PDA

View Full Version : Monorail closures

epceddie
02-18-2014, 01:46 AM
We were at WDW Feb. 10-16 and the monorail was closed weekdays from 11:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. and I think it was for maintenance reasons.
But, using our car and the boat transportation while we were there, we got good looks at the loops the monorail uses for the MK express and the resorts and we never saw any kind of work being done.
Does anyone have any more info about this? I would hate to think that Disney would do something like that as a cost-cutting measure.

Strmchsr
02-18-2014, 07:37 AM
The monorail closures are for construction being done with the new Poly DVC. It's not work being done on the lines, but being done around the monorail lines that isn't safe to do with the monorail running.

Basket Mommy
02-18-2014, 08:30 AM
I had to call to rework some of my FastPass+ selections last week (the website was SO SLOW!) I booked tea at the GF for one of the days we'll be at the MK, so I asked the CM on the phone the best way to get from MK to GF if the Monorail is down. At first he seemed perplexed, but then I said, "Isn't it down right now?" and he seemed to get what I was saying. He said, "Oh, you'll be here during a very busy time (Mar 16-21). They'll be running it then for sure."

So, I don't know if they're doing it on purpose or not. The way he said that made me think they are purposefully not running it, but I could understand if construction at the Poly had something to do with it. But I they built the entire GF DVC without much Monorail service interruption, so who knows?!? And if they're definitely going to be running it during peak seasons, then is it really down due to construction? Would they just halt construction during peak seasons? It's possible I got a clueless CM, but he was pretty "in the know" about other stuff I asked him.

DizneyRox
02-18-2014, 10:10 AM
They typically do plan around crowds. They won't halt construction, but rather plan around it, doing work after hours, etc.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a cost cutting measure in some capacity, but I don't think so. They are probably demolishing things now and don't need errant bits hitting moving trains, etc. and while it not gave been happening every moment, it's a lot easier to schedule down time and just let construction happen as needed. Disney doesn't want to schedule monorail drivers and have to pay them for nothing.

And that guy in the phone could have been miles and miles from WDW. The call center is not on property last I heard. I think they are along the coast if I recall right...

Strmchsr
02-18-2014, 10:15 AM
And not running the monorail isn't a cost cutting measure at all. They have to pay extra bus drivers and ferry & boat pilots (not just to the TTC but to the resorts as well), it costs extra for fuel for buses and ferrys, and it costs guests being irritated at the slower transportation. Running the monorail is actually their most cost-effective means of transporting guests around the Magic Kingdom area.

VWL Mom
02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
But I they built the entire GF DVC without much Monorail service interruption, so who knows?!?

There were similar closings while they were working on VGF. There were a few weeks in March and maybe early May if I remember correctly.

epceddie
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the great replies. It was just something I was wondering about, because riding the monorails is always one of the most enjoyable parts of our vacations.