PDA

View Full Version : Looks like they finally got new refillable mugs!

buzznwoodysmom
02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I see that there are new resort rapid refill mugs. Looks like Mickey and Minnie are checking in to their resort, and goofy is a bellhop pushing a cart with Donald hung on a hanger. I guess it's cute, but wouldn't have been my choice of design. The mugs also appear to come in at least 4 different colors, purple, red, yellow, and blue.

Wish I could post the link, but I don't think it's allowed. And I have no idea how to post a pic.

etibbetts
02-18-2014, 11:48 AM
That's great news! I like having different designs in my mug collection. Can't wait to see pictures of them.

JerseyDad
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
.......wonder how long before the masses cry out: "I can't wait for MY opportunity to drop $18 bucks on the newly designed plastic mug" ...??

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Funny thing is, I spent the day off yesterday, moving shelves from our basement to what used to be our small formal dining room, now an office. One of the shelves had several of our old Disney refillable mugs. Oldest one said Port Orleans French Quarter and had the alligator on it, must have been circa 1996 or so, kind of the barrel shaped ones. Next oldest one was from CBR and had the resort name on it, probably '98 or so. The other ones were all the non-resort specific ones.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
.......wonder how long before the masses cry out: "I can't wait for MY opportunity to drop $18 bucks on the newly designed plastic mug" ...??

Last time I took a cruise, 5-6 years ago on Royal Caribbean, it was $40 for their version of the refillable mug, so one of the few times Disney can say they are cheaper!

Our last visit the mugs were included as part of the free dining, so it wasn't an issue or debate for us. If we had to pay oop, probably wouldn't get any, or one at most for me, as I do make frequent use of it throughout the day, and not just at breakfast.

Are they up to $18 now? Last time I thought it was around $12, not that that is any better.

JerseyDad
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Last time I took a cruise, 5-6 years ago on Royal Caribbean, it was $40 for their version of the refillable mug, so one of the few times Disney can say they are cheaper!

Our last visit the mugs were included as part of the free dining, so it wasn't an issue or debate for us. If we had to pay oop, probably wouldn't get any, or one at most for me, as I do make frequent use of it throughout the day, and not just at breakfast.

Are they up to $18 now? Last time I thought it was around $12, not that that is any better.

....for a stay that's ( I think ) greater than 4 days ....it's $17.99.

......I believe it's $9 for one day ....$12 for two days ...and $14 for three day stay.

.....insane ...to say the least

vicster
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Ours was included free with the dining plan last October

magicofdisney
02-18-2014, 02:52 PM
When we checked into POR in November, with free dining and included mugs, the CM pulled random mugs from a box under the register. They wouldn't allow us to choose our own color until I made a comment. She was snotty about it, as if I had no right to make the selection myself. It appeared I wasn't the first customer unhappy with HER choices for OUR mugs! :confused:

buzznwoodysmom
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
While the price may seem insane to some, I honestly don't think it's such a bad price.

We often get glasses, coffee mugs, and even "plastic mugs/cups" from the places we travel. I think pricing between $12-20 is pretty much the norm in most places we have traveled. At least in Disney you get to use it for free refills at your resort, then it becomes a souvenir. At the cost of purchasing fountain drinks spread over a week long vacation, I don't think it's all that bad a price.

buzznwoodysmom
02-18-2014, 02:55 PM
When we checked into POR in November, with free dining and included mugs, the CM pulled random mugs from a box under the register. They wouldn't allow us to choose our own color until I made a comment. She was snotty about it, as if I had no right to make the selection myself. It appeared I wasn't the first customer unhappy with HER choices for OUR mugs! :confused:

That stinks. We also stayed at POR in November with free dining. We had a group of 25 and of course everyone had a color preference. Our poor CM was very patient with us and our ever changing minds. LOL. Sorry you had a bad CM.

Bruegge
02-18-2014, 03:02 PM

I thought I was the only one...LOL

Bruegge
02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
While the price may seem insane to some, I honestly don't think it's such a bad price.

We often get glasses, coffee mugs, and even "plastic mugs/cups" from the places we travel. I think pricing between $12-20 is pretty much the norm in most places we have traveled. At least in Disney you get to use it for free refills at your resort, then it becomes a souvenir. At the cost of purchasing fountain drinks spread over a week long vacation, I don't think it's all that bad a price.

These only work at the hotel right?

You can't use them at the park can you??

I wouldn't want to carry 4 sticky mugs around all day anyway

buzznwoodysmom
02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
These only work at the hotel right?

You can't use them at the park can you??

I wouldn't want to carry 4 sticky mugs around all day anyway

No you can't use them in the parks.
And I agree with you, I can't see carrying around 4 sticky mugs all day. LOL. But I see plenty of people doing it every time.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-18-2014, 04:36 PM

Odd - we were stayed at POR in December 2012 and if I recall correctly they had a stand alone cart or display tree that had all the mugs displayed. They had security straps on them, so you'd bring them up, pay (or get them vouchered for free if you were on the ddp) and the CM would cut the strap. There definitely was no "box under the register".

Melanie
02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Odd - we were stayed at POR in December 2012 and if I recall correctly they had a stand alone cart or display tree that had all the mugs displayed. They had security straps on them, so you'd bring them up, pay (or get them vouchered for free if you were on the ddp) and the CM would cut the strap. There definitely was no "box under the register".

I would guess they are a little more 'guarded' now since going with the RFID refillable system.

TinkerbellT421
02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
I would guess they are a little more 'guarded' now since going with the RFID refillable system.

Not really. They still have them out but they are not activated so you can't use them anyway. We were able to pick ours out of the same "tree" type stand at the beach club in January. And what a horror story that is....:thedolls:

Melanie
02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Not really. They still have them out but they are not activated so you can't use them anyway. We were able to pick ours out of the same "tree" type stand at the beach club in January. And what a horror story that is....:thedolls:

I don't know then. lol

steamboat willy
02-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Year after year after year, Our Family has ALWAYS picked our own Mug Color Choice. The Mugs at Allstar Music are out on a stand BEFORE we got to the Check-Out Cashier. Grandsons Fav is Green, DW is Blue and Mine is Orange when available, then I'll take Black for the Man Cub.

buzznwoodysmom
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
I can confirm that during our November trip at Riverside they did not have the mugs out on display. You had to get them from one of the cashier CMs in the food court. Not sure why. Every where else we have stayed the mugs have been on a display shelf.

#1donaldfan
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I can confirm that during our November trip at Riverside they did not have the mugs out on display. You had to get them from one of the cashier CMs in the food court. Not sure why. Every where else we have stayed the mugs have been on a display shelf.

Every visit we've had, the mugs were out in the open for us to grab. Like said earlier, the CM at the register would cut the strap and away we'd go......:cool:

SurferStitch
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
We paid OOP for one mug on our last trip in December 2013. Since we purchased the TiW card, we got 20% off the mug price (at AoA food court). I was surprised they did that, but I looked and the receipt, and sure enough, it rang up 20% off!!

Well worth the money, even at $17.99.

Crow
02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
glad they changed the design. when I was there in Dec it was the same design but on the new system. Ill b there starting March 2 so guess I will get a new one..

Melanie
02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Seems like they haven't rolled out at every resort yet. They are still trying to sell through the old inventory. As of last night, I do know it's still the old mug at POP, AoA and WL.

Cindy (AgentC) did get a pic of the new design at the refill station though. Thanks Cindy! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/21/e7ehuqeg.jpg

Sylvia
02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the photo of the new design.

Here's hoping the old inventory is gone and the new design is finally available at POP in May. I already have 6 "pool scene" mugs and I'd really love a new design. :mickey:

AgentC
02-22-2014, 07:46 PM
They fully transitioned to the new mugs at Wilderness Lodge to day. I'm sure if the others resorts haven't they will very soon.

texas211
03-15-2014, 08:42 PM

But I think that is part of the problem. It is a poor souvenir as they are just generic, cheap mugs. Too small to use back at home, and flimsy. Plus, doesn't say anything on it. No resort markings, or even Disney World. Just a bad image of some characters.

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2014, 12:00 AM
But I think that is part of the problem. It is a poor souvenir as they are just generic, cheap mugs. Too small to use back at home, and flimsy. Plus, doesn't say anything on it. No resort markings, or even Disney World. Just a bad image of some characters.

I don't know....We still use some from as far back as 2008(maybe older) and they have held up very well. I don't find them to be flimsy at all, and I always wash them in the dishwasher. I don't think they are too small for use at home either, not sure how much more liquid I would want to drink at one time. Lol.

I do agree about the picture. I would definitely pick something else for the images on the mugs.

For my family the mugs are probably the most used items we bring back from Disney. So it's worth the price for me.