PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Winter Olympics

DizneyFreak2002
02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Tonight starts the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia... But am I missing something? There are events being broadcast, on tape delay, tonight on NBC... Um, what happened to the opening ceremony? I thought I read the opening ceremony is tomorrow night, but that doesn't make sense to me... Did I miss something? LOL...

Anyway, go USA!!!! :number1:

AgentC
02-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I have no idea why but the report I read said that figure skating, free style skiing and snowboarding are all starting before the opening ceremonies and that it is the first time events have started before the ceremonies. The article didn't say why.

The ceremonies take place tomorrow at 11 am EST and will be broadcast at night on NBC.

DizneyFreak2002
02-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I have no idea why but the report I read said that figure skating, free style skiing and snowboarding are all starting before the opening ceremonies and that it is the first time events have started before the ceremonies. The article didn't say why.

The ceremonies take place tomorrow at 11 am EST and will be broadcast at night on NBC.

That's a change up isn't it? I don't recall the 2012 Summer Olympics doing that... Interesting... Thanks Cindy... I thought I was going crazy LOL... Well, I am but that is another story.. :)

GAN
02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Three reasons:
1) Scheduling -they've added 12 events since 2010, one being the team figure skating.
2) Television -adds one more day of telecasts on one of the best TV nights(Thursday).
3) Money - 1+2=3

Hammer
02-06-2014, 11:32 PM
3) Money - 1+2=3

We have a winner :D !!!

As someone who has been working on some of the on-line features for these Winter Olympics for the last 3 months, I'm ready for them to be done :razz:. I also get to be on call 24/7 for the length of the Olympics should there be issues viewing the Olympics on line, as I need to coordinate members of my team to test the correction.

:rings::flag:

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2014, 08:08 AM
We have a winner :D !!!

As someone who has been working on some of the on-line features for these Winter Olympics for the last 3 months, I'm ready for them to be done :razz:. I also get to be on call 24/7 for the length of the Olympics should there be issues viewing the Olympics on line, as I need to coordinate members of my team to test the correction.

:rings::flag:

EEK! I don't envy you on that one!!! I can only imagine how much you are waiting for this to be over lol!!

On a quick side note, is anyone else a little disheartened with how much of a catastrophe Russia has made out of the Olympics this year??
Everyday I see another story about how they weren't prepared, etc. I am actually concerned with all the stories and the lack of security (or though it sounds like)...

Scar
02-07-2014, 08:59 AM
:curling: 3 more days! :curling:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-07-2014, 09:59 AM
EEK! I don't envy you on that one!!! I can only imagine how much you are waiting for this to be over lol!!

On a quick side note, is anyone else a little disheartened with how much of a catastrophe Russia has made out of the Olympics this year??
Everyday I see another story about how they weren't prepared, etc. I am actually concerned with all the stories and the lack of security (or though it sounds like)...

I think it might be a warm up for the 2016 summer games in Brazil. Everything I read about that is delays, botch ups and security issues.

Going back the the OP topic, summer games, don't they start some events early, like soccer, in order to get thru the brackets and into the medal rounds? But yeah, for winter olympics I don't recall it being done before.

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
:curling: 3 more days! :curling:

I LOVEEEE CURLING!!! :mickey::thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I think it might be a warm up for the 2016 summer games in Brazil. Everything I read about that is delays, botch ups and security issues.

Going back the the OP topic, summer games, don't they start some events early, like soccer, in order to get thru the brackets and into the medal rounds? But yeah, for winter olympics I don't recall it being done before.

Soccer may start early, but is never televised... They always show the opening ceremonies, then the next day start showing events... They never showed any preliminary rounds prior to opening ceremonies...

But, as GAN said, it is all about the money, money, money.... All I know is, I tried to watch after Big Bang Theory and just couldn't get into it... I need the opening ceremonies first.. Told ya I'm crazy LOL...