with a ferry. A women was seriously injured with fractured ribs and collapsed lung. I'm not sure if the boat speeds were changed at that time or not.

According to some sources there is a trick to it.. You have to hit the throttle full out and lean forward till you reach max speed (22mph). If not, you may only be going around 15-16 mph.

Davy Crockett
03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
There is a tremendous difference in individual boats. Also, weight of the riders makes a HUGE difference. When I rented the sea raycer as a 100lb 18 year old, I FLEW around the lake. When we did it last, it was me and my then 6 year old son...combined rider weight just over 200lbs...and our boat was pretty slow. DH and our 8 year old, however, were FLYING, with a good +30 lbs over what I had in my boat. I think we just got a dud raycer.

I'm sure this has a hand in the speed. As I am not the svelte young adult I was last time we took them out. We were probably topping 235 to 240 pounds combined weight with my 7 year old DD last outing, but we too may have had a less that tuned up boat also. Maybe on this next trip I'll give it one more whirl and see if it's any better.

Now this was a long time ago but do any of you remember the TV commercials that ran showing guest blowing across Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon, jumping other boats wakes and such. This obviously will NEVER happen again due to accidents, but that would be so much fun to do again.

texas211
03-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Well, just another piece of Disney magic down the toilet (like the good ol day's before fast pass+ and the girly sized wristbands).

We rent a boat each time we stay at a POR, and really enjoyed it. Just another reason not to stay at a Disney Resort.