PDA

View Full Version : Which Would You Choose/comments welcome

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Still debating that last WS meal....
I always wanted to do R&C but mom doens't want to, says we can get fish n chips at the quick service. Well, is there anything else there outstanding?

Coral Reef looks fascinating (decor wise), but gets bad reviews, plus mom is allergic to shrimp and crab so we are limited with seafood.

We could both live with La Hacienda, but we eat Mexican all the time and I want something different on vacation. Is there something special about this restaurant?

Tokyo Dining-I love Japenese mom isn't really thrilled about it but says she could eat tempura if she had to, so is this really outstanding and worth it?

We've been debating for months now and in a little more than 2 months I'll be making our ADRs...I am a planner and do not like having all my ducks in a row:( Yes OCD I know

mickclub1955
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I picked Rose and Crown. That is the only place I have eaten in recent history and it is not just fish and chips. I have eaten the Bangers and Mash and my DW has eaten the Shepherd's pie. We really enjoyed it.

buzznwoodysmom
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I picked Coral Reef because the one time we ate there we had a fantastic meal. I ordered a steak which ended up being the best dish on our table. It was very, very good. Everything else was great too but the steak was the stand out dish.

We tried Tokyo Dining once. DH was the only one that liked his meal. The rest of us were less than satisfied and we'll probably not eat there again.

Rose and Crown was good, but nothing special in my opinion. The highlight of our meal was being seated outside with a great view of Illuminations. We had a really great waitress too. The food was good, not great.

Haven't tried La Hacienda yet so I can't comment on that one.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the comments....

SBETigg
02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I really like Tokyo Dining, especially if you get a table overlooking World Showcase. The tempura is really good, so maybe Mom can just deal with it? (Sorry). Your other choices are all also good ones, though. Rose and Crown is so much more than fish and chips, too, so I still think you would enjoy it. If you really want to go, I think you could show your mother the menu and try to talk her into it?

vicster
02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I would do Germany

Disney4us2
02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
I voted for Tokyo Dining. It is one of our favorites and they have a variety of items. Another one that is not on your list is Chef De France. We ate there in August and it was one of our best meals.

disneymom15
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
I agree with Disney 4 Us, Chef De France.
Otherwise, Rose and Crown or Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
I voted for Tokyo Dining. It is one of our favorites and they have a variety of items. Another one that is not on your list is Chef De France. We ate there in August and it was one of our best meals.

We've eaten there twice so we want to try something new....Thanks for the vote

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
I would do Germany

We've done Germany and it was fun, but we want something different:mickey:

#1donaldfan
02-19-2014, 12:25 PM
I voted Tokyo Dinning !! Great atmosphere and great food.....:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
I really like Tokyo Dining, especially if you get a table overlooking World Showcase. The tempura is really good, so maybe Mom can just deal with it? (Sorry). Your other choices are all also good ones, though. Rose and Crown is so much more than fish and chips, too, so I still think you would enjoy it. If you really want to go, I think you could show your mother the menu and try to talk her into it?

I want to really bad, but she's so picky. If it were all up to me we'd be at R&C from the beginning. She keeps talking me out of it, I don't even think she looked at the menu, she just thinks she would order fish n chips anyway and it would be a waste of a TS for her...that's why I asked for comments I'm hoping for some endorsements on other dishes but if that doesn't happen I'll go with the high score anyway I'm tired of trying to decide. I'm giving it two weeks and it will be done:humph: I know I'm planning to death but this is my dream trip, my first adult trip tailored for me and mom instead of my son and I probably won't get another one like this so I want to be happy but that means we both need to be happy with the choices:D

SurferStitch
02-19-2014, 12:38 PM
I voted La Hacienda.

DH and I ate there for the first time this past December, and we were blown away by just how good it was!

I had the best margarita ever... the Rosita! Amazing! DH had the Mango Blueberry Basil margarita.... also amazing!! We each had 2!!

Even the chips and salsa they served before the meal were excellent. There were two salsas to try (mild and hot), and we demolished both.

We got an appetizer, although we were regretting that after we couldn't begin to finish our main course! It was the Queso Fundido - Melted Cheese with poblano peppers, chorizo and flour tortillas. It was ALL cheese, and soooooo yummy!!!

The food and service were both fantastic. We got the Parrillada - Del Mar. It serves 2 people, and has a mixed grill offering of mahi mahi, shrimp, scallops and vegetables. It also had beans, tortillas, fresh salsa, sour cream and some other delicious cream sauce. The scallops were huge and perfectly seared. The shrimp were also huge and plump, and the mahi was fantastic!

They didn't take our TiW card, but we didn't care by the end of the meal. We were so thrilled with everything, that it was worth the cost!

rjmdds
02-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Rose and Crown during Illuminations on the patio!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I voted La Hacienda.

DH and I ate there for the first time this past December, and we were blown away by just how good it was!

I had the best margarita ever... the Rosita! Amazing! DH had the Mango Blueberry Basil margarita.... also amazing!! We each had 2!!

Even the chips and salsa they served before the meal were excellent. There were two salsas to try (mild and hot), and we demolished both.

We got an appetizer, although we were regretting that after we couldn't begin to finish our main course! It was the Queso Fundido - Melted Cheese with poblano peppers, chorizo and flour tortillas. It was ALL cheese, and soooooo yummy!!!

The food and service were both fantastic. We got the Parrillada - Del Mar. It serves 2 people, and has a mixed grill offering of mahi mahi, shrimp, scallops and vegetables. It also had beans, tortillas, fresh salsa, sour cream and some other delicious cream sauce. The scallops were huge and perfectly seared. The shrimp were also huge and plump, and the mahi was fantastic!

They didn't take our TiW card, but we didn't care by the end of the meal. We were so thrilled with everything, that it was worth the cost!

sounds good

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Really surprised so far how the poll is going:confused:

mdricks
02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I picked my third choice Rose and Crown.

If your mom has a shellfish allergy i would stay away from Tokyo (my 1st choice) and Reef (my 2nd). We had a great meal at reef last time I was there. I eat at Tokyo every trip because I love sushi.

I have a food allergy and I have always been more comfortable going places that i know i will not be taking a risk. I guess you could insure the vege tempura is fried in a different vat than the shrimp but if you are like me you would spend an hour worring about it until you were certain you were ok.

There is more to R&C than fish and chips. Also to sit by the water is very nice. (There are also car bombs and black and tans but that’s a different crowd :D)

:number1:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 04:13 PM
I picked my third choice Rose and Crown.

If your mom has a shellfish allergy i would stay away from Tokyo (my 1st choice) and Reef (my 2nd). We had a great meal at reef last time I was there. I eat at Tokyo every trip because I love sushi.

I have a food allergy and I have always been more comfortable going places that i know i will not be taking a risk. I guess you could insure the vege tempura is fried in a different vat than the shrimp but if you are like me you would spend an hour worring about it until you were certain you were ok.

There is more to R&C than fish and chips. Also to sit by the water is very nice. (There are also car bombs and black and tans but that’s a different crowd :D)

:number1:

I had just about ruled out Coral Reef, I hadn't really thought about Tokyo Dining but I guess they do have a lot of seafood. Normally, Disney does good with the allergies so I'm not so worried about that but it might give her less to choose from so that's something to think about I guess

buzznwoodysmom
02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
We have two with seafood allergies in our party (DH and DS) and we had no issues at either Coral Reef or Tokyo Dining.

I am surprised at the outcome of the poll so far too. Tokyo Dining may have been my least favorite WS restaurant of all. Can't believe so many would vote for it. I much prefer Teppan Edo, which is in the same building.

And to add a bit to your mom's concerns about Rose and Crown. While we had a decent meal, I did kind of feel it was a wasted TS credit when comparing it to other WS restaurants. However, since we wish to one day have tried all the WS restaurants we didn't mind this too much. But I can see your mom's concerns. And by the way only my nephew ordered Fish N Chips, the rest of our party ordered a variety of items from the menu, so there is definitely more than just Fish N Chips.

Mousemates
02-19-2014, 04:28 PM
of the available choices I went with Rose and Crown for the overall enjoyablity and value of the meal....not a big fan Disney Mexican (way overpriced) or the Coral Reef...and havent done Tokyo. We've eaten at Rose and Crown a couple of itmes and enjoyed our food and dining expeirence (thou it can be a bit on the loud side depending upon where you are seated).

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-19-2014, 05:08 PM
We have two with seafood allergies in our party (DH and DS) and we had no issues at either Coral Reef or Tokyo Dining.

I am surprised at the outcome of the poll so far too. Tokyo Dining may have been my least favorite WS restaurant of all. Can't believe so many would vote for it. I much prefer Teppan Edo, which is in the same building.

And to add a bit to your mom's concerns about Rose and Crown. While we had a decent meal, I did kind of feel it was a wasted TS credit when comparing it to other WS restaurants. However, since we wish to one day have tried all the WS restaurants we didn't mind this too much. But I can see your mom's concerns. And by the way only my nephew ordered Fish N Chips, the rest of our party ordered a variety of items from the menu, so there is definitely more than just Fish N Chips.

I just thought about something....the Food and Wine Festival will be going on to, if we can get good apps from one of the booths might make the decision easier, think I'll take a look at last years offerings.

buzznwoodysmom
02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
I just thought about something....the Food and Wine Festival will be going on to, if we can get good apps from one of the booths might make the decision easier, think I'll take a look at last years offerings.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you would be there for Food and Wine. I think I would pass on a TS meal in Epcot altogether! LOL.

I have never been for F&W (would love to one day), but we love snacking through WS for lunch. We never book any ADRs for lunch in Epcot. And there was one trip we didn't book any ADRs for dinner either. We just spent the day snacking as we went and it was super fun! That's what I would definitely do if we went during F&W.

PETE FROM NYC
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Our faves in WS is Germany, and Tepan Edo.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize you would be there for Food and Wine. I think I would pass on a TS meal in Epcot altogether! LOL.

I have never been for F&W (would love to one day), but we love snacking through WS for lunch. We never book any ADRs for lunch in Epcot. And there was one trip we didn't book any ADRs for dinner either. We just spent the day snacking as we went and it was super fun! That's what I would definitely do if we went during F&W.

That's exactly what we'll do for lunch on our days at Epcot graze our way through the FW booths.

This dinner ressie is for a free evening we have I think after our AK day and since we are staying at the BC I decided we definitely would eat at Epcot/I already checked the BC, YC and BW and nothing appealed to me. We already will be eating breakfast at Cape May. I was looking at last year's FW selections so and they had a Japan pavilion that had sushi, so now I am second guessing Tokyo Dining....

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Our faves in WS is Germany, and Tepan Edo.

We really liked Germany but we wanted something new, she isn't into Hibachi so if we did Japanese it would have to be Tokyo Dining where she can get tempura.

Its funny because my mom and son are both picky eaters...but their taste's are completely opposite....my son loves anything Japanese, mom isn't thrilled about it at all...previous trips we've had to work around both of them to find something to make everyone happy.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

BTW, what were your faves? I know a lot of the offerings stay the same from year to year, was wondering what to avoid and what's a not to miss:confused::blush:

yjgirl32
02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
I didn't only because I like both Rose and Crown and Coral Reef.

We ate at Rose and Crown mainly because we wanted to watch Illuminations- which was an awesome seat. I was pleasantly surprised how much we liked the food- I do not eat fish.

I also really like Coral Reef. Again I'm not a big seafood eater. I ordered steak which my ds ate most of- he ordered the chicken which I really liked too. We eat at Coral Reef for the big fish tank and now it has become our one tradition that we do.

Good luck.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
I didn't only because I like both Rose and Crown and Coral Reef.

We ate at Rose and Crown mainly because we wanted to watch Illuminations- which was an awesome seat. I was pleasantly surprised how much we liked the food- I do not eat fish.

I also really like Coral Reef. Again I'm not a big seafood eater. I ordered steak which my ds ate most of- he ordered the chicken which I really liked too. We eat at Coral Reef for the big fish tank and now it has become our one tradition that we do.

Good luck.

I'm suprised how far behind Coral Reef is on the vote/not suprised to see everything else so close though. If you don't eat fish and were pleased with your meal, maybe she can find something at one of those two/this is getting any easier still :confused:

Janmac
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
I picked Tokyo Dining because the dining room is much quieter than Coral Reef. I prefer seafood so order some sort of fish at either place. We have pretty well decided to remove Coral Reef from the list for awhile because of the noise level. My cousin's DH has a shellfish allergy but he was fine eating at Tokyo Dining. We had noted the allergy on the reservation. I had salmon at Tokyo Dining.

We have not eaten at Rose & Crown in a number of trips, mostly due to the feeling of tables being too close together. (This also bothered us about San Angel Inn in Mexico.) Also, some of our favorites had departed when there was a menu change.

We have not had a chance to try La Hacienda yet.

Probably one of our most favorite restaurants is Marrakesh at Morocco. At this restaurant I like the lemon chicken if I'm ordering an entrée. Otherwise I go for an appetizer (seafood bastille) and dessert (again, bastilla). My picky niece loves the shish kebabs while my sister enjoys a lamb dish.

Jan

tinksmom02
02-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I didn't vote and my comments probably won't help you any :confused: If Mom is a picky eater I would guess it might be easier for her to find something she likes at Coral Reef. However, if I were making the ADR, out of your choices, I think I"d choose Rose & Crown.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I picked Tokyo Dining because the dining room is much quieter than Coral Reef. I prefer seafood so order some sort of fish at either place. We have pretty well decided to remove Coral Reef from the list for awhile because of the noise level. My cousin's DH has a shellfish allergy but he was fine eating at Tokyo Dining. We had noted the allergy on the reservation. I had salmon at Tokyo Dining.

We have not eaten at Rose & Crown in a number of trips, mostly due to the feeling of tables being too close together. (This also bothered us about San Angel Inn in Mexico.) Also, some of our favorites had departed when there was a menu change.

We have not had a chance to try La Hacienda yet.

Probably one of our most favorite restaurants is Marrakesh at Morocco. At this restaurant I like the lemon chicken if I'm ordering an entrée. Otherwise I go for an appetizer (seafood bastille) and dessert (again, bastilla). My picky niece loves the shish kebabs while my sister enjoys a lamb dish.

Jan

Funny how people's tastes range, we did not like Marrakesh. Thanks for the info:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I didn't vote and my comments probably won't help you any :confused: If Mom is a picky eater I would guess it might be easier for her to find something she likes at Coral Reef. However, if I were making the ADR, out of your choices, I think I"d choose Rose & Crown.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just pick something and hope it works out. :blush:

buzznwoodysmom
02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
BTW, what were your faves? I know a lot of the offerings stay the same from year to year, was wondering what to avoid and what's a not to miss:confused::blush:

We have never been for F&W. When I say we have "snacked around WS", I am talking about the regular WS restaurants, not the Food and Wine booths. Sorry for any confusion.

VacationDisney
02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Could not decide between Coral Reef , which I voted for and Rose & Crown , which I was unable to vote for.

Both places have wonderful choices and the atmosphere at Coral Reef is really nice:thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm not surprised that Coral Reef isn't getting more votes. Like Chefs de France (which I love), it's one of those up and down places. Sometimes, really good. Other days, so bad. It gets very mixed reviews due to extreme inconsistency. If you hit it on the right day, lucky you. But the atmosphere is always cool, though it can be loud.

My F & W favorites, France, Hawaii, Japan, Ireland, Canada, Belgium, Mexico... well okay, very many of them. But it's fun to try everything and even the ones that aren't my favorites (Germany, Poland) have been worth it. The only one that ever really let me down was the lobster roll near the American pavilion. Very rubbery, fishy lobster.

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
I picked Tokyo Dining too. The sushi is very fresh and you will not find better service anywhere in the World Showcase, all of Disney World, as a matter of fact. As far as food, beside the tempura options, they have beef and chicken entrees on the menu. In fact, we were told on one of our previous meals there that you can get anything that's on Teppan Edo's menu too (and vice versa). So that should open up a few other tasty options for your mom.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 07:43 PM
We have never been for F&W. When I say we have "snacked around WS", I am talking about the regular WS restaurants, not the Food and Wine booths. Sorry for any confusion.

No problems

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not surprised that Coral Reef isn't getting more votes. Like Chefs de France (which I love), it's one of those up and down places. Sometimes, really good. Other days, so bad. It gets very mixed reviews due to extreme inconsistency. If you hit it on the right day, lucky you. But the atmosphere is always cool, though it can be loud.

My F & W favorites, France, Hawaii, Japan, Ireland, Canada, Belgium, Mexico... well okay, very many of them. But it's fun to try everything and even the ones that aren't my favorites (Germany, Poland) have been worth it. The only one that ever really let me down was the lobster roll near the American pavilion. Very rubbery, fishy lobster.

Just watched a video of 2013 F&W so excited now

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 07:45 PM
I picked Tokyo Dining too. The sushi is very fresh and you will not find better service anywhere in the World Showcase, all of Disney World, as a matter of fact. As far as food, beside the tempura options, they have beef and chicken entrees on the menu. In fact, we were told on one of our previous meals there that you can get anything that's on Teppan Edo's menu too (and vice versa). So that should open up a few other tasty options for your mom.

Cool thanks

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Mom and I were just talking. She said let's eat where you want I'll find something to eat wherever we go! Whoohoo, always wanted to eat at Rose and Crown I am so excited. Thanks for the help I think it's finally settled:)

Crow
02-20-2014, 11:04 PM
everytime I go TD has great service. That's why I eat there every trip, along with good sushi and sake

SBETigg
02-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Mom and I were just talking. She said let's eat where you want I'll find something to eat wherever we go! Whoohoo, always wanted to eat at Rose and Crown I am so excited. Thanks for the help I think it's finally settled:)

Sticky Toffee Pudding! So good. I also love the Scotch Egg. I usually end up getting the steak and fish but it's honestly not the best steak. I love the Bangers and Mash, but it's only on the lunch menu now. The salmon looks good, if you're into that. The servers are very willing to chat about their home region, which is a delight for anglophiles. Enjoy!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Sticky Toffee Pudding! So good. I also love the Scotch Egg. I usually end up getting the steak and fish but it's honestly not the best steak. I love the Bangers and Mash, but it's only on the lunch menu now. The salmon looks good, if you're into that. The servers are very willing to chat about their home region, which is a delight for anglophiles. Enjoy!

I want to try the scotch egg and the sticky toffee pudding !

motherhamv
02-22-2014, 03:21 PM
We have eaten at the Coral Reef before, it is interesting from a décor point of view. However, we like eating at The Land most of all. We have also gone out the side gate to eat at Cape May in the BYCR.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-22-2014, 06:17 PM
We love Rose & Crown.

I don't eat fish, so there is definitely more than fish & chips to choose from!

We've always had excellent service, good food, the servers are super friendly and it makes for a great viewing locations for Illuminations (at dinner) or a super place for a break from the parks at lunch.

DH loves the beer selections and the imperial pints!