PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland + Universal - No Car

AvonleaCF
02-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Hi!

Tentatively planning a trip to Disneyland later this year (very, very early planning stages; haven't even contacted MJ yet). But I haven't been in YEARS but would love to visit all the old attractions that aren't in Florida anymore, plus I've never been to California Adventure.

Question: since I'm flying from the east coast, and want to do more than just DL while in Cali, what are your thoughts on Universal? I would prefer NOT to rent a car, so are cabs available? What's the best way to get from DL to Universal for a day?

Thanks!

mickclub1955
02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Renting a car would probably be way cheaper.

faline
02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
It's about 40 miles from Disneyland to Universal Studios. Throw in California traffic and it can take you quite a while to travel from Disneyland to Universal.

AvonleaCF
02-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Oh. Bummer.

What else is in the Anaheim area that's worth visiting, if anything?

faline
02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
We spent most of our time at Disneyland but did venture to Universal one day. On another day, we drove to Sea World in San Diego. If I were going again, I'd probably do the San Diego zoo instead of Sea World and might even consider spending a few days in San Diego.

Niecyboo
02-03-2014, 03:17 PM
If you book a Disneyland package, you can add a day at Universal including ground transfers if you would like. It is a shuttle bus, though. They also have other area attractions that you can add to a Disneyland vacation such as tours and other area attractions.

BrerGnat
02-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Oh. Bummer.

What else is in the Anaheim area that's worth visiting, if anything?

Kids or no? Are you a sports fan? There is Angel's Stadium and the Honda Center for hockey. There are nice beaches nearby. Laguna Beach is a very artsy town if that is up your alley. Truth be told, you really will need a rental car if you want to leave DLR property. There is not much in the immediate area. There is Knott's Berry Farm about 15 min north of Disneyland. You could take a cab there fairly easily but it will be expensive.

lindique
02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
There are several tour companies in the area who will pick you up at your hotel (or a nearby hotel) and take you to Universal. They will also offer other things, such as a city tour of LA, trips to San Diego, etc. These trips will be in a large bus, and the pickups and drop offs might take awhile, but it works. I've done this a few times now.

AvonleaCF
05-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Revisiting this thread now that I'm booked. :)

I opted for a one-day trip to the San Diego Zoo instead of Universal. Wendy from MJ arranged it for me. Very much looking forward to the zoo!

I'm booked at the Disneyland Hotel and am planning on the following schedule (for DL I'm using hoppers so can go back-and-forth between the two parks).

Sat - arrive
Sun - DL
Mon - DL
Tue - San Diego Zoo
Wed - DL
Thu - DL
Fri - fly home

Going in September so hoping for light crowds. It's a solo trip but I'm meeting a friend who lives in LA one day.

Only ADR I'm planning on making is for Rainforest Cafe the night I arrive.

Any other suggestions? I've been to WDW 14 times but this is my first visit to DL in nearly 20 years (last time I was 12). First time ever visiting DCA.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM
One suggestion - especially if you are traveling solo, if you don't mind a pricey meal, eat at Napa Rose and sit at the chef's counter. Great food and really neat experience at the chef's counter. They will talk to you and give you some samples, and you can watch food being prepared and the chef's and assistants work. It is mere steps outside the Grand Californian entrance/exit to California Adventure, so you can get there very easily. I have eaten there solo many times when traveling on business. It's a nicer restaurant, so many people will be dressed nicer than theme park clothing, but no one will bat an eye if you are dressed for the theme parks. (I have worn shorts and a sweatshirt there several times since I came from the theme parks and was heading straight back in after dinner.)

tinkwest
06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
One suggestion - especially if you are traveling solo, if you don't mind a pricey meal, eat at Napa Rose and sit at the chef's counter. ...

Eating at the Chef's counter sounds like a fun idea.

Make the time to enjoy a showing of Aladdin at the Hyperion Theatre in DCA. If you are there during the end of September be sure to visit Haunted Mansion in Disneyland for the Nightmare Before Christmas version.

How are you getting to the zoo? If you finish with the zoo and still have time you could walk around the museum portion of Balboa Park. Even if you don't go in the museums themselves, it is a pleasant place to walk.