PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair or Stroller?

Piglet1*
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
We leave for WDW in 10 days. For the last 3 months my 8 yr. old has been dealing with an inflammatory disease in her ankle which means it's extremely swollen and she limps. She can walk on it, but not for long periods of time or long distances. I am debating on if we should rent a wheelchair or if one of the Disney strollers would be big enough? She weighs about 75 pounds. I've also seen some stroller rental companies that deliver to the hotel. They do have strollers that will accommodate her weight, but I don't know if I want to mess with hauling it on and off the bus. But then I'm also worried about the limited availability of wheelchairs & strollers for rent at the parks. She's not crazy about the stroller since she's 8, and since you don't notice right away that she has a problem she feels like people will make fun of her being in a stroller. I feel like it might be easier to deal with than a wheelchair. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who's had to deal with a similar issue on which might be the best option.

shellyb627
02-15-2014, 06:45 AM
I think your daughter will be too large for the strollers that they offer at WDW. I have a child who uses a wheelchair. The type you can rent from the company may be the special needs baby jogger brand? those have a huge front and depending how crowded the park is can become a pain. Your best bet may be to rent right at the park if you dont want to deal with the chair on and off the buses. We have to rent a car becuase we find dealing with the buses, trams, etc. unbearable with his chair daily when we visit.. Good luck!

TheDuckRocks
02-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I have never seen a time that there is not wheelchair availability at the parks, they seem to have lots of them.
Another thought, I haven't heard this discussed in a while, but it used to be if you are staying at a Disney resort they have limited numbers of wheelchairs available Free! You can keep it for your stay. If it were me I'd called down to the resort directly and ask.
Renting one from an outside source you would be able to get one that is smaller for her size.
I would not worry about the busses, the drivers are great about helping you.

kakn7294
02-15-2014, 12:52 PM
When my niece was about that same age, she got sick on a trip and tired easily (it turns out that she had the flu). My sister rented a double stroller and she rode in that quite a bit of the time. However, it was a bit of a tight fit (she's tall) and I think a wheelchair might have been more comfortable. You can check with the medical equipment rental companies on renting a wheelchair for your length of stay but you'd have to get that on and off of the buses.

steamboat willy
02-15-2014, 02:57 PM
I think your 8 year old daughter would feel more comfortable in a wheel chair instead of a stroller. She would ride down low without being able to see well in a stroller like she can from a wheelchair. You may want to check into outside cheaper wheelchair rentals and they will even deliver to your resort. Enjoy your trip!:cool:

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Although wheelchairs will always be available at the parks (we've even rented them very late in the afternoon/evening), you may want to rent one from an off-site company.

Then, you'd be able to use it at the resort, in the parking lot, etc. AND you may be able to get a smaller chair more suited to her size. It would also be cheaper. :)

Don't count on getting one from the resort, they are in very limited numbers, and usually not in the best shape (at least in my experience).

Terra
02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm in the same predicament even for day trips. He's too big for conventional strollers. And the double jogger that I do have that works is a pain to push.

Because of his special needs he tires out easily and fatigues fast/overheats fast.

How much is it to rent just a push wheelchair. I don't like the hard strollers.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
From Disney they are $12/day or $10 if renting for multiple days at the same time.

For off site companies, the best price we could find was $50 for the first 3 days, and then $5 a day for each additional day.

Terra
02-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Oh that's not bad now! Thank you! I agree that sometimes it makes me sad to have to do it because I know people are looking and judging. Like the above poster, He does good and then just wants to collapse. Muscle tone is low, etc.

LVT
04-18-2014, 07:28 PM
I also think the child sized wheelchair from the rental place would work well. WDW is exhausting and she will last a lot longer.