PDA

View Full Version : Making an AK donation??

TiggeRia
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone. I haven't been around in many, many months. This has been a very long and difficult fall for me. Things started off well as I got married on a beautiful September day, but my world crumbled in the following months. We spent a week in Disney in the end of October which turned out disastrous due to family illnesses, a car accident with my new car, etc... Shortly after we returned home my father was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia for three week and while he initially improved he suddenly took a turn for the worse, went on a ventilator and passed away the day before Thanksgiving.

My Dad was my absolute best friend and I have spent the last few months in a fog. We didn't have a funeral at the time because he didn't want one, but we are now working on holding a memorial service and a celebration of his life on what would have been his 70th birthday in March. This brings me to my question.

Disney World was a very special place for my Dad and me. We spent a lot of time there and I am trying to build up the courage to return without him. One thing he absolutely loved about Disney World was the gorilla exhibit on the Pangani trail. He would sit there for hours in his wheelchair watching and photographing them and talking to the guides. I know that Disney has the World Wide Conservation Fund, but does anyone know if there is a way to make a donation to the actual exhibit in the park? I have a feeling Disney will say just donate to the Conservation Fund, but I want my money to go directly to benefit the animals he loved to watch. I don't even know who I could contact to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum....

Strmchsr
02-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Ria, I have a friend who is in management at DAK. I'll contact him about your request and see what I can find.

clausjo
02-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't have any information, but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I think your idea is a wonderful one and I hope you're able to find a way to do it.

mom2morgan
02-08-2014, 11:20 AM
What a lovely idea! I'm so sorry about the loss of your father. I hope when you go back that you find comfort in doing some of the things you used to do together. ((hugs))

TinkerbellT421
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I don't have any answers to your questions but wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. If you need anyone to talk to feel free to message me any time, I know how important it was to have people to talk to when my father passed.

SBETigg
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Ria, I'm so sorry about your bad year and most especially about the loss of your dad. My heartfelt condolences. Wishing you comfort and peace.

Maybe contact a park representative? I see that Chris is looking into it and I hope he can put you in touch with people who can help.

Strmchsr
02-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I was able to get the answer for Ria and sent her a message with all of the details. The DAK management was very helpful.

SBETigg
02-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I was able to get the answer for Ria and sent her a message with all of the details. The DAK management was very helpful.

Good to know! Thanks for the update.:thumbsup:

Terra
02-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I am so sorry about your long sad journey.

But it looks like you may have a way to make a "dream" come true!

:hugs:

VWL Mom
02-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry for your loss but what a wonderful way to remember a part his life that was so important to him! I hope when the time is right you do go back and visit "his" gorillas.